FrenchToast19

Chances for 2021? (3.1, 3.7, 157)

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering what my chances are. I will probably be applying under Access because of extenuating circumstances that occured in my first year, but here are my stats:

LSAT: 149, 153, 157, 156

cGPA: 3.1

B2: 3.7

Good ECs, and great work experience in the two years I have been out of undergrad.

I'm also wondering if it's worth taking the LSAT again... I have taken it so many times already, but if I could get a 160 would it be worth it?

Thanks!

30 minutes ago, FrenchToast19 said:

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering what my chances are. I will probably be applying under Access because of extenuating circumstances that occured in my first year, but here are my stats:

Good ECs, and great work experience in the two years I have been out of undergrad.

I'm also wondering if it's worth taking the LSAT again... I have taken it so many times already, but if I could get a 160 would it be worth it?

Thanks!

You only applied to Queens?

50% chance for Queens

I am going to be applying broadly, but Queen's is one of my top choices. I'm thinking Queen's, Western, Windsor, Ryerson, Ottawa, Lakehead, and Dalhousie.

Would you stick to 50% chance for Queen's if I was in the general category?

6 hours ago, FrenchToast19 said:

I am going to be applying broadly, but Queen's is one of my top choices. I'm thinking Queen's, Western, Windsor, Ryerson, Ottawa, Lakehead, and Dalhousie.

Would you stick to 50% chance for Queen's if I was in the general category?

I based my estimate on your stats only. 157, GPA 3.1 and B2  3.7

Queens assemble files based on average LSAT . your average is 153.75. 

15 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

I based my estimate on your stats only. 157, GPA 3.1 and B2  3.7

Queens assemble files based on average LSAT . your average is 153.75. 

Nope, Queens is highest LSAT. From their FAQ:

How do you treat multiple LSAT scores?

The Admissions Committee will rely on the highest score achieved at the time of the admission decision.

34 minutes ago, MountainMon said:

The Admissions Committee will rely on the highest score achieved at the time of the admission decision.

Queen's looks at the highest score, but sorts files by average scores. 

Correct. Which would just mean your file will be farther down the pile they go through, and so you may hear back quite late. But your stats are also very borderline,  so you would hear back late regardless. 

1 hour ago, MountainMon said:

.. Queens assemble files based on average LSAT . your average is 153.75. 

Edited by Luckycharm

On 9/24/2020 at 12:38 PM, FrenchToast19 said:

I have taken it so many times already, but if I could get a 160 would it be worth it?

Of course it's worth it if you can get a 160. So the question is: can you get a 160? 4 LSAT attempts is already a lot, and your best one was still 3 points shy of 160. 

You seem to have hit your ceiling in terms of LSAT score. You could just keep spending the money and write LSATs until you get lucky and break through 160. Whether it's worth the time and effort for something that might not happen is up to you.

I wouldn't write the LSAT again unless you're scoring at least 165 on PT's (this comes from the assumption that you may score lower on the actual LSAT so you would still be able to likely score a low 160) - because I believe you can only write 5 LSAT's within a 5 year period. After the 5th you're kinda screwed if you don't hit your best score on the 5th try.

4 minutes ago, 76th said:

I wouldn't write the LSAT again unless you're scoring at least 165 on PT's (this comes from the assumption that you may score lower on the actual LSAT so you would still be able to likely score a low 160) - because I believe you can only write 5 LSAT's within a 5 year period. After the 5th you're kinda screwed if you don't hit your best score on the 5th try.

I'm not entirely sure but that 5 year rule may be different with the FLEXs. Or maybe the exception I'm thinking of only applied to the first few FLEX exams offered...? Either way it's something OP should look into.

11 minutes ago, JE82J6BD24 said:

I'm not entirely sure but that 5 year rule may be different with the FLEXs. Or maybe the exception I'm thinking of only applied to the first few FLEX exams offered...? Either way it's something OP should look into.

Yup the August Flex was the last  flex LSAT that did not count towards your limit. All LSATs going further will count towards the limit, unless LSAC throws in something to change that. 

Edited by 76th
  • Like 1

On 9/25/2020 at 1:02 PM, Tagger said:

Queen's looks at the highest score, but sorts files by average scores. 

Oh I see now, did not know that. That strikes me as strange.

5 hours ago, MountainMon said:

Oh I see now, did not know that. That strikes me as strange.

now you know

On 9/24/2020 at 3:38 PM, FrenchToast19 said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Going strictly based on their admissions criteria, they would consider your 3.7b2 and 157 LSAT. This would be the minimum cutoff for admissions consideration in their program. Your application would be considered, but would be near the bottom of the list due to the averaging of your LSAT score and your low cGPA. I would say it could be a toss up - completely depends on others applying with you.

Your best shot is to make your application stand out from others in your personal statement, EC's and references. Unless you're scoring mid 160s in your PTs i would not rewrite the LSAT unless you're 100% sure you can hit 160 or above. Many rewrites don't look good on your application unless its a significant improvement. Typically, if you have less than a 160 LSAT, your b2 gpa better be damn good. 

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone, this is a great forum.  I have a 158 LSAT (August 2020) , CGPA of 3.76 , L2 both 3.93 @ University of Toronto St.G.  Have great references and work in the government currently and have been involved in a club every year during Uni.  I am a little concerned about writing the LSAT again since my test prep has crashed and I am reading they sort by average LSAT.

Edited by MrJFJR

On 10/1/2020 at 1:25 PM, MrJFJR said:

Hi everyone, this is a great forum.  I have a 158 LSAT (August 2020) , CGPA of 3.76 , L2 both 3.93 @ University of Toronto St.G.  Have great references and work in the government currently and have been involved in a club every year during Uni.  I am a little concerned about writing the LSAT again since my test prep has crashed and I am reading they sort by average LSAT.

If you're asking specifically about Queen's, I'd say you have a pretty good chance of getting accepted. 160+ and you'd be in for sure though (as long as other parts of your application are good as well obviously).