PotentialLawStudent

Chances? (2.9 cGPA / 3.64 L2 / 155)

Hi everyone,

I am just wondering what my chances would be to be accepted to law schools in Ontario (ideally near Toronto area).
I came to the realization that I wanted to apply to law school a bit late, and I didnt have much time to study for the LSAT that I wrote in August, which I got a 155 score. Although I know if i study more I can get a better result , and I am also planning on writing it in November again. 

I am currently doing my master's degree and will be done soon in the winter term. I am hoping to get in this cycle but, if i dont, I will apply next year with a much better LSAT score to compensate for my low GPA. Speaking of low GPA, English is not my first language, hence why I did so poorly in the first 2 years of university. However, during my last year of university I did very well- also want to point out that I am in the science field! During my undergraduate degree, I was in the co-op stream and therefore have some work experience. I also volunteer and have a lot of extra curriculum on my resume. Having said that, I do not have any work/volunteer experience in the legal field. 

I think I can get good recommendation letters, one of them for sure will be super strong as I have known the person for years, the others will be good. I also think I can write good personal statements.

Side note: I am a bit worried about my age too, since I am a bit older than the typical applicant, and thats why I really want to get in this year instead of waiting for another year.

14 minutes ago, PotentialLawStudent said:

Hi everyone,

I am just wondering what my chances would be to be accepted to law schools in Ontario (ideally near Toronto area).
I came to the realization that I wanted to apply to law school a bit late, and I didnt have much time to study for the LSAT that I wrote in August, which I got a 155 score. Although I know if i study more I can get a better result , and I am also planning on writing it in November again. 

I am currently doing my master's degree and will be done soon in the winter term. I am hoping to get in this cycle but, if i dont, I will apply next year with a much better LSAT score to compensate for my low GPA. Speaking of low GPA, English is not my first language, hence why I did so poorly in the first 2 years of university. However, during my last year of university I did very well- also want to point out that I am in the science field! During my undergraduate degree, I was in the co-op stream and therefore have some work experience. I also volunteer and have a lot of extra curriculum on my resume. Having said that, I do not have any work/volunteer experience in the legal field. 

I think I can get good recommendation letters, one of them for sure will be super strong as I have known the person for years, the others will be good. I also think I can write good personal statements.

Side note: I am a bit worried about my age too, since I am a bit older than the typical applicant, and thats why I really want to get in this year instead of waiting for another year.

Do you have any specific reasons for your bad grades besides language issue? 

New immigrant?  Your GPA is not competitive and you are left with L2. B2 and schools with drops.

Schools that are near Toronto- Ryerson is in Toronto, Queens and Western  are  3 and 2 hours away.

How old are you?

On 9/22/2020 at 4:11 PM, Luckycharm said:

Do you have any specific reasons for your bad grades besides language issue? 

New immigrant?  Your GPA is not competitive and you are left with L2. B2 and schools with drops.

Schools that are near Toronto- Ryerson is in Toronto, Queens and Western  are  3 and 2 hours away.

How old are you?

Hey, 

Other than the language issue, i had to work a lot during the first year and second year, because I was trying to be more independent and make sure I dont accumulate too much debt. I came to Canada for high school, so not so much of a newcomer i would say, but I didnt know much of English when I came here.

I am 26 at the moment. 

Edited by PotentialLawStudent

27 minutes ago, PotentialLawStudent said:

Hey, 

Other than the language issue, i had to work a lot during the first year and second year, because I was trying to be more independent and make sure I dont accumulate too much debt. I came to Canada for high school, so not so much of a newcomer i would say, but I didnt know much of English when I came here.

I am 26 at the moment. 

26 is not old.. I thought you are 40.

Are you planning to rewrite/

You're going to be limited to the law schools that evaluate GPA based on your Best 2 or Last 2 years.

Your L2 is good enough, but in combination with that LSAT score I think you're outside of what would be considered "competitive" for most schools. You'll need a 160+ on the LSAT. You might land on a couple of waitlists this year, but I wouldn't expect to get accepted this cycle unless you can up that LSAT score by 5+ points.

On 9/22/2020 at 12:52 PM, PotentialLawStudent said:

I am in the science field

Unfortunately schools don't really care what program you were in or how "difficult" that program was.

I also volunteer and have a lot of extra curriculum on my resume.

That's a good thing, and will help you when applying to schools that use a holistic admissions process (like Queen's). That said, pretty much every law school applicant volunteers and has a lot of extra curriculars on their resume. It doesn't make you stand out, but it does help you meet expectations.

I do not have any work/volunteer experience in the legal field. 

It sounds counter-intuitive, but law schools also don't really care if you have prior experience in the legal field.

I am a bit worried about my age too, since I am a bit older than the typical applicant

At an informational event I went to in undergrad with several admissions directors, one of them said that the average 1st year law student is 27 years old. You're not older than the typical applicant. In fact, you're perfectly average in that regard.

Edited by canuckfanatic

27 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

OP said in their first paragraph:

I am also planning on writing it in November again. 

1 hour ago, canuckfanatic said:

That's a good thing, and will help you when applying to schools that use a holistic admissions process (like Queen's). That said, pretty much every law school applicant volunteers and has a lot of extra curriculars on their resume. It doesn't make you stand out, but it does help you meet expectations.

I always thought Queens is L2 + LSAT focused and are less holistic than other schools like Windsor 

1 hour ago, Dreamchaser said:

I always thought Queens is L2 + LSAT focused and are less holistic than other schools like Windsor 

Technically Queens is B2, but yeah, from what I've seen they are pretty numbered focused. They only had a single prompt for PS and it was the normal, generic one. 

1 hour ago, Dreamchaser said:

You're right, I mistook their access category description for their general category

9 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

26 is not old.. I thought you are 40.

Yes I am, in Novemer or January and if i still dont get a decent mark i will have to apply for next year. 

9 hours ago, canuckfanatic said:

You're going to be limited to the law schools that evaluate GPA based on your Best 2 or Last 2 years.

Your L2 is good enough, but in combination with that LSAT score I think you're outside of what would be considered "competitive" for most schools. You'll need a 160+ on the LSAT. You might land on a couple of waitlists this year, but I wouldn't expect to get accepted this cycle unless you can up that LSAT score by 5+ points.

Unfortunately schools don't really care what program you were in or how "difficult" that program was.

It sounds counter-intuitive, but law schools also don't really care if you have prior experience in the legal field.

At an informational event I went to in undergrad with several admissions directors, one of them said that the average 1st year law student is 27 years old. You're not older than the typical applicant. In fact, you're perfectly average in that regard.

Thanks! Are there any schools that might look at the applicants more holistically? 

10 hours ago, PotentialLawStudent said:

Yes I am, in Novemer or January and if i still dont get a decent mark i will have to apply for next year. 

get 160+ will improve your chance..

10 hours ago, PotentialLawStudent said:

Thanks! Are there any schools that might look at the applicants more holistically? 

Many schools have some sort  of "holistic" approach but I think Windsor is "most holistic"