TheGeneral

Long Term Posters Why do you Post?

Posted (edited)

I didnt know anyone in the legal field when I began considering law school. I was in life sciences and competing against students who had 4.0 GPAs and talked about nothing but med school, all day every day. I was not one of those perfect students and assumed the entrance barrier for law was just as high. After graduating undergrad with my biology degree and zero relevant experience, I truly believed I was at a dead end while (unsuccessfully) searching for minimum wage lab tech jobs.

This forum was the only way I was able to candidly learn about the profession and is honestly the reason I pursued a legal career. I'll never forget the day I found the old "rate my chances" thread, took my first practice LSAT, and realized I could actually get into law school with my stats. Threads about dressing professionally (I thought a black suit was the peak of business professional), what to put in a personal statement or cover letter, how to handle stress in 1L, how to nail an OCI, etc. have saved me many times. Four years ago, I truly could not have imagined that I'd someday be working in downtown Toronto making a near six figure income. And I owe a TON of gratification to the posters on this forum, who have been more helpful than any CDO, recruiter, lawyer, or upper year student I've spoken to.

I doubt, OP, that you'd think it was a waste of time for a lawyer to mentor a student. Why is posting on this forum any different?

Edit: Also, I sometimes am amazed at how important this forum has become for the Canadian law landscape, even though for some reason students treat it like a secret. But the influence is huge. Here's an example: I was having a conversation with another student before OCIs and we were trying to name the Seven Sisters. Without a hint of sarcasm, he suggested "Morgan's?"

Edited by chaboywb
  • Like 11

Ah Morgan’s. In terms of my personal impact on the legal profession that joke might be the biggest part I will have to play. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I'll bite but not question by question, since it really does just feel like click bait. I think this can be useful to others.

This site has helped me learn about a profession I literally had 0 in roads to by virtue of being born who I was. I had in roads into another profession, and I decided I wanted to try to "work for the public good" somehow, and this profession seemed more conducive to that. But networks are a big thing, and starting at 0 can be difficult - especially if your name isn't Mike Ross.

This site helped me build a network, get a job which led to other jobs (and surely my current one as well), and helped me create a network of mentors who I look up to, and friends I can count on. I simply want to return the favour, to the extent that I can.

Having started work now, it is definitely more difficult to write out posts like this. And I'll still try to as much as I can, just like many harder working and busier and more important senior counsel do and have done. But this feels a way to "do good" without doing it by practising law, or going to networking functions, which I find the non - Mike Ross's of the legal world can shy away from, especially when just starting out.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Short answer: 

- it’s a community and you can learn a lot from this place on where to begin your law school journey and onwards (I.e., articling and work). 

I was 16 when I wanted to go to law school. This form helped me navigate through everything, especially with the Lsat and all the info on different schools I’ve would have never had a clue about. 

It’s been a long time, since I’ve officially joined in 2014. I intend to keep posting because this is my community. I’ve also made some great friends on here too that are in my class.

Also, I type 100 wpm and have a great social life. I promise I’m not a loser.. 

Edited by lindsn

First off, anyone who responded to the OP with more than a single sentence is a complete buffoon who got effortlessly trolled. lol

Secondly (yes, I know I am writing more than a sentence here but it's not in direct response to the OP so I'm not a hypocrite), I just noticed that the OP was a @TheGeneral alt account and got merged (when it was posted it was from a fresh account), and I wanted to point that out and say it's hilarious, since that user is clearly butthurt as they were previously repeatedly posting nonsense and getting called out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CleanHands said:

First off, anyone who responded to the OP with more than a single sentence is a complete buffoon who got effortlessly trolled. lol

Secondly (yes, I know I am writing more than a sentence here but it's not in direct response to the OP so I'm not a hypocrite), I just noticed that the OP was a @TheGeneral alt account and got merged (when it was posted it was from a fresh account), and I wanted to point that out and say it's hilarious, since that user is clearly butthurt as they were previously repeatedly posting nonsense and getting called out.

200.gif

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, artsydork said:

200.gif

I didn't bother to read your post and I don't care enough to rectify that now. 😉

Long time sports discussion group, why do you talk about other people or yourselves imparting motion to objects under rule-sets that are fundamentally arbitrary?  Why do you post here?  What are your motivations?  There are users on here who have posted nearly every day, for a decade.  Why?  

Don't you get bored with the same topic and the same questions like "March Madness", "Stanley Cup 20XX" or "What is the CFL?"

How come you don't use the time you use on this website to spend with your family, friends, your work or hobbies?  I think it's reasonable to assume participants in a sports discussion forum neglect their family, friends, work or hobbies.  I'm sure I will hear responses like "wtf are you talking about, I actually play sports, and on occasion I kinda-sorta like some of these people".  But this makes no sense.  Why not?  Simply because there are more effective or efficient ways to have fun and there exist are people that you like more.  QED.

