Thrive92

Does TRU break up the L20 by semester/academic year?

Hi everyone. I have searched this forum for the answer to this question, but it seems like there is not much information about this.

I also tried emailing the admissions about this question, but I never received a response...

Does anyone know if TRU break up the last 20 credits by semester or by academic year if the 20th credit lands on the middle of a semester? Would they consider all of the courses in that semester, or the entire academic year?

Thanks!

Giving this a lil boost because I'm also curious about the answer. (Summer credits & alternating between 4 - 5 classes means my 20th course lands in a spot where they'd have to exclude 2/5 classes from that semester to not exceed 20... unless they don't count the two Pass/CR on my transcript, but it seems the jury is still out on that one). 

On 8/23/2020 at 12:04 PM, lh22 said:

Giving this a lil boost because I'm also curious about the answer. (Summer credits & alternating between 4 - 5 classes means my 20th course lands in a spot where they'd have to exclude 2/5 classes from that semester to not exceed 20... unless they don't count the two Pass/CR on my transcript, but it seems the jury is still out on that one). 

I got a reply from them in email!

Thank-you for your interest in Thompson Rivers University and the Law (JD) program.

We would take into account the last 20 academic courses of your undergrad. If you are applying in the 2021 school year, then we don’t look at any classes that you took Winter 2021 (Jan-Apr 2021).

If the 20th course fall in a semester where you took 4 other courses for example, then we’d look at the best course in that particular semester.

So it is literally the last 20 courses without breaking up semesters or academic years...interesting

Edited by Thrive92
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Thrive92 said:

I got a reply from them in email!

Thank-you for your interest in Thompson Rivers University and the Law (JD) program.

We would take into account the last 20 academic courses of your undergrad. If you are applying in the 2021 school year, then we don’t look at any classes that you took Winter 2021 (Jan-Apr 2021).

If the 20th course fall in a semester where you took 4 other courses for example, then we’d look at the best course in that particular semester.

So it is literally the last 20 courses without breaking up semesters or academic years...interesting

That's some great info! thanks for letting us know. Btw did they mention anything about how they will treat Pass/Fail courses from Winter 2020? 

Just now, lwyrup2021 said:

That's some great info! thanks for letting us know. Btw did they mention anything about how they will treat Pass/Fail courses from Winter 2020? 

No sadly, I think they are still talking about it.

I am checking their website daily though for any updates :) Hopefully they do what U of C does and dont look farther than the L20

Edited by Thrive92
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, lwyrup2021 said:

I can answer this. I asked them this question and they stated to check their FAQ section on October 1 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/24/2020 at 10:28 PM, Thrive92 said:

No sadly, I think they are still talking about it.

I am checking their website daily though for any updates :) Hopefully they do what U of C does and dont look farther than the L20

On 8/24/2020 at 10:38 PM, SimmmiSS said:

I can answer this. I asked them this question and they stated to check their FAQ section on October 1 😊

Hey just wanted to update yall - so looks like they updated their policy on the website and they are actually dismissing all courses from winter and summer 2020 for gpa calculations. https://www.tru.ca/law/admissions/faqs.html 

Edited by lwyrup2021

19 minutes ago, lwyrup2021 said:

Hey just wanted to update yall - so looks like they updated their policy on the website and they are actually dismissing all courses from winter and summer 2020 for gpa calculations. https://www.tru.ca/law/admissions/faqs.html 

........crap. That was literally my best term. 

Edited by castlepie

48 minutes ago, lwyrup2021 said:

I just read it... oh my gosh... that literally means any courses taken from January to August 2020... why wouldn't they just dismiss the credit/fail courses? That's insane...

So, I just sent them an email. This would really hurt a ton of students applying to TRU. I mean, it would make a lot of us not as competitive especially when our Winter, Spring, Summer 2020 terms were probably our best terms.

Edited by SimmmiSS
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, SimmmiSS said:

I just read it... oh my gosh... that literally means any courses taken from January to August 2020... why wouldn't they just dismiss the credit/fail courses? That's insane...

yeah it makes no sense. I'm considering not even applying if this policy stays because it completely disadvantages those who actually received credits the past two semesters, an entire worth of courses...unbelievable. 

• Like 1

Just now, lwyrup2021 said:

yeah it makes no sense. I'm considering not even applying if this policy stays because it completely disadvantages those who actually received credits the past two semesters, an entire worth of courses...unbelievable. 

Right? I mean, they will still look at those courses, as per their policy, but they will not use those courses to calculate GPAs- which, is definitely mind boggling to me.

I'll post an update once they respond.

Yup...this seriously screwed me. The grades I received from those semester that TRU is excluding is some of my best grades I got so far. I'm calculating at least a 0.3 GPA difference if I exclude those courses :(

I have also emailed TRU, and they said that now they are considering only 15 courses instead of 20, but the semesters they would consider for GPA calculation would be: Fall 2020 (this september - december), then they would jump to Fall 2019 and before that until they land on 15 courses.

My chances of being admitted has gone from a half - half to a near impossible unless I go nuts and score big on the LSAT :) yay

1 hour ago, SimmmiSS said:

So, I just sent them an email. This would really hurt a ton of students applying to TRU. I mean, it would make a lot of us not as competitive especially when our Winter, Spring, Summer 2020 terms were probably our best terms.

