Jump to content
SimmmiSS

Extra Courses

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I have a rather silly question and I would like to know if anyone has already asked this question- which would save me a lot of timeĀ šŸ˜Š

I was speaking to my faculty advisor and was told that some universities do not accept extra credits taken beyond their degree. Meaning, if I take extra courses that are not necessary in order to graduate, other universities may not take those credits into consideration. Has anyone emailed admissions at Canadian universities and asked this question?Ā 

What I do know is that some universities are not taking Pass/Fail courses into consideration since those courses are not graded. So, I wonder, if I do take extra courses to cancel out the Pass/Fail courses- is that something other universities would do.Ā 

I hope this question makes sense. If this sounds absolutely ridiculous, I apologize in advance.

Ā 

Edit: I should mention as I am thinking about taking a couple of extra courses to increase my GPA for the Fall 2020 term.Ā 

Edited by SimmmiSS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If they're taken during your full course load, then my prediction is they will take it into consideration, even if it's not necessary to graduate. Though, this really only makes sense if you are able to do really well on all your graded courses during the semester/year. If taking these extra courses will hinder your ability to get an A+ in your other courses, I wouldn't do it. The benefits may be outweighed by the disadvantagesĀ at that point.

Edited by georgecostanzajr
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, SimmmiSS said:

I was speaking to my faculty advisor and was told that some universities do not accept extra credits taken beyond their degree. Meaning, if I take extra courses that are not necessary in order to graduate, other universities may not take those credits into consideration. Has anyone emailed admissions at Canadian universities and asked this question?Ā 

I have never heard of this. I'm pretty sure Canadian law schools will take your grades at face-value, and in fact I remember reading on some school's website that they do. If it's an L2 school they would just look at whatever your L2 courses happen to be.

Disclaimer: I don't work in admissions and generally have no idea what I'm talking about.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the answer will really depend on the particular school and also whether the courses appear on your transcript before or after your degree is conferred. I believe that for a majority of schools, these courses would be taken into consideration.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Pretty sure youā€™re wrong about how pass/fail or credit/no credit marks are evaluated. To my knowledge these are included in the L60/L2 calculation for the purposes of satisying the the credit total, but are not included in L60/L2 gradeĀ calculations.

Ā 

so, for example someone who pass/failed all 5 classes in their last semester (assuming they took the standard 5/5/5/5 classes their last four semesters) their GPA would only be calculated using their first 3 semesters, since there is no grade in their fourth.

Edited by Sambo1261

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SimmmiSS said:

I was speaking to my faculty advisor and was told that some universities do not accept extra credits taken beyond their degree.

This will only comeĀ into playĀ if you complete theĀ additional courses after your first undergraduateĀ degree has been conferred, because some schools (UBC comes to mind) only considerĀ first undergraduate degrees.Ā Similarly, neither UofA nor UVicĀ consider post-degree grades from intro-level courses.Ā 

Edited by Tagger
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tagger said:

This only comes into playĀ if you complete theĀ additional courses after your first undergraduateĀ degree has been conferred, because some schools (UBC comes to mind) only considerĀ first undergraduate degrees.Ā Similarly, UofA and UVicĀ don't consider post-degree grades from intro-level courses.Ā 

So, basically, I graduated with a diploma from one institution since the degree was not offered there at the time. I applied to take the degree at another institution- so this is my first and only degree. What the advisor said was that I only need to take 3 courses in Fall 2020 (9 credits) and then my practicum in Winter 2021. I asked her if I wanted to take 5 courses (15 credits) as opposed to 3 courses- what happens and she then stated that those courses would be extra and that they might be able to replace those courses with my Pass/Fail courses. If not, my extra courses could be swapped with two other courses, that's if I do better. She didn't really get into the logistics of how that all works exactly, but stated I would receive an email by the end of Fall 2020 on how those courses could come into play.

As for other universities, that's where I am a little confused. My advisor said that some universities look at your last 20 courses and work backwards and take extra courses into consideration. And then there are other universities that do not look at anything beyond what was needed in an undergrad degree.Ā I have 20 courses (60 credits) from one institution and 42 credits in my degree program.

Ā 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, castlepie said:

I have never heard of this. I'm pretty sure Canadian law schools will take your grades at face-value, and in fact I remember reading on some school's website that they do. If it's an L2 school they would just look at whatever your L2 courses happen to be.

Disclaimer: I don't work in admissions and generally have no idea what I'm talking about.

Thanks for weighing in. I would assume they would take those extra courses at face value as well but I just don't want to spend extra money on courses that wouldn't be used in calculating my GPA at all- you know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Musashi said:

I think the answer will really depend on the particular school and also whether the courses appear on your transcript before or after your degree is conferred. I believe that for a majority of schools, these courses would be taken into consideration.

I appreciate your response, thank you so much! These extra courses would show up on my transcript by the end of Fall 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Sambo1261 said:

Pretty sure youā€™re wrong about how pass/fail or credit/no credit marks are evaluated. To my knowledge these are included in the L60/L2 calculation for the purposes of satisying the the credit total, but are not included in L60/L2 gradeĀ calculations.

I wouldn't be surprised if I am wrong, however, those words are not mine- that's just what I was told. And what you're saying totally makes sense. Some universities, however, are not taking Pass/Fail courses into consideration.

48 minutes ago, Sambo1261 said:

so, for example someone who pass/failed all 5 classes in their last semester (assuming they took the standard 5/5/5/5 classes their last four semesters) their GPA would only be calculated using their first 3 semesters, since there is no grade in their fourth.

Right- so taking Pass/Fail courses aren't very beneficial, per se, since they add no value. This is why I am curious to know whether anyone has emailed or contacted admissions at any university asking this question- "if extra courses are taken, are they taken into consideration or no?"

Ā 

Edit: Ooooo, I messed up- sorry haha, that question was asked by me but it was something I asked my faculty advisor and she said that it was something that I would find out at the end of the semesterĀ šŸ˜…

Edited by SimmmiSS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SimmmiSS said:

I wouldn't be surprised if I am wrong, however, those words are not mine- that's just what I was told. And what you're saying totally makes sense. Some universities, however, are not taking Pass/Fail courses into consideration.

Right- so taking Pass/Fail courses aren't very beneficial, per se, since they add no value. This is why I am curious to know whether anyone has emailed or contacted admissions at any university asking this question- "if extra courses are taken, are they taken into consideration or no?"

Itā€™s answered all over these forums. As I recall most schools do but a couple donā€™t (e.g. Oz)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sambo1261 said:

Itā€™s answered all over these forums. As I recall most schools do but a couple donā€™t (e.g. Oz)

I tried looking, I honestly couldn't find anything- that's on me though. Thank you for respondingĀ šŸ˜Š

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, georgecostanzajr said:

If they're taken during your full course load, then my prediction is they will take it into consideration, even if it's not necessary to graduate. Though, this really only makes sense if you are able to do really well on all your graded courses during the semester/year. If taking these extra courses will hinder your ability to get an A+ in your other courses, I wouldn't do it. The benefits may be outweighed by the disadvantagesĀ at that point.

I have some courses where I did not do well (I have one C at the very beginning of my degree and then a couple of Bs) and that's why I feel if I take a full course load, it would work in my favor.

I totally get what you're saying and this makes perfect sense. Thank you!Ā šŸ˜Š

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SimmmiSS said:

Ā I asked her if I wanted to take 5 courses (15 credits) as opposed to 3 courses- what happens and she then stated that those courses would be extra and that they might be able to replace those courses with my Pass/Fail courses. If not, my extra courses could be swapped with two other courses, that's if I do better. She didn't really get into the logistics of how that all works exactly, but stated I would receive an email by the end of Fall 2020 on how those courses could come into play.

Your current institution may "swap" some of your lower grades with your new grades, but law schools won't. They'll receive all of your grades and calculate your GPA according to their own methods (cGPA, L2/B2, cGPA after drops, etc.)Ā 
Ā 

5 minutes ago, SimmmiSS said:

My advisor said that some universities look at your last 20 courses and work backwards and take extra courses into consideration. And then there are other universities that do not look at anything beyond what was needed in an undergrad degree.Ā I have 20 courses (60 credits) from one institution and 42 credits in my degree program.

Your advisor's right about this: both UCalgary andĀ UofA, for example,Ā considerĀ all of the grades from the semester that contains your 60th credit (in reverse chronological order). Not sure how diploma credits affect that calculation, so I'd recommend contacting the schools directly.Ā Ā 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tagger said:

Your current institution may "swap" some of your lower grades with your new grades, but law schools won't. They'll receive all of your grades and calculate your GPA according to their own methods (cGPA, L2/B2, cGPA after drops, etc.)Ā 

Ah, gotcha. Okay. This has helped tremendously, thank you @TaggerĀ šŸ˜Š

2 minutes ago, Tagger said:

Your advisor's right about this: both UCalgary andĀ UofA, for example,Ā considerĀ all of the grades from the semester that contains your 60th credit (in reverse chronological order). Not sure how diploma credits affect that calculation, so I'd recommend contacting the schools directly.Ā Ā 

The diploma coversĀ my first two years and then the degree covers my next two years, same field and faculty. I did ask about my diploma and I was told that (depending on the university) that they would take a look at my diploma and calculate grades accordingly. So, if a university looks at L20, then my diploma wouldn't be needed but if they look at my last 90 credits, then my diploma comes into play.

Ā 

Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me. I appreciate it so much!Ā šŸ˜Š

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SimmmiSS said:

Ah, gotcha. Okay. This has helped tremendously, thank you @TaggerĀ šŸ˜Š

The diploma coversĀ my first two years and then the degree covers my next two years, same field and faculty. I did ask about my diploma and I was told that (depending on the university) that they would take a look at my diploma and calculate grades accordingly. So, if a university looks at L20, then my diploma wouldn't be needed but if they look at my last 90 credits, then my diploma comes into play.

Ā 

Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me. I appreciate it so much!Ā šŸ˜Š

Yes, that's correct.Ā 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

These threads will be helpful to comb through if you haven't already, although both could use some updating. Should be stickied IMO.Ā 

Edited by Sambo1261
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sambo1261 said:

These threads will be helpful to comb through if you haven't already, although both could use some updating. Should be stickied IMO.Ā 

Thank you! Sorry for the late reply, I just saw this now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...