Syndicate03

Does this make sense?

For my Queens personal statement, i briefly talked about why i want to study there, and specifically mentioned their constitutional law program. However I wasn't sure if I should say Im interested in  Queens' constitutional law program, or does it make more sense to say I'm interested in the law program as a whole, specifically the areas of constitutional law. Essentially, Im just not sure if highlighting the program is what you're supposed to do or if its just part of the law program as a whole. I know this may be stupid but god forbid I make a glaring error like that in my PS lol

• Confused 1

@Adrian Yeah lol, like on their website if you look at programs there are 4 that they specify, constitutional, business, criminal and international law

Queen's in the past has been known for labour and employment, criminal, and family law, but has been shifting to a more business-focus in recent years. Maybe mention your interest in a particular area of law that is more broad, clinical programs they offer, or professors you would like to work with and learn from, but really the personal statement should focus on why you are the right candidate for their program. Your job is to sell yourself to them and not the other way around. 

The closest most lawyers get to practicing "constitutional law" is criminal law. I would not mention it in your personal statement unless you want to create a narrative around pursuing legal academia.

@Deadpool that's great, thanks. I'm interested in Environmental Law, and mentioned the exchange program that queens offers with other universities that also environmental law program (university of Sydney). However, I also mentioned constitutional law because of the slight overlap that it has with Environmental law, but if what you're saying is true, it'd probably be best to just revise/take out that part?

19 hours ago, Syndicate03 said:

@Adrian Yeah lol, like on their website if you look at programs there are 4 that they specify, constitutional, business, criminal and international law

Yeah, I get it now.  I thought there was some sort of specialized program, but this is just advertising a strength.