mouse6

Taking the November Test?

Hi all. I'm currently signed up for the August LSAT happening in a few days, but I'm debating withdrawing and writing in November instead. I'm currently PT-ing around 167, and though I've drilled through dozens of sections individually (all timed), the number of total full PTs I've done under test conditions is only about 7-8. I've hit 170+ twice, and dropped to 164 once - I'm certain I could reach 170 consistently by November, but almost 100% sure it would be impossible as of now.

My cGPA is about 3.5-3.6 (depending on whether summer grades are included), L2 = 3.87, B3 = 3.82. I'll be applying this cycle to UofT, Osgoode, Western, Ottawa, and Queens, in order of preference. I'm 100% gunning for UofT or Osgoode, and would strongly consider reapplying next cycle if rejected from either of those schools. Given my low cGPA and few ECs, I'm aiming for 170+. 

I started studying in June, and my studying was almost always sidelined due to an unprecedented number of distractions - family problems, changes in living situation, and health problems (just actually got out of the hospital two days ago). Averaging 167 isn't bad, but my mental and emotional state are honestly pretty drained. I'm not sure if I'm up for the test on Monday and I'm wondering if I should just give myself some rest and write in November. If I don't do well, I'd have to write in November anyways. I have nothing going on from now until then (already graduated), so I could dedicate more time and energy, but I also don't want to just chicken out. Are there any downsides to the November test, aside from the fact that scores will be ready later? Any honest opinions/insight into my situation would be greatly appreciated. 

Hi! I don't have an answer for you as I have no idea what would be best for you. But given that you just got out of the hospital, do you truly feel ready to write the exam in two days or would it be better to rest? Personally, your health matters way more because you are so important to so many people. Exams can always be taken when you're 100% ready. And the best thing is that most, if not all, Ontario schools will be taking the January LSAT write as the last write. So, you do three different opportunities to write if you do pass up August. 

Also, I hope you are feeling better. Both October and November LSATs are now Flex exams. Last thing, if you do end up writing and don't do as well as you would have liked, you could explain why in your Personal Statement. If, what you are going through, has been happening for a while (hence your GPA), I would recommend applying to the Access/Discretionary category.

All in all, I truly hope you feel better and things get better for you in life. Sending positive vibes your way 😊

• Like 1

Thank you for the kindness. I finished another PT today and figured if I can still do PTs, I can still write the test in a few days, even if I desperately want time off. I've just been overly anxious that postponing till November will somehow come back and bite me. I've heard that the Nov LSAT puts you out of the running for the first 1-2 rounds of acceptances at UofT, but not sure how accurate that info is. If I do get accepted to my top choices though, I honestly wouldn't care when. 

9 hours ago, mouse6 said:

Thank you for the kindness. I finished another PT today and figured if I can still do PTs, I can still write the test in a few days, even if I desperately want time off. I've just been overly anxious that postponing till November will somehow come back and bite me. I've heard that the Nov LSAT puts you out of the running for the first 1-2 rounds of acceptances at UofT, but not sure how accurate that info is. If I do get accepted to my top choices though, I honestly wouldn't care when. 

Of course, your health is very important. If you have it in you to tackle August, go for it. I'll cheer you on 😊

If worst comes to worst, then November is an option. I am unsure of how UofT makes decisions or when they make decisions, but I have a very good feeling you'll be accepted there. It sucks not knowing the unknown but what is known is that you have it in you to get this done. You have it in you to get a great LSAT mark. In your PS you can state that you wrote the August LSAT after being discharged from the hospital a coupe of days prior. I've had conversations with both Western and Queens and they are very kind people to deal with.

I know this is going to be easier said than done, but try not to stress. Stress won't do you much good. My mentor told me to practice mindfulness, I would suggest the same for you. You got this, chin up 😊

15 hours ago, mouse6 said:

Hi all. I'm currently signed up for the August LSAT happening in a few days, but I'm debating withdrawing and writing in November instead. I'm currently PT-ing around 167, and though I've drilled through dozens of sections individually (all timed), the number of total full PTs I've done under test conditions is only about 7-8. I've hit 170+ twice, and dropped to 164 once - I'm certain I could reach 170 consistently by November, but almost 100% sure it would be impossible as of now.

