Dreamchaser

Where/if I should apply? (3.4, 159)

I’ll cut right to the chase. 

Got my August flex score and didn’t do so well. Second and probably the last time applying and I’m wondering where and if it’s worth it to even apply. 

cGPA: 3.4 

B2/L2 is the same 

Taking few classes right now to boost my GPA but it wouldn’t make that much of a difference. 

(Three year undergrad)

LSAT: 159 (Highest) 

Not applying access but I’ll mention in personal statement some challenges I faced as an immigrant with schooling and language. 

ECs: The basics, law firm internship, community work and diff clubs on campus. 

Be brutal with your advice. Nothing can’t hurt me more than my LSAT score already has 😭

*I really don't want to pursue the foreign LLB route. 

Edited by Dreamchaser
Edit

you are willing to take few classes to boost GPA why not taking the Nov LSAT?

I also wanted to add that I was irritated by people keep saying score inflation after LSAC launch the flex. Now this time I really think that LSAT did make it harder, I saw a few posting saying they got a lower score than expected. I took the Aug flex too I find that it was quite hard even for logic game.

So people be cautious of what you say on the forum.

Dreamchaser, if you dont apply you will never get admitted........if money is not an object I will apply you have nothing to lose

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, many2021 said:

you are willing to take few classes to boost GPA why not taking the Nov LSAT?

I also wanted to add that I was irritated by people keep saying score inflation after LSAC launch the flex. Now this time I really think that LSAT did make it harder, I saw a few posting saying they got a lower score than expected. I took the Aug flex too I find that it was quite hard even for logic game.

So people be cautious of what you say on the forum.

Dreamchaser, if you dont apply you will never get admitted........if money is not an object I will apply you have nothing to lose

The reason I’m cautious about the November test is because I’m taking the classes right now plus work and application process. I wouldn’t want to rush it. I can write in January again if that’s not too late. 

Not sure about what others think of the exam but I did score below my PTs which were all high 160s. This could be for multiple reasons but was def unexpected. 

i just read Ryerson take Nov LSAT as the lastest score. They dont take Jan. Ya I find it overwhelmed too. maybe applying next year when you finished all your courses and well prepared for LSAT? If Law school is your dream should never give up

53 minutes ago, many2021 said:

i just read Ryerson take Nov LSAT as the lastest score. They dont take Jan. Ya I find it overwhelmed too. maybe applying next year when you finished all your courses and well prepared for LSAT? If Law school is your dream should never give up

Thank you!! Been trying for two years lol so hopefully I can wait for another one 

1 hour ago, Dreamchaser said:

Thank you!! Been trying for two years lol so hopefully I can wait for another one 

Which schools did you apply last two cycles?

Edited by Luckycharm

3 hours ago, many2021 said:

they recommended a Nov write, however they take Jan write as latest write.

On their site:

LSAT scores for the past 5 years may be used. To apply to enter the program in 2021, it is strongly recommended that the LSAT is written by November 2020. The LSAT must be written in January 2021 at the latest.

https://www.ryerson.ca/law/admissions/application-requirements/

Edited by tiptoemaster

1 hour ago, Luckycharm said:

Which schools did you apply last two cycles?

Windsor, Queens, Osgoode, Lakehead, Ottawa and UofT (knew I had 1% chance but had a fee waiver).

Got accepted to the Dual program but couldn’t justify the cost of tuition

Planning to apply broadly this time and go out of province if needed. 

18 minutes ago, Dreamchaser said:

Windsor, Queens, Osgoode, Lakehead, Ottawa and UofT (knew I had 1% chance but had a fee waiver).

Got accepted to the Dual program but couldn’t justify the cost of tuition

Planning to apply broadly this time and go out of province if needed. 

You didn't apply to Ryerson?

6 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

You didn't apply to Ryerson?

Ryerson was not around last cycle!

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 11:17 AM, Dreamchaser said:

cGPA: 3.4 

B2/L2 is the same 

Taking few classes right now to boost my GPA but it wouldn’t make that much of a difference. 

5 hours ago, Dreamchaser said:

The reason I’m cautious about the November test is because I’m taking the classes right now plus work and application process. I wouldn’t want to rush it. I can write in January again if that’s not too late. 

