Jump to content
lawhopeful33

Tips for Living in Edmonton

Recommended Posts

Hello All,

I will be moving to Edmonton in the near future, and as someone who has ZERO experience or connections in the city, I thought I might ask for some advice here.

I am mainly looking for some advice about different neighborhoods in the city. In particular, I am looking for an area that is safe and has access to green spaces for walking my dog. Proximity to downtown is a bonus but not essential, and I want to rent a small house that has a yard (again for my dog), so no apartments.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Also would be happy to hear any other hot tips about the city! ūüėÉ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stay away from 118th Ave, I don't know much about downtown, to be honest, but steer clear of 118th Ave.

Windermere, Ellerslie, Rutherford, Summerside- gorgeous areas but these neighbourhoods are over on the south side. Silverberry, The Meadows, Laurel, Tamarack, Fountain Lake are all nice too, also on the south.

On the North side... there are some neighbourhoods that are nice, but I just can't think of any since I'm not over there much. 

All of the neighbourhoods I have listed do have parks nearby. It would be smart to rent/own closer to the Anthony Henday and/or the Whitemud. The Anthony Henday goes around the city. Whyte Ave is usually bumping with great restaurants and bars. I know a lot of people say that Edmonton is dead, but honestly, there are usually events going on here. You're welcome to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SimmmiSS said:

Stay away from 118th Ave, I don't know much about downtown, to be honest, but steer clear of 118th Ave.

Windermere, Ellerslie, Rutherford, Summerside- gorgeous areas but these neighbourhoods are over on the south side. Silverberry, The Meadows, Laurel, Tamarack, Fountain Lake are all nice too, also on the south.

On the North side... there are some neighbourhoods that are nice, but I just can't think of any since I'm not over there much. 

All of the neighbourhoods I have listed do have parks nearby. It would be smart to rent/own closer to the Anthony Henday and/or the Whitemud. The Anthony Henday goes around the city. Whyte Ave is usually bumping with great restaurants and bars. I know a lot of people say that Edmonton is dead, but honestly, there are usually events going on here. You're welcome to PM me if you have any specific questions.

This is hilariously bad advice. The neighborhoods mentioned here are so far away from campus (and literally everything interesting in Edmonton). 
 

Also, 118th avenue, while it likely has a higher than average crime rate, has fantastic locally owned businesses (Bautista’s calzone and popular bakery to name my favourites) and is close to downtown.  
 

Old Strathcona/mill creek/whyte avenue are probably the areas that best fit your needs. Close to river valley and lots of green space. Close to the university and downtown. Also, tons of great local businesses (Transcend coffee, next act, and alhambra books, to name my favourites). These neighborhoods also have a large number of affordable houses for rent or main floor suites of houses for rent. 

feel free to pm me if you want to discuss further.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Fuzzykittenz said:

This is hilariously bad advice. The neighborhoods mentioned here are so far away from campus (and literally everything interesting in Edmonton). 
 

Also, 118th avenue, while it likely has a higher than average crime rate, has fantastic locally owned businesses (Bautista’s calzone and popular bakery to name my favourites) and is close to downtown.  
 

Old Strathcona/mill creek/whyte avenue are probably the areas that best fit your needs. Close to river valley and lots of green space. Close to the university and downtown. Also, tons of great local businesses (Transcend coffee, next act, and alhambra books, to name my favourites). These neighborhoods also have a large number of affordable houses for rent or main floor suites of houses for rent. 

feel free to pm me if you want to discuss further.

OP didn't ask about campus, so I didn't mention anything about campus. OP asked about decent neighbourhoods and that's what I responded to.¬†ūüėÖ

Can't say it's bad advice when those areas are pretty decent lol.

But you are right, I forgot about Old Strathcona, it's a decent area for sure! I'm super biased because I've lived mainly on the south side of Edmonton and have been told to stay far away from 118th Ave lol.

I've been to Transcend Coffee and I love it! I hope OP does too¬†ūüėä

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, SimmmiSS said:

Stay away from 118th Ave, I don't know much about downtown, to be honest, but steer clear of 118th Ave.

