TheMidnightOil

2020/2021 Admitted Applicant Profile Released

10 hours ago, TheMidnightOil said:

It's no longer publicly available, but I luckily downloaded it weeks ago.

https://imgur.com/a/r5ZrVfZ

Is it just me or does it look like there is a trend of admitting people with lower GPAs, but higher LSATs as compared to last year.

• Like 1

Wait, are these stats without factoring in PS and ECs at all? Does this mean my ~3.4 and 162.5 lsat has a shot?

2 hours ago, lawwwww said:

Wait, are these stats without factoring in PS and ECs at all? Does this mean my ~3.4 and 162.5 lsat has a shot?

Yes, the regular category only considers GPA and LSAT.

The unofficial index calculator that often goes around is:

(GPA of your last 60 credits)(22.5) + (LSAT average)

A score of 242 and above is considered a confident acceptance into the regular category. ~239 to ~241 can be borderline.

In your case:

(3.4)(22.5) + 162.5 = 239

So that's cutting it kinda close. You still have a good shot in the holistic round (which starts in April, I think) depending on your personal statement. I would take the time to calculate your precise L60* GPA. For example, if it turned out to be 3.44, your total would come to 239.9, which gives you a better chance even if it's still borderline for the regular category.

Keep in mind that we don't know the exact index calculator the admissions committee uses year-to-year -- that's confidential as far as I know. What we have is just an estimate based on past applicant profiles.

Remember also that your grades from the Wi2020 will not be considered, but the credits will be accepted if you passed those courses. So, when calculating your L60, if you took 5 courses in Wi2020 and passed all of them, only the grades of the other 15 will be considered, assuming each course is worth 3 credits.

Edited by TheMidnightOil

19 hours ago, TheMidnightOil said:

Remember also that your grades from the Wi2020 will not be considered, but the credits will be accepted if you passed those courses. So, when calculating your L60, if you took 5 courses in Wi2020 and passed all of them, only the grades of the other 15 will be considered, assuming each course is worth 3 credits.

@TheMidnightOil Thanks for posting this! I didn't realize that.

Where did you read/hear that only the grades of the remaining 15 would be considered? I read on the UofA site that the Winter 2020 grades would be disregarded in GPA calculation, but not that they would then use fewer than the last 20 courses to calculate GPA. I certainly hope this is the case. I worked very hard that semester to maintain a 4.0 GPA and raise my L20, and if they aren't considered and UofA does count further back into my coursework as a result, it would definitely drop my GPA.

6 hours ago, Musashi said:

@TheMidnightOil Thanks for posting this! I didn't realize that.

Where did you read/hear that only the grades of the remaining 15 would be considered? I read on the UofA site that the Winter 2020 grades would be disregarded in GPA calculation, but not that they would then use fewer than the last 20 courses to calculate GPA. I certainly hope this is the case. I worked very hard that semester to maintain a 4.0 GPA and raise my L20, and if they aren't considered and UofA does count further back into my coursework as a result, it would definitely drop my GPA.

UofA Law will NOT go further back to get your grades.

Right, this matter is a bit confusing, and it comes down to 'credits' vs 'grades'.

The credits of Wi2020 will be considered for your L60* GPA. That is, if you had 5 three-credit courses in Wi2020 and passed all of them, all 15* will count for your L60* GPA. But for the GPA calculation of your L60*, only the grades of the remaining 45* outside of Wi2020 will count. This is necessary since you can't factor 'CR' in a GPA calculation.

Maybe this will make more sense if I provide an example partial transcript. Assume each course is worth 3*:

Winter 2019

Course 1: A (4.0)

Course 2: A- (3.7)

Course 3: B+ (3.3)

Course 4: A (4.0)

Course 5: A+ (4.0)

Fall 2019

Course 6: A (4.0)

Course 7: A- (3.7)

Course 8: A (4.0)

Course 9: A+ (4.0)

Winter 2020

Course 10: CR

Course 11: CR

Course 12: CR

Course 13: CR

Course 14: CR

Spring 2020

Course 15: A+ (4.0)

Fall 2020

Course 16: A (4.0)

Course 17: A- (3.7)

Course 18: A (4.0)

Course 19: A (4.0)

Course 20: A+ (4.0)

Winter 2021 (not considered for Law 2021 Admissions)

(Who cares if you're not a 2-year applicant, could be 5 D+s for all they care for 2021 Admissions).

