lwyrup2021

TRU Law Policy for Winter and Summer 2020 Courses

Hey TRU law prospects, 

Just saw this update on TRU Law website (https://www.tru.ca/law/admissions/faqs.html): 

As a result of COVID-19, we are aware that many universities moved to a form of pass/fail or credit/no credit grading for the Winter 2020 (Jan-Apr) and Summer 2020 (May-Aug) semesters. In some cases, students were given an option to select pass/fail instead of grading, but in some cases the change was mandatory.

In response to these circumstances, TRU Law will not include any marks from January 2020 through August 2020 for any student when calculating admissions GPA. Courses taken during this time period will still be counted to assess whether you have completed sufficient credits toward an undergraduate degree. They will simply not be included in calculating your GPA. For those applicants currently enrolled in university courses, we will however include Fall 2020 (Sept-Dec) grades when calculating GPA.

Final grades, or lack thereof from January 2020 to August 2020, will therefore not negatively or positively affect your application.

Interesting indeed..

Edited by lwyrup2021

Damn this sucks :( This would have definitely increased my L20.. 

Guess I gotta do extra well on the LSAT lol 

20 minutes ago, Norms said:

Damn this sucks :( This would have definitely increased my L20.. 

Guess I gotta do extra well on the LSAT lol 

Same :'(((( I really tried super hard that term, and it ended up being my best term. :(

10 minutes ago, castlepie said:

Same :'(((( I really tried super hard that term, and it ended up being my best term. :(

same here, I fail to see how they came up with this strict policy when almost every other law school has implemented more inclusive and appropriate ways to deal with COVID-19 impacted semesters. Also why is summer 2020 even included..no universities consider that semester to be COVID impacted. It is what it is I guess.

I just sent them an email. Once I have a response, I'll post it. I'm just scared that this will hurt a lot of students that have TRU as their first choice.

• Like 1

Hi everyone. I am posting here what I have posted in another thread, just in case people may miss it.

I have emailed TRU about this new policy, and they said that they will look only at the last 15 courses now instead of the last 20. However, the semesters they would consider for GPA calculation would be: Fall 2020 (this september - december), then they would jump to Fall 2019 and before that until they land on 15 courses.

This new policy seriously screws me over too; I would understand it if they would not count the Winter 2020 semester, but why summer as well? There is absolutely no reason for that

TRU emailed back. It's confirmed. This was the news that they were going to post in October:

We were hoping to have an answer for 2021 Fall applicants before the October 1, 2020 application date opened, and we were able to post the answer regarding COVID admissions impacts a bit earlier than expected.

This just means that those grades will not be calculated for our GPA, but that doesn't mean you can' talk about how hard you worked to get those grades in your PS. Hang in there!

On 9/1/2020 at 4:17 PM, Thrive92 said:

Hi everyone. I am posting here what I have posted in another thread, just in case people may miss it.

I have emailed TRU about this new policy, and they said that they will look only at the last 15 courses now instead of the last 20. However, the semesters they would consider for GPA calculation would be: Fall 2020 (this september - december), then they would jump to Fall 2019 and before that until they land on 15 courses.

This new policy seriously screws me over too; I would understand it if they would not count the Winter 2020 semester, but why summer as well? There is absolutely no reason for that

does anyone know how are they gonna know which grades were from winter or fall because all of mine from 2019-2020 year just say "FW2019" and they are in alphabetical order not in order of semester, for a case like that how would they decide which 5 not to include ?

Edited by Legallybrunette123