I'm curious why exactly you are advising against 118th Ave? It's one of Edmonton's most amazing ethnic enclaves for food and culture. Kaleido Art and Music Festival, Arts on the Ave, and Deep Freeze are all held there (probably canceled due to covid19) and usually they are large celebrations about the different people and cultures in Edmonton. I can name a few awesome restaurants off the top of my head: Awash Ethiopian, Thamel Birstro, Swiss 2 Go Cafe, Dang Good Vietnamese... I wouldn't close yourself off from 118th just because you've had friends say to steer clear. No place is free from danger or crime. It actually seems a bit in poor taste to be advising people not to check out 118th Ave when there are many immigrant owned businesses there who offer amazing food, wares, culture, and friendly customer service. If you head to that area with an open mind you might be pleasantly surprised! 

OP - I've lived in Edmonton for 11 years off and on all over the city and I would recommend a few different neighbourhoods. Oliver (including the Oliver Exchange Building), 124th St (AMAZING), Glenora for walking and Blackbird Cafe, Jasper Ave for the iconic river valley, Whyte Ave (If you don't go to Pho Delight and order the Buddha Pho you are not living), Riverdale has awesome walkways and the best Little Brick Cafe which is a historical building over 100 years old, Garneau, Old Beverly if you're looking to see some cool art installations. Oh! Also we have a local graffiti organization called Rust Magic and they've been commissioned by the City of Edmonton to create amazing graffiti installations in the city. There is a HUGE one that just says "Edmonton" across from Rogers Place and 104th (also a cool area in the core of DT). Also check out this site: https://yegsecrets.ca/ where people all over the city can contribute little Edmonton gems that you can check out. 

ETA: Sorry I tried to add the map of the murals/graffiti and it didn't work. But you can google it!

 

Edited by Kingifer
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Southwest is sick, if you have a car it doesnt really matter how far away you are. I def rather live farther out than near the uni. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in Westmount so am biased but think it’s an amazing part of the city. Main cross streets are 124 street x 107 ave. Near Groat Rd and great proximity to uni and the river valley!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kingifer said:

I'm curious why exactly you are advising against 118th Ave? 

I have a close friend that lives there and she's always said that there are shootings that happen. She's too scared to walk outside alone. Both her and I were born and raised in Edmonton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP, where are you from originally? Have you experienced an Albertan winter yet? I only experienced 1 week of Albertan winter. It was a dry -35 and windy AF. I had to relearn to layer despite being a Montrealer that used to walk everywhere. The short days weren't too terrible for a week but my brother (in Alberta for like 12 years now) was hit with SAD pretty hard for the first few winters. He got himself a good sunlamp to help. Vitamin D in winter. 

Summers are majestic. I only spent 1 summer in Edmonton and I still miss the long, sunny days.

It's been a bit of time since I was last in Edmonton, but I had zero issues on 118. I echo the advice about Whyte Ave being fun. Jasper street is nice (is the construction done?)

Does Remedy still have amazing chai?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Kingifer said:

I'm curious why exactly you are advising against 118th Ave?

 

I see a ton of files from 118 Ave area.  That is not a part of town I would chose to live in.

It's hard to give advice to @lawhopeful33 as it's only a single post.  I live in the south of town and quite like my neighbourhood - but it's quite a slog to get downtown.  If you're going to U of A for law school, living close to campus would be important - but those are all expensive and desireable areas, so renting a house seems unlikely.

Ordinarily I would suggest looking at neighbourhoods close to the LRT, as that gives you cheap and easy access to the university without paying to live near campus - but with the pandemic I would not be using public transit right now if you can avoid it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, artsydork said:

OP, where are you from originally? Have you experienced an Albertan winter yet? I only experienced 1 week of Albertan winter. It was a dry -35 and windy AF. I had to relearn to layer despite being a Montrealer that used to walk everywhere. The short days weren't too terrible for a week but my brother (in Alberta for like 12 years now) was hit with SAD pretty hard for the first few winters. He got himself a good sunlamp to help. Vitamin D in winter. 

Summers are majestic. I only spent 1 summer in Edmonton and I still miss the long, sunny days.