Time is too precious to have Internet friends.  Remember, every minute that goes, 60 seconds pass in Africa that no one will get back because time is linear.  The average age of death in Canada is 82.25 years.  I can only imagine how long it would be in seconds.  Why waste time on this website?

Why waste time at all? (For the unfamiliar, read right to left)

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

I didn't bother to read your post and I don't care enough to rectify that now. 😉

Dude, are you still on about that time that you came at me on language choice when you ended up agreeing with another poster on that issue in a different thread?

I mean, I don't care whether you read my posts (save when you do and for whatever reason draw your ire) but if you're going to make fun of everyone in the thread for responding to the OP at least read the posts since most of us gave troll-y answers back.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Although isn’t it a troll self own? “Ha. Stupid people reflecting on how and why they enjoy a community thereby reinforcing cohesion. LOLZ!!!”

Edited by almostnot
  • Like 5

Yeah, TheGeneral was the OP when I posted and I knew he was a troll. But still, it's not an entirely ridiculous question - there have been many forums and websites over the years for which I often reflect on why I wasted so much time on them. But as far as ones that have created real value in my life, this forum is definitely top of the list.

Posted (edited)

I'd have more enthusiasm to engage in this discussion if it wasn't started by such an idiot. Then again, at least some of the satisfaction I gain from posting comes from correcting idiocy, so I can't really understand why I'm having trouble rousing enthusiasm for this one.

Many here are familiar with my theses on class politics. I do believe that we get an unrepresentative sampling of all possible law school students/applicants etc. because there's some truth to the fact that anonymous advice on the Internet is a second-best option to advice from real people. I don't accept the idiotic suggestion we're somehow less authoritative than other anonymous sources of advice on the Internet just because General Idiot says so, but I do acknowledge this isn't a place you come if your parents are lawyers, or know a lot of lawyers. It's a place that you find because you don't have better sources of advice. And in some cases where you stick around because you realize that despite having found other sources of advice, what you get here is shockingly good. But that's not where it starts.

Here's a story. I remember when I was in undergrad and contemplating law school I actually wrote an email to some lawyer who had a column in, I believe, The Metro (that subway rag) and it was on employment law or maybe real estate or something. I asked his advice only because I had his email and I literally couldn't think of who else to ask. Now honestly, if I tried harder I could have found better people to network towards. But that's how far removed I was from legitimate sources of advice. He didn't answer, btw. I've reflected on that many times since, when I get tired questions from people by PM that I think I'd rather not bother with. But complete silence is a message of its own, and one I'd rather not send.

I do believe this forum mainly serves students who wouldn't get decent advice otherwise. And yes, does it far better than whatever other alternatives might exist on the Internet. Could it be a subreddit instead? Well, with the same people, sure. But it's the community that makes it good, not the posting format. The crap people bring from elsewhere sometimes (not that I go looking for it myself) constantly amazes me. Citing some American source about how to hire an applications consultant to dress up your personal statement with heartwarming stories of the adversity you've overcome in life when the housekeeper you were much closer with than your own parents was hospitalized with cancer and someone else who didn't know how to prepare your eggs properly was making your breakfasts all through your exams. I mean seriously. I don't need General Idiot telling me what else is on the Internet. I know this community is that much better, which is a big part of why I come back. That, and knowing that the people who come here for advice are the ones who really need it - not the one's who'd ask dad's golfing buddies first.

Now, the easiest and laziest smackdown in the world. Dude. Everything you've posted here has been completely fucking nuts, and based in gross misunderstandings about how the law and the legal marketplace works. And rather than be grateful that complete strangers are taking their time to try to help you, and actually listen to what they have to say, you've responded at every turn by doubling down on your stupidity and insisting you already know everything there is to know. Now you come back with this idiocy, presuming to tell me that I'm wasting my time here. Well with you, I obviously AM wasting my time. Although you've pulled the "useful idiot" move here really well, by asking an interesting question intended purely as troll bait. I acknowledge that other than being a useful idiot you're a waste of my time and keystrokes. But other people aren't. And honestly, the basis of your questions and criticism really do fall within the Dunning-Kruger Effect where you can't understand why anyone would find this forum useful simply because you are too stupid yourself to find use in it. You just lack the insight and ability to tell good advice from bad because to you they both seem the same.

And yeah, I type one hell of a lot more than 40 WPM also. Just fyi.

Edited by Diplock
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Diplock said:

That, and knowing that the people who come here for advice are the ones who really need it - not the one's who'd ask dad's golfing buddies first.

I also want to point out that the farther out dad's golfing buddies get from law school, articling, and being a junior associate, the less likely they'll be able to provide useful advice about law school and the start of one's legal career. So, in that way, this forum also serves those who would also have access to information about legal practice from other sources.

Some of us stick around for a long time, but there is an underlying revolving door of law students and articling students who are living those experiences now, and that's not necessarily insight you would get from your dad's golfing buddies who articled at Heenan Blaikie.

• Like 7

On 8/21/2020 at 4:37 PM, artsydork said:

...Does it still count as waste if I write from the bathroom?

