TheGeneral

Long Term Posters Why do you Post?

Posted (edited)

Ok, so I came to this site by accident when looking for some info on various Canadian law schools.  However, I must say,  I am not sure this site serves much of a useful purpose, and is nothing more than another internet reddit discussion board on the rather mundane subject of law school admissions/how to become a lawyer.  

Which leads me to questions for long term posters:

1.  Why do you post here?  What are your motivations?  There are users on here who have posted nearly every day, for a decade.  Why?  

2.  The average typing speed is 40 WPM.  Some posts/responses have exceeded 500 words.  So that's nearly 13 minutes of your day for replying/responding to one post, -not including reading it or other threads.  Furthermore, some of you have more than one post/reply per day.   Also, as aforementioned, some of you post/reply everyday for 7 days a week.  So that's 1.5 hours per week minimum, and about 78 hours per year.  So essentially three full days on this website per year, or 780 hours per decade which equates to more than a month of your life you will never get back.  Why?

3.  Don't you get bored with the same topic and the same questions like "Chances", or "Grades"?

4.  How come you don't use the time you use on this website to spend with your family, friends, your work, or hobbies?

I am sure I will hear responses like you are doing a public service, educating the public, etc, but this makes no sense.  Why not?  Simply because lawyers or law students can do this better with other avenues, such as legal clinics, or educational seminars.  

Time is precious friends.  Every minute that goes by is a minute you will not get back.  The average age of death in Canada is 82.25 years.  Why waste time on this website?

Edited by TheGeneral
  • Like 1
  • Haha 11
  • Confused 3

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Judicatum said:

Ok, so I came to this site by accident when looking for some info on various Canadian law schools.  However, I must say,  I am not sure this site serves much of a useful purpose, and is nothing more than another internet reddit discussion board on the rather mundane subject of law school admissions/how to become a lawyer.  

Which leads me to questions for long term posters:

1.  Why do you post here? Because I enjoy conversations about the legal profession and legal education. We have folks from all over Canada (and some in the US) from various backgrounds weighing in.  What are your motivations? At this point, mainly entertainment and to potentially contribute back - I did get help on this forum in the past.  There are users on here who have posted nearly every day, for a decade.  Why?  I definitely haven't been posting every day, but I've been on the forum for over a decade. From applicant to lawyer. Answer is because I like it and I might be able to contribute something useful. 

2.  The average typing speed is 40 WPM.  Some posts/responses have exceeded 500 words.  So that's nearly 13 minutes of your day for replying/responding to one post, -not including reading it or other threads.  Furthermore, some of you have more than one post/reply per day.   Also, as aforementioned, some of you post/reply everyday for 7 days a week.  So that's 1.5 hours per week minimum, and about 78 hours per year.  So essentially three full days on this website per year, or 780 hours per decade which equates to more than a month of your life you will never get back.  Why? I haven't quantified it, but I'll admit I spend too much time on the site; it's because I enjoy the site.

3.  Don't you get bored with the same topic and the same questions like "Chances", or "Grades"? Yes. I nearly never really look at those any more. Especially bothersome are the "I think I can get a 170...what are my chances?" I just want to say "fuck off, this is a pointless conversation", and I sometimes do, but not in so many words. 

4.  How come you don't use the time you use on this website to spend with your family, friends, your work, or hobbies? Well, this is a hobby. But I usually check the site when I have down time not committed to those other things - like right now I'm waiting for my partner to come pick me up.

I am sure I will hear responses like you are doing a public service, educating the public, etc, but this makes no sense.  Why not?  Simply because lawyers or law students can do this better with other avenues, such as legal clinics, or educational seminars.  Honestly not sure what this paragraph means or how it connects to the rest of the post. I guess I would just say most lawyers I know volunteer in some capacity or do some kind of pro bono work on top of all the other things they do. 

Time is precious friends.  Every minute that goes by is a minute you will not get back.  The average age of death in Canada is 82.25 years.  Why waste time on this website? Agreed. My partner is almost here. Gotta go.

I'll take the bait. Answers in bold above.

Edited by conge
  • Like 5

If some users have posted on this website for longer than a decade, then this website precedes Reddit. 

P.S. I can't speak for others, but for me this website has been very useful. 

• Like 3

Well I am glad not everyone thinks like OP because this site has helped me in many ways and I probably would've been at a UK school dropping my parents' hard earned $$$ if it wasn't for kind posters on this site. :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Judicatum said:

1.  Why do you post here?  What are your motivations?  There are users on here who have posted nearly every day, for a decade.  Why?

Why not?

51 minutes ago, Judicatum said:

2.  The average typing speed is 40 WPM.

I would hope the average law student/lawyer has a faster typing speed than that. I can't see how you can get anything done otherwise. Mine is usually around 100, sometimes more. I would wager that most university students these days have pretty fast typing speeds.

52 minutes ago, Judicatum said:

3.  Don't you get bored with the same topic and the same questions like "Chances", or "Grades"?

Yes, which is why I rarely answer them unless they're unique.

53 minutes ago, Judicatum said:

4.  How come you don't use the time you use on this website to spend with your family, friends, your work, or hobbies?

As others have said, this is a hobby. What do you do with your spare time? Probably something equally benign. But as long as it brings personal satisfaction to you, I don't see the harm.

54 minutes ago, Judicatum said:

Simply because lawyers or law students can do this better with other avenues, such as legal clinics, or educational seminars.