My cGPA is about 3.5-3.6 (depending on whether summer grades are included), L2 = 3.87, B3 = 3.82. I'll be applying this cycle to UofT, Osgoode, Western, Ottawa, and Queens, in order of preference. I'm 100% gunning for UofT or Osgoode, and would strongly consider reapplying next cycle if rejected from either of those schools. Given my low cGPA and few ECs, I'm aiming for 170+. 

I started studying in June, and my studying was almost always sidelined due to an unprecedented number of distractions - family problems, changes in living situation, and health problems (just actually got out of the hospital two days ago). Averaging 167 isn't bad, but my mental and emotional state are honestly pretty drained. I'm not sure if I'm up for the test on Monday and I'm wondering if I should just give myself some rest and write in November. If I don't do well, I'd have to write in November anyways. I have nothing going on from now until then (already graduated), so I could dedicate more time and energy, but I also don't want to just chicken out. Are there any downsides to the November test, aside from the fact that scores will be ready later? Any honest opinions/insight into my situation would be greatly appreciated. 

There are downsides to the November test.

Ontario has Nov 1 (?) deadline and your application is not ready for admission decisions.

Edited by Luckycharm

5 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

There are downsides to the November test.

Ontario has Nov 1 (?) deadline and your application is not ready for admission decisions.

I believe thats just when applications are to be submitted in OLSAS, but the LSAT can be taken at a later date. For most schools (not all) the latest the LSAT can be taken is January 2021. But it's probably best to take it either in or before November. 

I emailed a few Ontario universities about this and they stated that the latest LSAT mark they will consider is January. 

Since OP's first choice is UofT, I did some research here:

#10. When should I write the LSAT?

Effective June 2019
In Canada and the US, the LSAT is offered eight times a year, normally in June, July, September, October, November, January, February and April. For the desired year of entry into the JD first year, the latest score we will accept for first-year entry is that year's January LSAT score and for upper year entry that year's June LSAT score. We recommend that you write earlier.

An LSAT score is valid for 5 years. For entry into first-year we suggest that you write the LSAT by the November of your final year of university. Our admissions process is rolling, which means that offers of admission will begin to go out in early December. The class may be close to full once the results of the January LSAT become available.
#12. My LSAT test is scheduled after the application deadline, what should I do?

Always apply to OLSAS by the application deadline.
Do not hold up applying to OLSAS to await registering for the LSAT or your test scores. The OLSAS application form will ask if a future test will be taken, and it will retrieve the future score from the LSAC once it is available.

#13. If I write the LSAT more than once, which score is used?

An LSAT score is valid for five years. If more than one LSAT score is reported, all LSAT scores within the past five years will be seen and considered by the Admissions Committee. Generally, we place emphasis on the highest LSAT score reported. We do not average scores.

I also took a look at Osgoode here:

Law School Admission Test (LSAT)

You must complete the LSAT no later than January of the year you intend to start the program.  For the 2021 application cycle we will accept LSAT scores from tests taken between June 2016-January 2021, and we consider your highest score.  Applicants wishing to be considered for the Income Contingent Loan Program must write the LSAT by November 2020.

Does anyone know if the January test will be Flex? Also, has anyone here taken Flex? I want to take Flex because it seems easier, but I also want to give myself enough time to study. 

17 minutes ago, Husns said:

Does anyone know if the January test will be Flex? Also, has anyone here taken Flex? I want to take Flex because it seems easier, but I also want to give myself enough time to study. 

I haven't taken Flex but the January LSAT hasn't been announced yet. So, right now, it's still an in-person exam.

• Like 1

I would suggest not cancelling the August flex, given that it doesn't count towards your yearly amount of LSATs you can take. Go through it for the experience maybe, and get a feel of how the test feels? 

4 minutes ago, Guest777 said:

I would suggest not cancelling the August flex, given that it doesn't count towards your yearly amount of LSATs you can take. Go through it for the experience maybe, and get a feel of how the test feels? 

So would you recommend not cancelling it at all, since it does not count towards yearly amounts?

Is it your first time taking LSAT? You could still register for ScorePreview - this will allow you to cancel your score (after you have seen it), should feel it is too low. 

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I didn't see the latest posts until now. Thanks for all the input. I ended up deciding to postpone August as it was just an absurdly stressful time for me, and I'll be taking it in Nov (possibly also Jan)

• Like 1