Ptthft. With my Pavlovian anus, it's basically the only way I can use the bathroom at this point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
On 8/21/2020 at 12:04 PM, TheGeneral said:

Ok, so I came to this site by accident when looking for some info on various Canadian law schools.  However, I must say,  I am not sure this site serves much of a useful purpose, and is nothing more than another internet reddit discussion board on the rather mundane subject of law school admissions/how to become a lawyer.  

Which leads me to questions for long term posters:

1.  Why do you post here?  What are your motivations?  There are users on here who have posted nearly every day, for a decade.  Why?  

2.  The average typing speed is 40 WPM.  Some posts/responses have exceeded 500 words.  So that's nearly 13 minutes of your day for replying/responding to one post, -not including reading it or other threads.  Furthermore, some of you have more than one post/reply per day.   Also, as aforementioned, some of you post/reply everyday for 7 days a week.  So that's 1.5 hours per week minimum, and about 78 hours per year.  So essentially three full days on this website per year, or 780 hours per decade which equates to more than a month of your life you will never get back.  Why?

3.  Don't you get bored with the same topic and the same questions like "Chances", or "Grades"?

4.  How come you don't use the time you use on this website to spend with your family, friends, your work, or hobbies?

I am sure I will hear responses like you are doing a public service, educating the public, etc, but this makes no sense.  Why not?  Simply because lawyers or law students can do this better with other avenues, such as legal clinics, or educational seminars.  

Time is precious friends.  Every minute that goes by is a minute you will not get back.  The average age of death in Canada is 82.25 years.  Why waste time on this website?

Well, I don't post here every day but I am usually on here once per week at least... does that qualify?

1. Why do I post here and what are my motivations: there are a few. I want to see if others are in the same position I am in or facing the same issues, and it is nice when I see that I am not so alone as I feel sometimes (not a cry for help but after re-reading that it sure sounds like it...). As well, I want to try to help whomever I can if I can and will post if that is the case. Finally, I like to engage in discussions with others about things I am interested in and what better place to find like-minded people than on an internet forum full of law students and lawyers.

2. You cannot create accurate stats based on assumptions but I sure hope your lawyer/law student is able to type faster than that! I was up to 78WPM before law school.

3. I just avoid those topics...

4. Because sometimes I need a break from life, and this is one of those breaks I can do at work.

Your next point is not a question but I refute it regardless. This board requires no commitment, whereas legal clinics and seminars require a great deal of commitment. I can visit here for 15 minutes, post something stupid and run away back to my work or family or friends or whatever.

Also to your next point: if spending time on this website is wasting time, surely making a post trying to figure out why people waste time on this website is a bigger waste of time, no? Also, aren't you the person who had a bunch of stuff deleted? Which never happens here so that's saying something...

Edited by goalie
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 1:04 PM, TheGeneral said:

1.  Why do you post here?  What are your motivations?  There are users on here who have posted nearly every day, for a decade.  Why?  

My friend - a handful of us migrated here from an older, defunct board and have been discussing these issues for 15 years or more.

Why?  I like trying to help people is all.  I have experience, try to pass it on, that kind of thing.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Malicious Prosecutor said:

My friend - a handful of us migrated here from an older, defunct board and have been discussing these issues for 15 years or more.

Why?  I like trying to help people is all.  I have experience, try to pass it on, that kind of thing.

Some of us are old enough to remember Herb Myerson being interviewed by the Obiter Dicta in 2007!

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Malicious Prosecutor said:

Don't you see? OP would much prefer 0L and 1L students give each other advice on law school admissions based on stats derived from sample sizes no bigger than 40. Law students are especially trustworthy when it comes to discussing what practice is like. Once you've shadowed one lawyer for a day you've shadowed them all, am I right?

Everyone on this site who already has a law degree and continues to post is merely clogging it up and not providing anything of value. Current law students are the only people allowed to waste time. Mods should delete all accounts 3 years after the account has posted in an "Accepted" thread.

31 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

Don't you see? OP would much prefer 0L and 1L students give each other advice on law school admissions based on stats derived from sample sizes no bigger than 40. Law students are especially trustworthy when it comes to discussing what practice is like. Once you've shadowed one lawyer for a day you've shadowed them all, am I right?

Everyone on this site who already has a law degree and continues to post is merely clogging it up and not providing anything of value. Current law students are the only people allowed to waste time. Mods should delete all accounts 3 years after the account has posted in an "Accepted" thread.

To be fair I pretty much stay away from the Applicants sections for exactly that reason - my experience applying to law school 20+ years ago really just isn't relevant any more.  Occasionally I'll pop in to just give some perspective and talk people down from ledges, but yeah no use coming to me to ask what your chance of being accepted is.

• Like 2

I really enjoy talking with people of generally the same education level. During early COVID is when I noticed this the most. People were curious, asking important questions, dispelling myths, reading real scientific studies, and just generally having good educated conversations. This isn't always (or often) the case on reddit. 

• Like 1