It's been a bit of time since I was last in Edmonton, but I had zero issues on 118. I echo the advice about Whyte Ave being fun. Jasper street is nice (is the construction done?)

Does Remedy still have amazing chai?

Jasper ave* and the construction is nowhere near being done! I personally would not want to be anywhere North of downtown if I were a law student (or anyone for that matter). If OP provided some budget info I could probably help them better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just moved to Edmonton for school last year. I agree with Malicious Prosecutor; if we weren't in a pandemic living close to an LRT station would be your best bet, no matter the neighbourhood. There's a station right on campus and it's right near the Law Centre and it is so, so convenient. Honestly, given we still have 0 information about how winter semester is going to go, I'd still recommend aiming for near an LRT station.

Also agreed with artsydork that the winters here are Suffering if you've never lived in Alberta before. If you've lived in southern Alberta, then also be prepared for the dreaded Pothole Season. Edmonton doesn't get the chinooks in winter like southern Alberta does so the roads take a beating every year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2020 at 3:39 PM, lawhopeful33 said:

Hello All,

I will be moving to Edmonton in the near future, and as someone who has ZERO experience or connections in the city, I thought I might ask for some advice here.

I am mainly looking for some advice about different neighborhoods in the city. In particular, I am looking for an area that is safe and has access to green spaces for walking my dog. Proximity to downtown is a bonus but not essential, and I want to rent a small house that has a yard (again for my dog), so no apartments.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Also would be happy to hear any other hot tips about the city! ūüėÉ

Given the factors you listed, a community that should be of interest to you is Griesbach.  It is reasonably close to downtown, is a somewhat new development (has ponds and large greenspaces), and wouldn't be as expensive to rent in as some other neighborhoods near downtown.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP didn't mention budget, but I imagine budget could be important if they're a law student and need a "house" (so I'm assuming detached). One area I would suggest is the older part of Mill Woods. It's not (at all) trendy or (particularly) walkable, but it's quiet and neighbourly and I think you could get good value to rent a house there compared to most areas of the city that are - I agree - nicer. All the schools in the area (because it's so "70's suburban" have giant, giant greenspaces that are relatively little-used. It's close to both the Henday and the Whitemud.

I've lived downtown (almost; Oliver to be precise) and in Mill Woods. Oliver was a lot cooler and we missed the things we could walk to. But if I needed a house/lots of space, we would definitely choose Mill Woods.

The other huge bonus is that, while the Southeast LRT is quite delayed, it will likely be open for 2L and runs right into the middle of Mill Wood.

-GM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all! 
 

A massive thank you for all the wonderful advice! I appreciated everyone's perspective, and was pleased to see some debating about the pros and cons of different parts of the city. 
 

To answer the questions asked in earlier posts: I ¬†was living in Montreal for a number of years, but am originally from the West and definitely have been through some harsh winters, so I know what I am getting into¬†ūüėÖ. In terms of budget, I am expecting to pay anywhere between 1500 and 2000 a month for a small sized house with a backyard, but am happy to pay more or less than this if it's the right place.

As for location, what is really important to me is proximity to downtown. I will be needing to go there on a regular basis for work. As mentioned above, I will be avoiding public transportation for the time being for pandemic reasons, and as such am looking for something that offers an easy commute.

Any other tips are greatly appreciated, and thanks to @GrumpyMountie¬†@Ptolemy¬†@RGoodfellow¬†@MountainMon¬†@Malicious Prosecutor¬†@artsydork¬†@flyingfish¬†@SimmmiSS¬†@lawmomma¬†@ajd123¬†@Kingifer¬†@Fuzzykittenz¬†and anyone i missed for all the great advice!!! ūüėä

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2020 at 2:55 PM, lawmomma said:

I live in Westmount so am biased but think it’s an amazing part of the city. Main cross streets are 124 street x 107 ave. Near Groat Rd and great proximity to uni and the river valley!

Would second this, based on what OP has said. I live a little further west, but can still get to work on the other side of downtown in about 12 minutes by car, 30 minutes by bike via 107th or 111th ave. Several parks within walking distance. My neighbourhood seems to be predominantly families with younger children, so pretty safe (lots of dog owners, too!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...