Yeah.. For some, it may have been their worst term, but for others, it might be their best. and it's a recent term too, so arguably indicative of our most recent abilities. Myself personally I made a lot of sacrifices that term in order to really focus on my studies, and now that it's not going to be counted... :(  It's a full percent difference for me, which I guess is not that much, but who knows.

Edited by castlepie

5 minutes ago, castlepie said:

Yeah.. For some, it may have been their worst term, but for others, it might be their best. and it's a recent term too, so arguably indicative of our most recent abilities. Myself personally I made a lot of sacrifices that term in order to really focus on my studies, and now that it's not going to be counted... :(  It's a full percent difference for me, which I guess is not that much, but who knows.

I'm so sorry. The only positive thing I see about this is that it affects everyone and not just a few people- and I say that this is a positive thing because no one is going to benefit from this. The only people I see benefitting are those that took no courses or have completed their degrees prior to Winter 2020. 

For you, this is what I would suggest: in your personal statement, talk about how hard you worked in Winter-Summer terms. Talk about what it took for you to obtain the grades you received. Given, those grades will not be calculated but that doesn't mean you can't talk about how hard you worked for those grades. Remember, TRU has a holistic admissions process. 

I did receive an email back, two actually, and it is confirmed- they will not be calculating grades from Winter, Spring, and Summer 2020 but those courses will count towards our degree requirements. 

I emailed back and asked if this was the news that was supposed to be posted on October 1, 2020 and this is what I received as a response:

We were hoping to have an answer for 2021 Fall applicants before the October 1, 2020 application date opened, and we were able to post the answer regarding COVID admissions impacts a bit earlier than expected.

That was the news that was supposed to be posted in October. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SimmmiSS said:

I'm so sorry. The only positive thing I see about this is that it affects everyone and not just a few people- and I say that this is a positive thing because no one is going to benefit from this. The only people I see benefitting are those that took no courses or have completed their degrees prior to Winter 2020. 

For you, this is what I would suggest: in your personal statement, talk about how hard you worked in Winter-Summer terms. Talk about what it took for you to obtain the grades you received. Given, those grades will not be calculated but that doesn't mean you can't talk about how hard you worked for those grades. Remember, TRU has a holistic admissions process. 

I did receive an email back, two actually, and it is confirmed- they will not be calculating grades from Winter, Spring, and Summer 2020 but those courses will count towards our degree requirements. 

I emailed back and asked if this was the news that was supposed to be posted on October 1, 2020 and this is what I received as a response:

That was the news that was supposed to be posted in October. 

Thank you. I guess that'll have to be my plan at this point. And question: by "Winter, Spring and Summer 2020," that just means January-August right?

Just now, castlepie said:

Thank you. I guess that'll have to be my plan at this point. And question: by "Winter, Spring and Summer 2020," that just means January-August right?

Yes, January to August. You're going to do great, don't let news like this consume you. If you ever need to just talk, feel free to PM me.

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2020 at 1:12 PM, Thrive92 said:

Yup...this seriously screwed me. The grades I received from those semester that TRU is excluding is some of my best grades I got so far. I'm calculating at least a 0.3 GPA difference if I exclude those courses :(

I have also emailed TRU, and they said that now they are considering only 15 courses instead of 20, but the semesters they would consider for GPA calculation would be: Fall 2020 (this september - december), then they would jump to Fall 2019 and before that until they land on 15 courses.

My chances of being admitted has gone from a half - half to a near impossible unless I go nuts and score big on the LSAT :) yay

Same here! The winter semester was my last semester and solely to bring up my GPA. Similar to you, when I don't calculate that semester my GPA is heavily impacted. This is actually so discouraging. I feel terrible for potential law students who worked extremely hard these past few semesters, regardless of the circumstances, and then find out that those grades won't even be counted. :( 

On 9/1/2020 at 4:12 PM, Thrive92 said:

Just found this thread! I am in the same situation as some people here...winter 2020 was the best tern in my whole degree lol. In regards to the 15 course calculation, any idea on what would happen if you had 14? Like would they take my best mark from the previous semester to make it 15? Or would they literally just go backwards and pick whichever is next on my list even if it isn't the strongest course of that semester (if that makes sense). I would think that maybe they would wait until the fall 2020 grades are updated so they have 15+ courses to look at? 

I'll send an email to confirm but I just wanted to know if anyone had received clarification on this. 

What a bizarre decision by TRU. My GPA is relatively consistent, but, like... bruh. That's a year's worth of classes being excluded. And a year's worth of upper level courses that they're not using for evaluation, at least for anyone who isn't graduated yet. This means they're dipping into my first year to get 15. I mean, they're welcome to my grade from PSYC 101, but how is that useful in determining my performance in more challenging work?

1 hour ago, culitigator said:

Just found this thread! I am in the same situation as some people here...winter 2020 was the best tern in my whole degree lol. In regards to the 15 course calculation, any idea on what would happen if you had 14? Like would they take my best mark from the previous semester to make it 15? Or would they literally just go backwards and pick whichever is next on my list even if it isn't the strongest course of that semester (if that makes sense). I would think that maybe they would wait until the fall 2020 grades are updated so they have 15+ courses to look at? 

I'll send an email to confirm but I just wanted to know if anyone had received clarification on this. 

After your L14 is established, they go to the previous semester and choose your best grade to add to the L15. 

• Like 1