hoinlaw

GPA calculation with credit/no credit

Does anyone know how GPA will be calculated for admission going forward? The admissions page used to have red text at the top saying to hold on until they figure things out but now it's gone and as far as I know, they still haven't announced their decision?? 

Are the credits earned from Winter 2020 counting towards the 60 credits (but obviously not accounted for in the GPA) or are they going to go back a semester to capture a true 60 credits? MacEwan still issued grades Winter 2020 so will they take those grades into the calculation or will they be nullified?

Sorry if this question has already been asked or if this information is available somewhere but I wasn't able to find it anywhere! 

Thanks in advance. 

Grades won't be counted towards the GPA calculation at all during Winter 2020 even if you went to a school that assigned grades. The credits count so whatever you took will count in your L20 but the grades won't. So if you took 4 courses in the winter they'll use the grades for your previous 16 courses for example. 

10 minutes ago, jdapplicant1996 said:

Grades won't be counted towards the GPA calculation at all during Winter 2020 even if you went to a school that assigned grades. The credits count so whatever you took will count in your L20 but the grades won't. So if you took 4 courses in the winter they'll use the grades for your previous 16 courses for example. 

Okay, thank you so much for explaining! Where were you able to find this information?

3 hours ago, jdapplicant1996 said:

Yeah what's the source for this? First time I've heard this.

7 hours ago, jdapplicant1996 said:

Never heard of this either. 

12 hours ago, jdapplicant1996 said:

I think you are confusing U of A policy on GPA calculation for U of C. I called and emailed Courtney Wagner and she told me that although the CR/NC grades for Winter 2020 would not be counted in the GPA calculation, they would be counted for the L60 credits.

U of C and U of A have very similar policies for this situation, so it may get confusing.

3 hours ago, Thrive92 said:

I think you are confusing U of A policy on GPA calculation for U of C. I called and emailed Courtney Wagner and she told me that although the CR/NC grades for Winter 2020 would not be counted in the GPA calculation, they would be counted for the L60 credits.

U of C and U of A have very similar policies for this situation, so it may get confusing.

I also think that the across the board no grades for Winter 2020 policy was just a TRU thing?

Just now, castlepie said:

I also think that the across the board no grades for Winter 2020 policy was just a TRU thing?

Yes. TRU, in their infinite wisdom, has decided to exclude all courses from Winter and Summer semesters of 2020.  They will be looking at your grades for Fall 2020, and then Fall 2019 and before in their GPA calculation of the last 15 courses.

U of C is excluding all courses with grades of CR/NC or D+ and under only for the Winter semester of 2020. However, I believe that they are still considering these courses to count for their L20 courses.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Thrive92 said:

Hey so just to confirm - is Alberta doing what U of C is doing and including all available Winter and Summer 2020 grades in the GPA calculation? (and just counting the CR/NC for credit but not using for gpa calculation in the L60(L20))? 

Just now, lwyrup2021 said:

Hey so just to confirm - is Alberta doing what U of C is doing and including all available Winter and Summer 2020 grades in the GPA calculation? (and just counting the CR/NC for credit but not using for gpa calculation in the L60(L20))? 

I've re-read the email that Courtney has sent me, and I noticed that if you are an applicant that have received your undergraduate degree from U of A, they will count your Winter 2020 semester grades for their GPA calculation. However, a grade of NC will not contribute to credit requirement for admission and will not satisfy program prerequisites (while a grade of CR will).

If you are an applicant that have received your undergraduate degree from elsewhere, they will not consider your grades for the Winter 2020 semester for the GPA calculation. But as long as they are passing grades, they will count towards the credit requirements and program prerequisites.

Sorry for my confusing back - and - forth. jdapplicant1996 is correct (although if you get a failing grade like a NC, it will not count).

Here's the copy of what Courtney sent me:

Calculation of Admission GPA - University of Alberta Students

A University of Alberta grade of CR from Winter 2020 will contribute to the credit requirements for admission and will be accepted as satisfying program prerequisites. A grade of NC will not contribute to credit requirements for admission and will not satisfy program prerequisites.

This is the process that will be followed for applications that are in progress, and any future University of Alberta applications that include the revised Winter 2020 grading scheme. 

Calculation of Admission GPA - External Post-Secondary Students

For external post-secondary students applying to an undergraduate or graduate program at the University of Alberta, grades for courses taken in Winter 2020 will not be included in the calculation of admission GPAs.

Passing grades from Winter 2020 will contribute to the credit requirements for individual admissions, provided the grades meet the threshold required for transfer credit as outlined in the University Calendar, and will be accepted as satisfying program prerequisites. 

Non-passing grades from Winter 2020 will not contribute to the credit requirements for individual admissions and will not be accepted as satisfying program prerequisites.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Thrive92 said:

A University of Alberta grade of CR from Winter 2020 will contribute to the credit requirements for admission and will be accepted as satisfying program prerequisites. A grade of NC will not contribute to credit requirements for admission and will not satisfy program prerequisites.

This is the process that will be followed for applications that are in progress, and any future University of Alberta applications that include the revised Winter 2020 grading scheme. 

For external post-secondary students applying to an undergraduate or graduate program at the University of Alberta, grades for courses taken in Winter 2020 will not be included in the calculation of admission GPAs.

Passing grades from Winter 2020 will contribute to the credit requirements for individual admissions, provided the grades meet the threshold required for transfer credit as outlined in the University Calendar, and will be accepted as satisfying program prerequisites. 

Non-passing grades from Winter 2020 will not contribute to the credit requirements for individual admissions and will not be accepted as satisfying program prerequisites.

Thank you for sharing the email!

I kind of figured this is what they would decide to do; however, it's frustrating they took so long to figure it out and seemingly still haven't even released this information publicly. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Thrive92 said:

I've re-read the email that Courtney has sent me, and I noticed that if you are an applicant that have received your undergraduate degree from U of A, they will count your Winter 2020 semester grades for their GPA calculation. However, a grade of NC will not contribute to credit requirement for admission and will not satisfy program prerequisites (while a grade of CR will).

If you are an applicant that have received your undergraduate degree from elsewhere, they will not consider your grades for the Winter 2020 semester for the GPA calculation. But as long as they are passing grades, they will count towards the credit requirements and program prerequisites.

Sorry for my confusing back - and - forth. jdapplicant1996 is correct (although if you get a failing grade like a NC, it will not count).

So, basically UofA is looking at last 15 course GPA if you took 5 courses during Winter 2020?

22 minutes ago, cguy said:

So, basically UofA is looking at last 15 course GPA if you took 5 courses during Winter 2020?

Yes, unless you have failed one or more courses during the winter 2020 semester. If you did, they would not use that to contribute to the credit requirements/satisfying program prerequisites.

If you did your undergrad at U of A, they will look at your winter 2020 grades though

4 hours ago, Thrive92 said:

Yes, unless you have failed one or more courses during the winter 2020 semester. If you did, they would not use that to contribute to the credit requirements/satisfying program prerequisites.

If you did your undergrad at U of A, they will look at your winter 2020 grades though

I did my undergrad at UofA. We did not get any Winter 2020 grades.

I took a full year (6 credit) course last year, and the grade was received in Winter 2020. This means that I had 4 graded courses in Fall 2019, Would admissions then consider by Best 14? or go back to my second year?

Just to clarify, I took 20 Courses in my last two years (5/semester)