Sign in to follow this  
flyingfish

Suits Edmonton

Hi,

I want to buy some new professional clothing. Where is the best place in Edmonton to buy suits with a budget of ~$250-$500 per suit. Thanks in advance for the recommendations!

There is nothing decent in that budget in Edmonton. Suitsupply online or in Seattle is worth the trip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

There was (not sure current/covid status) a consignment suit shop on Jasper around 121-123 st or so. Dressed to Suit I think it was called. Had some good offering assuming you were a somewhat standard size. 

Otherwise I'd agree with SuitSupply.

• Thanks 1

Thanks! What is the price I’d have to pay to buy something decent in Edmonton? I’m coming from a totally different line of work and I don’t know how much these things cost. My budget is pretty flexible. Would 1k do it or would Seattle or Suit Supply still be my best bet? I want to get something of good quality which will last.

Some places to check out could be Simons and the Bay. For men specifically, Moores could be a good bet too. 

Nordstrom has a lot of decently-priced suits. They don't have a store in Edmonton (Calgary is the closest). It could be worth a day trip though. 

Also, there are a couple great consignment stores in Calgary for men and women that sell suits - Vespucci for women, and Man of Distinction for men. 

Another good idea for this year could be to rent a suit as needed. I can't imagine there will be that many in-person events this year, so renting from a place like Derks (for men) could work. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, flyingfish said:

Thanks! What is the price I’d have to pay to buy something decent in Edmonton? I’m coming from a totally different line of work and I don’t know how much these things cost. My budget is pretty flexible. Would 1k do it or would Seattle or Suit Supply still be my best bet? I want to get something of good quality which will last.

I made it through 1L without a suit, not all that necessary. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 7:11 AM, flyingfish said:

Samuelsohn at Harry Rosen is likely in that price range and would be reasonably good quality. The extra money may be worth it if you are unfamiliar with how a suit should fit. 

The first suit I purchased before law school was a Z Zegna from Harry Rosen (they start at about $1500). It was a good experience for me and I ended up with a beautiful suit. There is value in someone taking the time to teach you about how a suit should fit and how different suits drape differently. 

That being said, I actually prefer my Suitsupply suits in most circumstances because they are more casual and easier to wear.

This is going to sound like a commercial for Indochino but here goes...

Please don't think you need to spend thousands of dollars on one suit. You still have a decent enough price range to find some good suits to last you through articling and beyond. 

Indochino in West Edmonton Mall has quality suits in that price range. They will custom fit your suit as well and all fittings are free, forever. As long as the suit is Indochino they will tailor it no matter when you got it. For our wedding (postponed due to covid) we were able to get fully tailored suits and shirts for our groomsmen that costed $485. We did not feel like we were sacrificing quality for price and the suits they helped us choose ended up being suits that can be used for more than just a wedding. They had great knowledge about fashion trends and helped us design suits that would age well past our wedding.

Go to their website or call to book an appointment to come in. Tell them your price range and they will help you create a suit that works with your finances. Not once did they try to upsell or force us into spending more money than we could afford. In fact, they actually helped us keep costs down by going through the suit with us down to the stitching. 

They may not be some crazy expensive designer, but for a starting law student with limited budget, they're perfect. They even offer student discounts! My partner (who is a lawyer in Edmonton, not that that matters) still wears his suits that he purchased 4-5 years ago and they have been amazing about him coming back a few times for refitting or repairs. You show them the issue with the suit and they fix it no questions asked. They honour their policy about letting people come back for tailoring. We had such a great experience there and they have such a good range of colours and fabrics. They've also been very reliable suits over the years, not too much wear and tear for the amount he is wearing them. Also he looks damn smart if I do say so myself but I might be biased. Even though he has been practicing and can afford more expensive suits, he still chooses Indochino because the customer service and quality is still great. We've recommended Indochino to other colleagues and friends and they have had nothing but good experience there. 

I wholeheartedly recommend Indochino to anyone who is looking for a suit. Especially someone who is looking for a suit on a budget. I hope this comment was helpful to you! 

Edited by Kingifer
Added detail about repairs
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, LionelHutzz said:

Spier & McKay is great. Pretty high quality for the price. 

I have a couple shirts and pairs of pants from Spier and Mackay, really good quality for that price. I haven't had the opportunity to try one of their suits, but they seem more traditionally cut.

I'd be really wary of Indochino, they are extremely hit or miss. I visited their showroom in Edmonton this summer and was not impressed (mostly because I happened to be in the mall and I was curious of their fabrics). While I haven't personally bought anything from them, my cousin had his wedding party all get matching suits from there and they looked awful. Not only were there pretty severe fit issues but they had bizarre details. They had patch pockets paired with a formal light grey fabric along black buttons that clashed.

Even a lot of the suits on the Indochino website have low arm holes and just look kinda meh.

• Like 1

Also agree with Spier & McKay. I have shirts, ties, and shoes, all of which are great. I don't quite fit their suits, otherwise I'd probably have those as well.

Good return policy as well, so you can always give it a shot. 

My first suit was Indochino, and it was good but not great. SuitSupply is miles better and many of their entry offerings are basically the same price. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Mal said:

I have a couple shirts and pairs of pants from Spier and Mackay, really good quality for that price. I haven't had the opportunity to try one of their suits, but they seem more traditionally cut.

I'd be really wary of Indochino, they are extremely hit or miss. I visited their showroom in Edmonton this summer and was not impressed (mostly because I happened to be in the mall and I was curious of their fabrics). While I haven't personally bought anything from them, my cousin had his wedding party all get matching suits from there and they looked awful. Not only were there pretty severe fit issues but they had bizarre details. They had patch pockets paired with a formal light grey fabric along black buttons that clashed.

Even a lot of the suits on the Indochino website have low arm holes and just look kinda meh.

I totally agree in regards to Indochino. I think they fool people because of their "customizability" (MTM) and as a result many overlook the poorer quality of the fabrics used and the overall assembly of suit. To the best of my knowledge they aren't full or half-canvas but fused. 

Spier & McKay has really impressed me. Both because of the price point and build quality. The jacket and trousers just feel higher quality and substantial than other brands at the same price point. Highly recommend! They are definitely more traditional in their cut, and they also offer a Neapolitan cut - which I personally love. 

Bang for buck - especially considering the financial situation of many law students - I'd go with Spier. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, atg25 said:

Bay downtown has good sales on suits and it is closing permanently soon. 

On a side note, my wife was nearly in tears upon reading that news... that store was a real anchor for those living near downtown who had... general shopping needs!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1