Sign in to follow this  
HumanCalculator

Chances UDEM?

I have a 4.02/4.3 GPA from JMSB, which I am well aware is a respectable GPA, however, the reason I am making this thread is because I am wondering if UDEM considers any other elements in an applicants' besides GPA? I was refused from McGill last cycle (likely due to poor EC's and PS). 

I absolutely have some concerns studying fully in French for the first time in many years, as I am an anglophone and not 100% confident in my French being fluent. If my GPA is pretty close to being a sure thing for civil QC schools, then I may just want to brush up on my French for the next several months and prepare for the TFI because I'm not satisfied with my LSAT progress and I'm unsure if I want to write it for this cycle and potentially hurt my chances at McGill again.

Also, when should I write the TFI? Should I only write it if I'm offered a conditional acceptance or do most applicants already write it at the time of their application?

Thank you in advance, I've found this forum to be very helpful 

Edited by HumanCalculator
small detail

You will definitely get in to université de montréal (and wherever else that is Civil law). They do not evaluate anything other than grades (your GPA, program and university)

J'ai été accepté au bac. à l'UdeM 3.55, 90 crédits. J'étais sur la liste d'attente et j'étais  à la 15e ou 16e position.  

As for the TFI, you need a 785/990 to be considered for UdeM. I would suggest taking the TFI as soon as you apply, giving yourself as much time as you need. It is helpful to note that you are allowed to take the TFI as many times as it is offered (usually once every month) and you may submit the grade that you choose to UdeM (arguably, your best grade) once you are satisfied with it. You must make sure this grade is obtained at a maximum of 18 months (I believe?) prior to being admitted so it is still valid. One downside of going this route may be it might be quite costly, as the TFI hovers around 95 USD. However, if you choose to do this I believe it takes some of the pressure of receiving a perfect score right off the first try so it may be worth it. Of course, this is just my opinion though!

@raylaw do you know if you can take the TFI after you apply? I read somewhere that you can apply and be accepted without it but that you need to take it before the school year starts and that if you do poorly they can cancel your admission

Based on my personal experience, you can absolutely take it after you apply but you do not have to wait until you receive an acceptance in order to take it. You may be accepted on condition that you obtain the required grade (785/990) and in case that this is not obtained then it would result in a refusal.

It may also be the case that they accept you, had you not received the grade requirement, on condition that you fulfill some french course(s) on top of your legal course load. Although, I am not sure what grade/conditions you need to have this scenario happen to you. 

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, raylaw said:

Based on my personal experience, you can absolutely take it after you apply but you do not have to wait until you receive an acceptance in order to take it. You may be accepted on condition that you obtain the required grade (785/990) and in case that this is not obtained then it would result in a refusal.

It may also be the case that they accept you, had you not received the grade requirement, on condition that you fulfill some french course(s) on top of your legal course load. Although, I am not sure what grade/conditions you need to have this scenario happen to you. 

Hope this helps.

Hmm thanks for this info. Now I have to decide if I want to spend time studying for the LSAT or TFI 😕

I think you should definitely give the TFI a shot. Are you bilingual? Especially with your GPA, I think you have an excellent chance getting in to UdeM! 

On 10/5/2020 at 8:30 PM, HumanCalculator said:

Hmm thanks for this info. Now I have to decide if I want to spend time studying for the LSAT or TFI 😕

I think you should definitely give the TFI a shot. Are you bilingual? Especially with your GPA, I think you have an excellent chance getting in to UdeM!