Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Since we’re seeing a lot of LSAT Writing results that are delayed right now, I talked to LSAC yesterday about the status on the processing. Here’s the story on what’s happening:

If you’ve taken the LSAT Writing already, and are still waiting on your results, you are likely in a queue to have your session reviewed. This largely isn’t a big deal, but if they see any problem—ID issue, wearing a smartwatch, phone on your desk, backpack in the room, didn’t show both sides of scratch paper, etc—they go back in and manually review the session. This takes time, and is the source of the delay that’s occurring right now. Many of those issues get cleared, although some won’t (ID, smartwatch, and smartphone are big problems). So, if you are waiting, at this point you have no choice but to wait it out while they look over your session.

As of yesterday, there were more than 9,000 August test takers who still needed to complete their LSAT Writing, so if you don't have a result on record, you should plan to take yours as soon as possible, and follow the rules to the letter.

If you haven’t taken the LSAT Writing yet, this is how it works:

  1. If you go through your session without any violations, your results will be posted relatively quickly.
  2. If you miss a guideline and create a violation, then your session goes to the end of the long review queue, and your results will be delayed. LSAC expects to process all the ones in the queue right now, but new Writing results that have violations will be cutting it extremely close as far as making the September 18th score release date.

LSAC has added staff to review the crush of Writing results, but if you haven’t done yours yet, do it soon.

We’ll talk about this in our next PowerScore LSAT podcast, so more on this on Monday or Tuesday probably!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2020 at 2:38 PM, DKilloranPowerScore said:

Since we’re seeing a lot of LSAT Writing results that are delayed right now, I talked to LSAC yesterday about the status on the processing. Here’s the story on what’s happening:

If you’ve taken the LSAT Writing already, and are still waiting on your results, you are likely in a queue to have your session reviewed. This largely isn’t a big deal, but if they see any problem—ID issue, wearing a smartwatch, phone on your desk, backpack in the room, didn’t show both sides of scratch paper, etc—they go back in and manually review the session. This takes time, and is the source of the delay that’s occurring right now. Many of those issues get cleared, although some won’t (ID, smartwatch, and smartphone are big problems). So, if you are waiting, at this point you have no choice but to wait it out while they look over your session.

As of yesterday, there were more than 9,000 August test takers who still needed to complete their LSAT Writing, so if you don't have a result on record, you should plan to take yours as soon as possible, and follow the rules to the letter.

If you haven’t taken the LSAT Writing yet, this is how it works:

  1. If you go through your session without any violations, your results will be posted relatively quickly.
  2. If you miss a guideline and create a violation, then your session goes to the end of the long review queue, and your results will be delayed. LSAC expects to process all the ones in the queue right now, but new Writing results that have violations will be cutting it extremely close as far as making the September 18th score release date.

LSAC has added staff to review the crush of Writing results, but if you haven’t done yours yet, do it soon.

We’ll talk about this in our next PowerScore LSAT podcast, so more on this on Monday or Tuesday probably!

When you say “new results will be cutting it close”, how “new” do you estimate would fall under that category? I wrote mine on September 5th, so I’m not sure if that’s too early or too late. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is still in queue to be reviewed I think because I wrote mine on the 31st... that's 14 days ago now. Will my mark be released on the 18th still? Or will I have to wait until I get my test cleared/wait until I finish rewriting altogether? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming there is no major violation, you should still be fine!  They were most worried about LSAT Writing being done this week, and felt they'd get all prior ones done. So anyone prior to this past weekend who didn't have a big issue should go through just fine :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did my writing sample on the 6th. I I called LSAC yesterday on the advice of the LSAT subreddit and they weren't able to answer anything, however my sample was approved this morning. Not sure if my phone call sped up the process or if it was just a coincidence, but it might be worth a shot to call or email them.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adding an update to this:

• At this point, over 18,000 LSAT Writing results have been approved. These scores will be released tomorrow at 9 AM EST as scheduled.

• Around 5,500 have yet to even start an LSAT Writing session. These students will not get scores.

If you are in the position of having taken the LSAT Writing but have not yet received "Completed" status (and over 2,000 have been processed in just the last 36 hours), some will be processed by tomorrow and some will not. They've added extra staff, and will be working through the night and then through the weekend to get through all the flagged sessions. The expectation is that:

• If you took it up through the 13th or 14th or earlier and had no violation, your score will come out tomorrow. If you took it more recently with no violation, you're looking at a short delay.

• If you took it up through the 10th or earlier and had a violation, your score will likely come out tomorrow. If you took it in the past week and had a violation, you're looking at a longer delay.

The number of actual essays in the review queue is now down quite a bit, hence they believe they can get it all processed in the next week or so (no guarantees though and I'd expect exceptions).

According to how I understand it, the problem was that many, many sessions had violations and were flagged. some people didn't follow the rules and forgot to show their paper or take off their watches, and this caused backlogs for a large percentage of test takers.

This was the status as of a bit ago, and I may update this post as the numbers change or if I was wrong (all errors are my fault). Please let me know if you have any questions!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HELP

So, I've just finished the LSAT writing piece. No clue if it's been submitted. Nothing showed up after I've submitted my answer so I logged out? Was I not supposed to do that? My writing exam says "Exam Initiated" still.

Also, i screwed up big time and had my phone on my desk and didn't realize until after i scanned and submitted my room. I'm such a tool - this will surely be flagged no? I didn't use it at all and it was turned off, not sure if that counts for anything at all, but I never left the screen. Will they scrap my entire LSAT plus the writing? or just make me redo the writing? I'm trying to call them but have been on hold for half an hour. I'm freaking out, some one please weigh in.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spence90 said:

HELP

So, I've just finished the LSAT writing piece. No clue if it's been submitted. Nothing showed up after I've submitted my answer so I logged out? Was I not supposed to do that? My writing exam says "Exam Initiated" still.

