Husns

Is 4.5 months enough to re-study for LSAT?

Hey all! I'm beating myself up for not starting LSAT studying earlier. I am aiming to take the Jan 2021 LSAT. Do you think 4.5-5 months is enough time considering that I am re-studying for the test? I was rejected during the previous cycle and would like to raise my score but I have had a really hard time getting back into it. My last score was a 163. Any tips on re-studying? I am thinking of hiring a private tutor this time.

22 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

Aren't you still on wait list somewhere?  (OZ and Western?)

Yup I am! Being on waitlists is part of why Ive waited to start studying again. Now I'm planning for the next cycle. I also plan on getting in touch with the schools for feedback.

You have a good LSAT (163) Your GPA is 3.33(?) and B2 3.68?

There is still hope for this cycle...

If you have to re-write the LSAT, I suggest you hire a tutor. You may need 168 to 170 to make a significant edge.

Your LSAT was higher than mine.

Which schools are you thinking of applying ?

Note: I didn’t research your posting history, so this is generic advice.

Keep in mind that there is more than one way to improve your file, depending on which schools you want to apply to. 163 is a solid LSAT for many Canadian schools, even if your cGPA is below the median.

1. Caution: be aware that some schools average your LSAT scores, which could harm your stats if you get a lower score next time.

2. If money isn’t too much of an issue, you could consider enrolling in a few courses if it would significantly improve your L2 (cGPA would, honestly, be negligible, and remember that some schools are B2 vs L2/L60).

3. You could consider refining your PS to tell a more compelling and/or refined story.

I’m sure there are other strategies, but they really depend on your strengths vs weaknesses and the admissions criteria of the schools you want to apply to.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, TimTheEnchanter said:

1. Caution: be aware that some schools average your LSAT scores, which could harm your stats if you get a lower score next time. 

Side note: if I'm not mistaken, is it only uAlberta in Canada that averages LSAT scores?

17 minutes ago, castlepie said:

Side note: if I'm not mistaken, is it only uAlberta in Canada that averages LSAT scores?

Good question. I honestly don’t know the answer, and I’m afraid I’m too lazy to research it 😬

Edit: I know some people who made a pretty bad-ass spreadsheet of each school’s admissions criteria to analyze against their strengths/weaknesses. Great way to keep all your research, analysis, and strategizing in one place.

Edited by TimTheEnchanter
Additional thoughts

I think the one school I'm targeting that averages scores is McGill, and I'm already not really competitive there so it's not a huge concern for me. I definitely agree with everyone's suggestions regarding improving other aspects of my application but I feel like not trying to give myself an edge through the LSAT would be a missed opportunity! (especially with work from home and more time to study)

Last time I applied, I worked on my personal statement with a close academic advisor at my University, and I personally loved the story I told through my ps. This time I'm considering hiring a private advisor. I'm not really sure who to reach out to for help regarding my personal statement, and I don't know how much to change it.

Are you sure your L2 is right? I would think that with that L2 and LSAT you'd be a strong contender for Queens, Western, and Dal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sambo1261 said:

Are you sure your L2 is right? I would think that with that L2 and LSAT you'd be a strong contender for Queens, Western, and Dal.

My L2 is about 3.45 my B2 is 3.67. Surprisingly I was wait listed at Western which looks at L2 and outright rejected by Queen's which looks at B2. I didn't apply to Dal though!

Have you applied out West? I’m sure U of C would love you. They tend to take high lsat scorers and median for GPA 

• Like 1