Not sure about what others think of the exam but I did score below my PTs which were all high 160s. This could be for multiple reasons but was def unexpected. 

Drop the classes, retake the LSAT. If as you said the extra courses wont have a big impact, then focus on getting a high 160, which we know you can do because you've been consistently PTing in the 160's. I would definitely not wait until January. Keep your LSAT game sharp and practice under real test conditions. Maybe have someone watch you on skype while doing a PT.  

Speaking of dropping things. Have you calculated your GPA using drops? Two schools that come to mind are UBC and UVIC, they will remove a certain number of your worst credits when calculating your cGPA. Since you were a consistent student, this might be more favorable than B2/L2 schools. You'll need a higher LSAT to be competitive at either school, but with something in the high 160's you might even make it into auto-admit territory for UVIC.  

(p.s. tuition out west is much cheaper than in Ontario).

Good luck! 

1 hour ago, NoContest said:

Drop the classes, retake the LSAT. If as you said the extra courses wont have a big impact, then focus on getting a high 160, which we know you can do because you've been consistently PTing in the 160's. I would definitely not wait until January. Keep your LSAT game sharp and practice under real test conditions. Maybe have someone watch you on skype while doing a PT.  

Speaking of dropping things. Have you calculated your GPA using drops? Two schools that come to mind are UBC and UVIC, they will remove a certain number of your worst credits when calculating your cGPA. Since you were a consistent student, this might be more favorable than B2/L2 schools. You'll need a higher LSAT to be competitive at either school, but with something in the high 160's you might even make it into auto-admit territory for UVIC.  

(p.s. tuition out west is much cheaper than in Ontario).

Good luck! 

Been thinking about that too actually. I'm only taking three classes this fall so even if I get all As, my GPA would only increase by a few points. I thought it'd be good to take extra classes to show an upward trend in my GPA.

Really gotta made the decision now because Nov lsat registration deadline is coming up lol

2 minutes ago, Dreamchaser said:

Been thinking about that too actually. I'm only taking three classes this fall so even if I get all As, my GPA would only increase by a few points. I thought it'd be good to take extra classes to show an upward trend in my GPA.

Really gotta made the decision now because Nov lsat registration deadline is coming up lol

Not to mention, if you are going to withdraw from your classes, it's hopefully not too late to get a refund. 

I know almost nothing about Ontario schools. Would taking only three classes be counted in GPA calculations? or do they only consider full-time studies? 

20 minutes ago, NoContest said:

Not to mention, if you are going to withdraw from your classes, it's hopefully not too late to get a refund. 

I know almost nothing about Ontario schools. Would taking only three classes be counted in GPA calculations? or do they only consider full-time studies? 

This weekend is actually the deadline to drop. I'll only lose 10% but money's not that big of an issue (Thank you Lord)

They'll be counted towards cGPA not L2/B2.

Also, just calculated my cGPA with drops with UBC and it comes to 81%. Not much different than if I continue with the classes

Edited by Dreamchaser
changfes

15 minutes ago, Dreamchaser said:

This weekend is actually the deadline to drop. I'll only lose 10% but money's not that big of an issue (Thank you Lord)

They'll be counted towards cGPA not L2/B2.

Stop, drop and LSAT. 😝

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NoContest said:

Stop, drop and LSAT. 😝

For what it's worth I wholeheartedly agree with this. A couple point difference in your LSAT will have more of an impact on your chances of admission then a couple 0.01 points to your GPA (and that's if you get straight A's)!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Dreamchaser said:

Also, just calculated my cGPA with drops with UBC and it comes to 81%. Not much different than if I continue with the classes

Awesome! Well if you're willing to move across the country then UBC or UVIC (which is even more generous with the drops) could be a great option, provided you can score 166+. (check out this calculator for UBC http://lsutil.azurewebsites.net/UBC/Predict)

For UVIC if you get your index score above 910 you should be golden.  Index is (GPA out of 4.33 x 125) + (LSAT percentile x 5).  https://www.uvic.ca/law/assets/docs/admissfinaid/LSAT-GPA Demographic Chart.pdf

Tuition at UBC is 12,891.84 and UVIC is $10,168. 

Of course moving across the country is the hard part. I am trying to make that decision myself as the drops really help my stats.