Also, i screwed up big time and had my phone on my desk and didn't realize until after i scanned and submitted my room. I'm such a tool - this will surely be flagged no? I didn't use it at all and it was turned off, not sure if that counts for anything at all, but I never left the screen. Will they scrap my entire LSAT plus the writing? or just make me redo the writing? I'm trying to call them but have been on hold for half an hour. I'm freaking out, some one please weigh in.

Thanks!

There should have been an option at the end to review what you wrote. Did that come up? If not then I'm not sure if you submitted. I forget the exact details about submitting, so someone else pls weigh in. 

Also ya the phone thing is not good. Even if the screen was dark, some people have those screen protectors that make it look dark from all angles, so lsac might be suspicious. It will definitely be flagged, but they may or may not ask you to rewrite. I think it would also depend on whether or not you looked at the phone at all during the test. Either way, they will not scrap the entire lsat, only the writing portion. So no need to worry about that. Hope that helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the timely response! 

There was an option to review the submission and I did review multiple times. I finished early though, so I'm not sure if I was supposed to wait for something or someone? They didn't ask me to destroy my scrap paper either, so that's another red flag for me.

And that last piece of advice gives me piece of mind. I really don't care if I have to rewrite the writing part. I was more worried about my actual LSAT, so thanks for clarifying!

Edited by spence90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, spence90 said:

HELP

So, I've just finished the LSAT writing piece. No clue if it's been submitted. Nothing showed up after I've submitted my answer so I logged out? Was I not supposed to do that? My writing exam says "Exam Initiated" still.

Also, i screwed up big time and had my phone on my desk and didn't realize until after i scanned and submitted my room. I'm such a tool - this will surely be flagged no? I didn't use it at all and it was turned off, not sure if that counts for anything at all, but I never left the screen. Will they scrap my entire LSAT plus the writing? or just make me redo the writing? I'm trying to call them but have been on hold for half an hour. I'm freaking out, some one please weigh in.

Thanks!

 I can’t speak to the phone on the table but I remember when I completed my LSAT writing for the July flex exam I had a similar situation where nothing showed up after I clicked submit and there was no confirmation of any sort that my writing sample had been properly submitted. I was panicking but everything ended up being fine and my sample was approved a couple days later, so hopefully that’s the same case for you too! Also, I’m pretty sure I wasn’t able to view or download my final writing sample until after it was approved. 
edit: also I was never asked to tear up my scrap paper or wait for any instructions before finishing! 

Edited by legallybl0nde

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spence90 said:

Thanks for the timely response! 

There was an option to review the submission and I did review multiple times. I finished early though, so I'm not sure if I was supposed to wait for something or someone? They didn't ask me to destroy my scrap paper either, so that's another red flag for me.

And that last piece of advice gives me piece of mind. I really don't care if I have to rewrite the writing part. I was more worried about my actual LSAT, so thanks for clarifying!

I did not have to scrap my paper either actually, so don't worry about that being a problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

44 minutes ago, legallybl0nde said:

 I can’t speak to the phone on the table but I remember when I completed my LSAT writing for the July flex exam I had a similar situation where nothing showed up after I clicked submit and there was no confirmation of any sort that my writing sample had been properly submitted. I was panicking but everything ended up being fine and my sample was approved a couple days later, so hopefully that’s the same case for you too! Also, I’m pretty sure I wasn’t able to view or download my final writing sample until after it was approved. 
edit: also I was never asked to tear up my scrap paper or wait for any instructions before finishing! 

 

43 minutes ago, culitigator said:

I did not have to scrap my paper either actually, so don't worry about that being a problem. 

Thanks guys! will keep ya updated.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tiptoemaster said:

is there a limit to the amount of scratch paper we get to use??

I believe it was 2 pieces of paper, but realistically you shouldn't need more than one anyways. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, culitigator said:

I believe it was 2 pieces of paper, but realistically you shouldn't need more than one anyways. 

idk about you but i jot down all my notes and i write relatively big, each game takes me one page...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tiptoemaster said:

idk about you but i jot down all my notes and i write relatively big, each game takes me one page...

Oh you mean for the actualy lsat, not the writing portion specifically. Ya for the LSAT you get to use like 5 pages or something, I can't quite remember honestly. But you should be able to find that info very easily on LSAC's website. For the writing portion though (which, in case you weren't aware, is taken at a separate time (and usually separate day) than the lsat test) you are only allowed 2 pages. 

Edited by culitigator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, culitigator said:

Oh you mean for the actualy lsat, not the writing portion specifically. Ya for the LSAT you get to use like 5 pages or something, I can't quite remember honestly. But you should be able to find that info very easily on LSAC's website. For the writing portion though (which, in case you weren't aware, is taken at a separate time (and usually separate day) than the lsat test) you are only allowed 2 pages. 

thanks for that!

for writing sample, you are typing on your laptop/comp right? so, you're writing into their provided software not on word or etc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tiptoemaster said:

thanks for that!

for writing sample, you are typing on your laptop/comp right? so, you're writing into their provided software not on word or etc?

Yes that is correct. They will give you the program to download a couple weeks before the test date. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2020 at 7:56 PM, spence90 said:

 

 

Thanks guys! will keep ya updated.

Just an update: my writing exam was not flagged and it is now available for me to review. Relieved.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, spence90 said:

Just an update: my writing exam was not flagged and it is now available for me to review. Relieved.

how was it??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...