TonyMilano

Is it game over for me?? Low AVERAGE lsat. How does this affect ranking

Applying broadly. Question about how applications are ranked. 

Highest: 159

Average lsat: 156.3

OLSAS GPA B2: 3.83

For example queens and many others rank your application by average lsat. I have taken it 3 times (155, 155, 159). Meaning Average is 156.3 WHICH IS BELOW THE CUT OFF FOR ACCEPTANCE at least at queens. Meaning my application will be viewed towards the very last of the files most likely after all the seats are filled and with Covid it is predicted applications will increase so they prob won’t even look at my application. I don’t have the time and money to apply next year. It’s all in for me .

OLSAS GPA for B2 is 3.83.

Is it all over for me regarding law school?!? Its 4 AM in the morning and I can’t sleep because of this mental break down.  idk what to do anymore. It seems everything that can go wrong goes wrong but keeping a bit of hope. writing the lsat one more time but nervous my average lsat will go down YET AGAIN. 🙏🏿 Any help and advice for this girl is appreciated regarding how they sort applications and my chances   🤷🏿‍♀️🤷🏿‍♀️. 🤦🏿‍♀️ 

Friend, you need to calm down. As far as I know, the UofA is the only law school in the country to assess applicants by their average LSAT score. I'm mostly unfamiliar with Ontario law school applications, but it seems to be pretty straightforward. 

According to Queens' JD page, for the 2020 admissions cycle, the average L2 GPA was 3.7, while their average highest LSAT was 161. Assuming your L2 GPA is slightly lower than your B2, such as 3.7x, that places you slightly above their GPA average and slightly below their LSAT average. How on earth does this put you out of contention? Not including ECs and whatnot (I don't know to what extent Queen's cares about this stuff), you seem to be an average applicant to that program.

And since when is Queen's the only university in this country? You're competitive not only for Ontario law schools, but for those outside the province!

Drink some tea, pop a melatonin if you have any, and try to sleep. Your anxiety is distorting your perception of your circumstances.

• Thanks 1

Hey girl, I completely understand how stressful the LSAT (and this entire process) can be. But TheMidnightOil is right - you are letting the anxiety get to you, and that is making you not think clearly. Right now your best course of action would be to take some self-care measures and take a dang break!! Before I took the LSAT I had a burn-out period where my PT scores dropped, and the best thing I ever did was take a few days to do something fun and relaxing.

On the topic of chances, most law schools do not take your average LSAT! Only UofA. Most take your best, which is a 159... and which may improve next time you take it! 

I'm fairly sure that it doesn't matter what order the admissions committee looks at the applications, whether that's by looking at high LSAT or high GPA candidates first. It's just a way of compiling the data, nothing more.

Are there less spots if you apply in September vs. in January? Yes. But that doesn't mean that you have less of a chance of getting in if your stats are competitive, which I think they are. They certainly won't fill every seat before even considering your application!

I just took a browse through the Queens Accepted Thread from 2020, and multiple people are getting in with your LSAT and same (or slightly lower) GPA by February. You have a great chance of getting in, to Queens and to other schools if you apply broadly.

We have no idea how COVID-19 will affect admissions competitiveness, because there's just no data for that yet. So it's best to push that from your mind and work on writing a killer personal statement.

Best of luck 🙂

Edited by Firecracker
  • Thanks 1

Your LSAT isn't amazing, nor is it exceptionally low. Your GPA is excellent. Most law schools dont average your LSAT attempts either. 

It may be reasonable for you to assume your application will not necessarily be an immediate standout from all others, but to let yourself be mentally tortured by the belief that your file is outright insufficient for admissions will only do you more harm than good. I understand how you feel, but I promise your stats aren't nearly as bad as you think they are. 

To further support the above, I was accepted into Osgoode and Queens with a 3.7 cGPA and 158 LSAT. Anything is possible.

Edited by LabouriousCorvid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/27/2020 at 9:06 AM, LabouriousCorvid said:

Your LSAT isn't amazing, nor is it exceptionally low. Your GPA is excellent. Most law schools dont average your LSAT attempts either. 

It may be reasonable for you to assume your application will not necessarily be an immediate standout from all others, but to let yourself be mentally tortured by the belief that your file is outright insufficient for admissions will only do you more harm than good. I understand how you feel, but I promise your stats aren't nearly as bad as you think they are. 

To further support the above, I was accepted into Osgoode and Queens with a 3.7 cGPA and 158 LSAT. Anything is possible.

Thank you for this ❤️

On 9/27/2020 at 5:01 AM, TheMidnightOil said:

Friend, you need to calm down. As far as I know, the UofA is the only law school in the country to assess applicants by their average LSAT score. I'm mostly unfamiliar with Ontario law school applications, but it seems to be pretty straightforward. 

According to Queens' JD page, for the 2020 admissions cycle, the average L2 GPA was 3.7, while their average highest LSAT was 161. Assuming your L2 GPA is slightly lower than your B2, such as 3.7x, that places you slightly above their GPA average and slightly below their LSAT average. How on earth does this put you out of contention? Not including ECs and whatnot (I don't know to what extent Queen's cares about this stuff), you seem to be an average applicant to that program.

And since when is Queen's the only university in this country? You're competitive not only for Ontario law schools, but for those outside the province!

Drink some tea, pop a melatonin if you have any, and try to sleep. Your anxiety is distorting your perception of your circumstances.

You are 100% right and I really appreciate all that you said. Means a whole bunch to me ❤️