Dofin42

Would it be Difficult to Find a Job in Vancouver With a Degree From Ontario?

20 minutes ago, FortifiedEight said:

(Due to a love of reopening zombie threads)

Personal anecdote here, but in the articling recruit this is exactly what I said. I'm now going to article in Vancouver next year. :) But one firm was really pressed by why I'd want to go to Vancouver. They were a firm that has a negative reputation, and they fulfilled it in the interview. They just kept asking, why Vancouver? How will you fit in? What will you do here?

This seems crazy to me. You'd do the same thing in Vancouver that you'd do anywhere else - socialize with a handful of friends once every few weeks if your schedules somehow line up. Throw kids in the mix and make that once every few months. My closest friends live in another city and I sometimes think if I moved back we'd all hang out and have a blast like it's a beer commercial when, in reality, they only really hang out with each other once in a blue moon and all have busy lives.

Same with family. My family isn't really one of those "lets hang all the time" types. We get together a couple times a year. I don't need some sort of super strong connection to a city/province in order to live there. 

Edit: I realize that not everybody here is 30+. YMMV. 

Edited by setto
  • Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• I don't think they weigh your cGPA too heavily. My cGPA is pretty tragic but I have a strong L2 and a sub-par LSAT and was waitlisted last cycle. I know that's not an acceptance but I really do think they prioritize your L2, and favour a strong upward trend. (I have friends who were accepted over previous cycles with lower cGPA's but strong L2's as well). 
    • I was accepted by Western this cycle with with a 3.08 cGPA and a 3.65 L2 (and a 167 LSAT). Mind you, I also have 2 masters degrees and got an A- average in both (both were course-based). I think cGPA does matter, but they account for how long ago your undergrad was and what you've done since then, and whether you've proved that you could probably do better if you were given another chance (and ergo succeed in law school). 
    • Hi, are there any LLM applicants for the year 2021/2022 who received an admission e mail from Dalhousie? My application was completed on 31st March 2021 and waiting for a reply from the University. Just wondering whether any one of you guys have an update.    Thank you!!!
    • There are a lot of municipalities in Canada. City of Toronto hires a few articling students (most of their lawyers are former articling students and they rarely hire from outside though), along with Region of Peel, York Region, and some others I've seen. For federal government, there is only really the DOJ Legal Excellence Program. The municipalities also hire junior lawyers and I've seen quite a few postings in York Region and the surrounding areas. The process is a lot faster than the federal government which can take over a year from the time you apply. The federal government rarely hires junior lawyers outside of its articling students and federal court clerks. And you often see mid-level lawyers applying for LP-01 positions with the federal government and going through a written exam and interview processes just to end up in a waiting pool. I know people who applied in 2019 for the most recent DOJ LP-01 recruitment process and were put into a waiting pool which is scheduled to expire soon, after which point you have to apply all over again. So getting your foot in the door is a lot harder than it is for municipal and provincial. Certainly, getting into provincial is easier than municipal as there are a lot more legal positions available as well. 
    • Hey I'm a bit late here but I can give you my personal experience. It is quit the contrary of what your expectations seem to be. I did 3 years CEGEP and a 4 year Undergrad (just because I took my time). I spent some time managing a restaurant, then started a law certificate in the evening, then law school. I thought I would be disadvantaged because my background was so far away form the classic path to Biglaw. I will be 28 when graduating. I just did my Course aux stages and got 4 offers, while having a 3.65 GPA. First, they don't care about your age. If you have done anything productive in the past 10 years, it will be a great advantage to you in the interviews, because you might have more to say than anyone else. Find a way to highlight your maturity/leadership or whatever it is you have developed while others were in high school. I had a lot of misconceptions about a supposed prejudice towards older candidates, but I can assure you they don't really care. Get involved in whatever gets you going and be passionate about something. Good luck!