tfox007

Memberships for NCAs / New Canadian grads

Hey all,

Any of you know of any organizations or associations that cater to new/ recent Canadian LLB grads/ NCA students?

Struggling to find guidance unfortunately in terms of what to do while preparing for the NCAs

Thank you! :) 

Not sure of the exact context of this question. If you're actually looking for help getting through the NCA process, then I suppose some kind of association of NCA candidates (not that I'm sure there is one) would be helpful to you. Though perhaps one of the reasons it may not exist is that I've always understood the process is relatively straight-forward. If you're looking to gain exposure to the Canadian legal community - which is probably far more important at this point - I'd recommend against looking for a specifically NCA-oriented group at all and instead join mainstream legal organizations relating to your practice area. For example, for any student looking to pursue criminal law, the Criminal Lawyers' Association is a no-brainer. It's also either extremely cheap or free for articling candidates.

Anyway, something to consider. Whatever your interests are, in terms of practice area(s), there's generally one or more associations built around it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Diplock said:

Not sure of the exact context of this question. If you're actually looking for help getting through the NCA process, then I suppose some kind of association of NCA candidates (not that I'm sure there is one) would be helpful to you. Though perhaps one of the reasons it may not exist is that I've always understood the process is relatively straight-forward. If you're looking to gain exposure to the Canadian legal community - which is probably far more important at this point - I'd recommend against looking for a specifically NCA-oriented group at all and instead join mainstream legal organizations relating to your practice area. For example, for any student looking to pursue criminal law, the Criminal Lawyers' Association is a no-brainer. It's also either extremely cheap or free for articling candidates.

Anyway, something to consider. Whatever your interests are, in terms of practice area(s), there's generally one or more associations built around it.

Great, thank you for the advice, I will look for associations that are of interest to me within my area (GTA).

Cheers! :) 

On 9/15/2020 at 9:17 AM, tfox007 said:

Hey all,

Any of you know of any organizations or associations that cater to new/ recent Canadian LLB grads/ NCA students?

Struggling to find guidance unfortunately in terms of what to do while preparing for the NCAs

Thank you! :) 

There are a few organizations catering to NCA students.

NCA Network: https://ncanetwork.com/

Global Lawyers of Canada: https://glcanada.org/

ITLNCA: https://itln.ca/

• Like 1