Dofin42

Would it be Difficult to Find a Job in Vancouver With a Degree From Ontario?

The title is basically the question. Does a degree from an Ontario school hinder the chance of someone getting an (articling) job in BC, particularly in Vancouver?

You're going to have to explain (in your cover letter) why you want to article in Vancouver/BC and put the firms at ease that you're not a flight risk. Firms don't want to hire + train someone who's just going to go back to Ontario after articles.

If you're from Vancouver (or somewhere in BC) then it's fairly easy to just mention that in your applications. If you have 0 ties to BC, you're going to have to be a good salesperson (or have such a stellar application that you're worth the risk).

Lots of people with out-of-province degrees secure articles in Vancouver, but a vast majority of those people were from Vancouver in the first place.

• Like 2

Does your school in ON have OCIs from Vancouver firms? If so, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If no Vancouver firms OCI at your school, then you've got some extra leg work to do. 

If you're having trouble with the "Why Vancouver" question during an in-firm interview in the middle of the winter, just open the window and gesture around broadly. Should work fine. 

In all seriousness, I get the impression that the "flight risk" thing is becoming less and less of an issue if you interview with a national. I work on a lot of the files in my firm's other offices and I don't think my home jurisdiction would even realize if I moved to another one of our offices. Although I would be losing out on some of the business development that I've cultivated over the last while. 

Having said that - even if it's becoming less of a thing, it's still a thing in a very competitive market. 

15 hours ago, setto said:

If you're having trouble with the "Why Vancouver" question during an in-firm interview in the middle of the winter, just open the window and gesture around broadly. Should work fine. 

LOL. Thanks for the opinion!

1 hour ago, BeetleGirl said:

More than half the lawyers in my firm (including me) have law degrees from outside BC. Enough said.

I wonder how many of them were originally from BC or lived in BC at some point before law school though. I'm willing to bet most of them had some sort of meaningful connection to BC before securing jobs here.

On 9/29/2020 at 11:28 AM, canuckfanatic said:

I wonder how many of them were originally from BC or lived in BC at some point before law school though. I'm willing to bet most of them had some sort of meaningful connection to BC before securing jobs here.

It is unclear what you bet, but be ready to give it up now: I can certify that most of them did not have meaningful connections to BC before seeking jobs here after law school elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, BeetleGirl said:

It is unclear what you bet, but be ready to give it up now: I can certify that most of them did not have meaningful connections to BC before seeking jobs here after law school elsewhere. 

Interesting... I wonder, if you have zero connections to BC, except, for example, your spouse, partner, etc., how would you get that across when applying for jobs there? I imagine it helps to show a BC connection, but it also doesn't seem like the kind of thing you would put into a CV or cover letter 😆

Not a barrier at all. My SO studied in Ontario and is working at a Vancouver firm now. You just have to really explain why you want it. Having great stats doesn't hurt.

• Like 2

On 10/4/2020 at 8:22 PM, MustangSally said:

Having great stats doesn't hurt.

Great stats actually would overpower almost everything else, imo. I have never hired people for a law firm, but I have hired for several hard-nosed businesses in my pre-law life. If I have an applicant currently residing in Ottawa who ranked top 10% of her class at UO and another currently residing in Vancouver with 'B' grades from UBC, am I going to worry why the Ottawa applicant wants the position I am filling in Vancouver? Probably not. 

2 minutes ago, BeetleGirl said:

Great stats actually would overpower almost everything else, imo. I have never hired people for a law firm, but I have hired for several hard-nosed businesses in my pre-law life. If I have an applicant currently residing in Ottawa who ranked top 10% of her class at UO and another currently residing in Vancouver with 'B' grades from UBC, am I going to worry why the Ottawa applicant wants the position I am filling in Vancouver? Probably not. 

That’s not how every legal employer makes hiring decisions. Some care a great deal about grades, but many others don’t. 

• Like 2

I do get the sense that the Vancouver market is a bit insular (just an observation - correct me if I'm wrong), and so some employers do want to know why Vancouver despite strong stats...

How would you get that info (i.e., SO in Vancouver) across, just to let them know that you're am not randomly applying to Vancouver? It seems inappropriate to include in a cover letter...

7 hours ago, poshspice said:

I do get the sense that the Vancouver market is a bit insular (just an observation - correct me if I'm wrong), and so some employers do want to know why Vancouver despite strong stats...

How would you get that info (i.e., SO in Vancouver) across, just to let them know that you're am not randomly applying to Vancouver? It seems inappropriate to include in a cover letter...

".....due to strong personal ties in Vancouver along with a love of mountains"

• Haha 1

On 10/6/2020 at 10:46 AM, QuincyWagstaff said:

That’s not how every legal employer makes hiring decisions. Some care a great deal about grades, but many others don’t. 

Right. Somehow unsupported by emperical findings of correlation between law school grades and job and earning prospects.

https://repository.law.umich.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1035&context=alumni_survey_scholarship

6 hours ago, BeetleGirl said:

Right. Somehow unsupported by emperical findings of correlation between law school grades and job and earning prospects.

https://repository.law.umich.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1035&context=alumni_survey_scholarship

Why do you think this refutes, let alone addresses, the below?

On 10/6/2020 at 1:46 PM, QuincyWagstaff said: