SylvesterVitali

1L student applying to a 2L summer internship

Hello,

I am law student going into first year law school this semester. I am trying to prepare for a summer internship position at a law firm and it is difficult finding positions for first year law students. Most major law firms in Canada have positions specifically for second year law students (2L), however I really want to start gaining experience early on. I am thinking of simply applying to the job position, and contacting recruiters explaining that I have the required experience they are looking for, and for sure will be trying my best to back that up with high grades in my upcoming school year.

should I even try? I have 5+ years experience working in HR, research, and many positions that have gained me a vast amount of skills required for such positions.

Help!

Depends. If you’re talking about firms that hire via the OCI process, then no, don’t bother. 

If it’s a firm that hires outside of the formal recruit process, i.e. a blurb on their website about how they traditionally hire 2Ls, then it might be worth a shot.

Edited by RollMaster
  • Like 1

For what it's worth, there is a separate formal 1L recruit. Although it's smaller and a much smaller proportion of the class receives a job through it, a lot of big firms do increasingly participate in it.

The OP specified getting a 2L position for the 1L summer. This isn't going to happen. The 2L recruit is for students who will have finished 2L by the time the summer position begins. 1L students are not eligible to apply for those positions. 

1 hour ago, erinl2 said:

The OP specified getting a 2L position for the 1L summer. This isn't going to happen. The 2L recruit is for students who will have finished 2L by the time the summer position begins. 1L students are not eligible to apply for those positions. 

Well, I do take the point above - which is that an employer who is less formal about their hiring might be willing to be more flexible. But that said, if i imagine a less formal employer who might be looking for a student, I don't believe they would specify "2L" in the first place.

Bottom line, there are very few summer positions for law students in the first place, outside of large and organized firms. When the large and organized firms advertise for 2L students, they know what they are doing and that's what they are looking to hire. For anything outside of that, the same assumptions do not apply. But you won't find much of that in the first place.

As an aside, to the OP. While it's nice you appreciate you'll want to "back up" your aspirations to be treated like a special case with good grades, be aware that the 2L recruit takes place on a schedule before grades from that year are even available. That's exactly why students who are in 2L are nevertheless counting exclusively on their 1L grades to get noticed, and in 1L you'd be counting on...nothing other than your own assertion that you plan on getting good grades. So there's another reason this doesn't really work.

Anyway, good luck.

On 9/4/2020 at 9:17 PM, SylvesterVitali said:

I am thinking of simply applying to the job position, and contacting recruiters explaining that I have the required experience they are looking for, and for sure will be trying my best to back that up with high grades in my upcoming school year.

Do these firms do OCIs, either for 1L or 2L? Then I would advise not doing that. I can't see it working to your advantage.

If these firms do not do OCIs, then I'd give it a shot.