HannaGrace

I would like to get your opinion on online law courses?

As I am starting my first year of law school, I don't want to just limit myself to lectures in the lecture hall. Also, I always have time to study, so I'd like to know what you think about online law courses. I want to broaden my experiences a little bit... I want to know more about what the professors are giving us at the university. I want to practice again and again because it's not easy to study law, especially in the first period.

I would like to have your opinion?

Thanks a lot.

Edited by whereverjustice
link removed

You're considering taking classes in addition to the full 1L course load you have? I don't think you will find anyone here that thinks that's a good idea.

48 minutes ago, HannaGrace said:

I always have time to study

If that's true, all of that study time should be put towards your 1L classes - the ones that count towards your degree and will have a direct impact on your ability to secure a job.

You're a week into the semester. By the end of October you won't be feeling like you "always have time to study."

7 hours ago, HannaGrace said:

As I am starting my first year of law school, I don't want to just limit myself to lectures in the lecture hall. Also, I always have time to study, so I'd like to know what you think about online law courses (mod note link removed). I want to broaden my experiences a little bit... I want to know more about what the professors are giving us at the university. I want to practice again and again because it's not easy to study law, especially in the first period.

I would like to have your opinion?

Thanks a lot.

Take a long term perspective of your studies. You've got 3 years of law school, a bar exam and course to pass (depending on jurisdiction) while you're also articling (which a different kind of learning, but still a student experience), and then you have a basically a career long obligation to stay on top of your areas of practice, which, depending on the practice area, can be a good deal of self study/CPD.

Taking that all into consideration, my opinion is that you should treat you legal studies like a marathon and not a sprint; I would not take additional courses at this time.

Also, consider that many people starting out in 1L just don't know "how to read" case law/pick out what's in any given reading - often, as a 1L, you read a case, think you vaguely understand the material points, and then you show up in class and you've missed everything important. All to say: There isn't a lot of value in doing additional self study at this stage, IMHO.

If you're really eager just make sure to read all of the cases given or referred to - not just the summary or the headnote.  That alone should take up quite a lot of your time.

Taking extra courses on top of your regular 1L schedule is one of the worst ideas I can possibly imagine

• Like 4

In 1L, focus on your courses and do as well as you can in them. Those grades will greatly influence your career prospects. Also, it's quality, not quantity when it comes to 1L education. You're essentially setting up your foundation - you want to take your time and get it right, not take shortcuts.

In future years, if you're genuinely eager about learning more areas of law, I've found that the best way is to get a decent summary about said area of law and read it. It'll have all the important information about that area of law, and if you're interested in learning more about certain aspects of that area of law, you can always read a part of a treatise.

Edited by georgecostanzajr