---

The total L60* GPA here, since we have grades for only 15 of the 20 counted courses, is 3.893. Hence, all 20 courses are counted, but we only have the grades of 15 to work with when making a grade calculation, though the CRs are counted in the 60* total.

I hope this makes sense and I didn't end up confusing you further. If you like, you can email the recruiter if you want further assurance (I emailed her myself and got confirmation for the explanation I'm giving you).

https://www.ualberta.ca/covid-19/students/fall-2020/how-will-my-winter-grades-impact-admission-to-u-of-a.html

Edited by TheMidnightOil
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TheMidnightOil said:

UofA Law will NOT go further back to get your grades.

Right, this matter is a bit confusing, and it comes down to 'credits' vs 'grades'.

The credits of Wi2020 will be considered for your L60* GPA. That is, if you had 5 three-credit courses in Wi2020 and passed all of them, all 15* will count for your L60* GPA. But for the GPA calculation of your L60*, only the grades of the remaining 45* outside of Wi2020 will count. This is necessary since you can't factor 'CR' in a GPA calculation.

Maybe this will make more sense if I provide an example partial transcript. Assume each course is worth 3*:

Winter 2019

Course 1: A (4.0)

Course 2: A- (3.7)

Course 3: B+ (3.3)

Course 4: A (4.0)

Course 5: A+ (4.0)

Fall 2019

Course 6: A (4.0)

Course 7: A- (3.7)

Course 8: A (4.0)

Course 9: A+ (4.0)

Winter 2020

Course 10: CR

Course 11: CR

Course 12: CR

Course 13: CR

Course 14: CR

Spring 2020

Course 15: A+ (4.0)

Fall 2020

Course 16: A (4.0)

Course 17: A- (3.7)

Course 18: A (4.0)

Course 19: A (4.0)

Course 20: A+ (4.0)

Winter 2021 (not considered for Law 2021 Admissions)

(Who cares if you're not a 2-year applicant, could be 5 D+s for all they care for 2021 Admissions).

---

The total L60* GPA here, since we have grades for only 15 of the 20 counted courses, is 3.893. Hence, all 20 courses are counted, but we only have the grades of 15 to work with when making a grade calculation, though the CRs are counted in the 60* total.

I hope this makes sense and I didn't end up confusing you further. If you like, you can email the recruiter if you want further assurance (I emailed her myself and got confirmation for the explanation I'm giving you).

https://www.ualberta.ca/covid-19/students/fall-2020/how-will-my-winter-grades-impact-admission-to-u-of-a.html

Wow this really sucks. This will bring down my GPA heavy. I wish they included the last 20 courses for GPA, excluding winter 2020.

7 hours ago, cguy said:

Wow this really sucks. This will bring down my GPA heavy. I wish they included the last 20 courses for GPA, excluding winter 2020.

:( Sorry to hear that. You can use the unofficial calculator I mentioned above to determine how well you might fare for this upcoming cycle's regular category.

Thank you for the example @TheMidnightOil,

I took a full year (6 credit) course last year, and the grade was received in Winter 2020. This means that I had 4 graded courses in Fall 2019, Would admissions then consider by Best 14? or go back to my second year?

Just to clarify, I took 20 Courses in my last two years (5/semester) 

14 hours ago, TheHarveySpectre said:

Thank you for the example @TheMidnightOil,

I took a full year (6 credit) course last year, and the grade was received in Winter 2020. This means that I had 4 graded courses in Fall 2019, Would admissions then consider by Best 14? or go back to my second year?

Just to clarify, I took 20 Courses in my last two years (5/semester) 

It's less clear what the procedure is with 6-credit courses. I highly recommend emailing the law recruiter, whose email you can find on the JD admissions page. And if you desire (but, for privacy reasons, you shouldn't feel compelled to), you can share with us what the response is.

4 hours ago, TheMidnightOil said:

It's less clear what the procedure is with 6-credit courses. I highly recommend emailing the law recruiter, whose email you can find on the JD admissions page. And if you desire (but, for privacy reasons, you shouldn't feel compelled to), you can share with us what the response is.

Will do, thank you