This forum serves applicants and aspiring law students too, who usually don't have those avenues. And sometimes those things, while good, don't give practical advice about the things you want to hear. Also, the pseudoanonymity of this board helps encourage giving useful, plain advice, which is not always beneficial or advisable in real life.

55 minutes ago, Judicatum said:

However, I must say,  I am not sure this site serves much of a useful purpose, and is nothing more than another internet reddit discussion board on the rather mundane subject of law school admissions/how to become a lawyer.  

I'd say it's much more useful than a subreddit. A forum is not a vote board. That alone is a huge difference and better suited for the kinds of discussions we have here.

1 hour ago, Judicatum said:

Time is precious friends.  Every minute that goes by is a minute you will not get back. 

Exactly how I felt reading the OP.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)

This website is the biggest reason why I got into law school. Prospective law students (myself included at the time) have some really bizarre ideas about how the admissions process works, and when you're in that kind of bubble, it's incredibly useful to have a community of knowledgeable people that doesn't sing your praises all the time.  

Edited by Tagger
  • Like 3

OP, am I less pathetic in your eyes if my typing speed is a hell of a lot faster than 40 WPM? Pls respond. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Judicatum said:

1.  Why do you post here?  What are your motivations?  There are users on here who have posted nearly every day, for a decade.  Why?  I like law topics and legalish convos with people versed in the subject. Without actually dealing with lawyers though - we're tiring people. I don't have many lawyer friends IRL and I prefer it that way.

2.  The average typing speed is 40 WPM.  Some posts/responses have exceeded 500 words.  So that's nearly 13 minutes of your day for replying/responding to one post, -not including reading it or other threads.  Furthermore, some of you have more than one post/reply per day.   Also, as aforementioned, some of you post/reply everyday for 7 days a week.  So that's 1.5 hours per week minimum, and about 78 hours per year.  So essentially three full days on this website per year, or 780 hours per decade which equates to more than a month of your life you will never get back.  Why? Totez humblebrag but I type like double that. So, only wasting 1.5 days. Does it still count as waste if I write from the bathroom?

3.  Don't you get bored with the same topic and the same questions like "Chances", or "Grades"? Yes, so I only look there now to make sure that people aren't too douchey or a poorly veiled ad. Sometimes I'll comment if my experience can help. I like mentoring and miss it from my previous job. Lol. Lies. I mine youth lingo so I too can relate to my fellow teens. Forever 21 right!? RIGHT!?

4.  How come you don't use the time you use on this website to spend with your family, friends, your work, or hobbies? OMG can I brag about how amazing my garden is!? I have marigolds EVERYWHERE (grown from seeds), lettuce, tomatoes (several varieties including the superior Roma. Getting my sauce on with the fiancé!) brocally, various beans/peas, sunflowers, peppers (purple pepper not so great but loving my reds!) and more. Always down for gardening tips, thanks for asking!

I am sure I will hear responses like you are doing a public service, educating the public, etc, but this makes no sense.  Why not?  Simply because lawyers or law students can do this better with other avenues, such as legal clinics, or educational seminars.  I'm not educating the public about legal issues. I'm largely chatting with people from different backgrounds, different social and political views, and from all walks of life. I can also be QUEER AF  🌈🏳️‍🌈 and speak of my experiences there. Representation can be tough. Plus, like, online platforms deliver to a larger audience. Digital community, yo!

Time is precious friends.  Every minute that goes by is a minute you will not get back.  The average age of death in Canada is 82.25 years.  Why waste time on this website? Homestar Runner hasn't produced new content in a long time.

strong bad homestar runner GIF

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, artsydork said:

I am still burninating: TROGDOR!!!

• Haha 4

28 minutes ago, artsydork said:

Homestar Runner hasn't produced new content in a long time.

They have some new stuff on YouTube, if by "new" you expand your definition to "2018".

I loved H*R. So sad they faded away.

• Like 1

In addition to the points made by other members, this site gives a lot of students and lawyers perspective on their goals, work, and careers. It can be mentally taxing to weigh all the uncertainties. Asking those who has walked the path can help avoid pitfalls and regrets. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Judicatum said:

Why waste time on this website?

Edited by realpseudonym
  • Like 3

It's not that much time in the overall scheme of things. And I tend to fit it in when I just have a minute or two between tasks, so it's not really time you could repurpose effectively anyways. I'd probably just scroll twitter or facebook instead, and this site has the benefit of not being blocked on my work laptop.

But the student forums do get quite tiresome, so I never ready those. I only follow three forums, where I enjoy chatting with some people I've known around here for a decade or more, and some newer people. I can chat about more arcane legal topics than I can in my normal social circles, where I am mostly shunned for being a lawyer.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 12:22 PM, dtor3 said:

If some users have posted on this website for longer than a decade, then this website precedes Reddit.

The earliest incarnations of this site are from 2003. Lawstudents.ca as it is known and loved by all is officially 15 years old as of last April. 2 months older than Reddit, which I believe was registered June 2005. 

We old. 

• Like 10

1.  This is a complicated answer, but the following suffices:  There are other quality long term posters on here who are way smarter than me, and provide excellent viewpoints I might otherwise not come across.  This website, in many ways, acts as a filter for quality ideas rarely seen elsewhere on the internet -- especially as it pertains to Canada and its legal issues.

2.  I grew up with MSN Messenger and ICQ, and can type consistently at 100-120WPM.  

3.  I don't participate in those discussions, and I don't suspect the longer term posters do either.  I suspect those contributions are more cyclical with those who recently went through the process helping the new applicants.

4.  Balance in everything is important.