Portzy

Is "Law - Hold" a good sign?

In previous years, has an application being marked as "Law - Hold" early in the cycle been a good sign or a bad sign?? Or has there been not really been a correlation?

This is my interpretation of UVic's application statuses. Take it with a grain of salt, but it's been consistent with self-reported data on this forum over the past few cycles.  

Application submitted: Self-explanatory. 

Forwarded for Review: Mostly self-explanatory. 

App Forwarded: Admissions Officer (new as of 2019): Your index score meets or exceeds the auto-admit cutoff. Applicants who received this status last cycle were admitted as early as November. 

To Committee for Review: Your index score falls below the auto-admit threshold, but will be holistically reviewed by the admissions committee. 

Law - Hold: The admissions committee is waiting for more information (usually final grades for applicants who have yet to complete undergrad).

Decision pending: Typically a bad sign. Usually followed by a rejection later on in the cycle.  

Edited by Tagger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Was it normal to see it go from App submitted, straight to Law - Hold?

So far the only thing they don't have is my current term marks.

Are you completing the fall semester of your fourth year right now? If so, that's normal. 

Yeah this fall semester is my last semester before completing my degree

On 9/22/2020 at 4:01 PM, Portzy said:

Was it normal to see it go from App submitted, straight to Law - Hold?

So far the only thing they don't have is my current term marks.

I wouldn't sweat it if I were you.

My status went from App Submitted straight to Law - Hold last year as I indicated that I was waiting on a LSAT score. It then changed from Law - Hold about 1 week (?) after my score release date.

Edited by iamcold
  • Thanks 1

Since I am sticking with the LSAT writing I did last year, it seems like they're waiting on my Fall grades. Will that preclude me from being offered a conditional acceptance early in the cycle? My self-calculated index score was at 913 iirc.

My status recently changed from "forwarded: Admissions Officer" to "forwarded for review", any idea what this means? 

2 hours ago, GoblinKing said:

My status recently changed from "forwarded: Admissions Officer" to "forwarded for review", any idea what this means? 

May I ask what your index score is?

5 hours ago, GoblinKing said:

Sit back and relax. Neither UBC nor UVic issue acceptances until late October or November, so you'll get in with that index score. 

Do you know what the auto-admit index score is? I know each year there is variation in the applicant pool and I've seen people say anywhere between 905-930 which is a pretty broad range. Any further insights would help.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ilovedogs said:

Do you know what the auto-admit index score is? I know each year there is variation in the applicant pool and I've seen people say anywhere between 905-930 which is a pretty broad range. Any further insights would help.

The folks at uVic told me that they'll be discussing this within the coming weeks. I'd suggest emailing them in October to find out.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, GoblinKing said:

The folks at uVic told me that they'll be discussing this within the coming weeks. I'd suggest emailing them in October to find out.

Bump for someone to let us know when they find out

Posted (edited)

I got this on my application too. I wonder if it will change, or maybe they will decide to admit us before receiving our fall grades? I applied with a 3.7 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) before any drops and I got a 166 on the LSAT. 

Edited by Candleholder3

On 9/22/2020 at 3:52 PM, Tagger said:

This is my interpretation of UVic's application statuses. Take it with a grain of salt, but it's been consistent with self-reported data on this forum over the past few cycles.  

App Forwarded: Admissions Officer (new as of 2019): Your index score meets or exceeds the auto-admit cutoff. Applicants who received this status last cycle were admitted as early as November. 

To Committee for Review: Your index score falls below the auto-admit threshold, but will be holistically reviewed by the admissions committee. 

Law - Hold: The admissions committee is waiting for more information (usually final grades for applicants who have yet to complete undergrad).

Decision pending: Typically a bad sign. Usually followed by a rejection later on in the cycle.  

Do you know how long the application remains in the "To Committee for Review" stage or does it vary?

On 9/22/2020 at 3:52 PM, Tagger said:

"Applicant Cancelled - Applicant withdrew application prior to admission decision

App Forwarded for Review - This stage may take several months

Additional item(s) required - See Requirements checklist for missing items.

Law - Hold - Your application has been evaluated and a final decision is pending. This stage may take several months.

Law Conditional Offer Accepted - See your offer letter for the conditions that must be met.

Law - to Committee for review - This stage may take several months.

Decision Pending - Your application has been reviewed but a final decision has not been made."

This is the one I've been seeing floating around, I think it might be from UVIC as it gives no indicated of good nor bad.

On 10/1/2020 at 11:41 AM, Portzy said:

Bump for someone to let us know when they find out

Any updates on the auto-admit index yet..?

• Like 2

On 10/27/2020 at 4:31 PM, hopefulforlaw said:

Do you know how long the application remains in the "To Committee for Review" stage or does it vary?

It depends on how competitive you are. This is how it works: 

On 11/20/2018 at 9:19 AM, rkathleen said:

Each member looks at your stats, reads your personal statement, and considers your undergraduate degree difficulty, experience etc. They then each make a ranking of candidates, and get back together to discuss their top picks until all offers are sent out. As offers are declined and spots become available, they do the entire deliberation again.

• Like 1