Esco455

Taking a course at a different faculty

I was wondering if anyone has any advice or experience with taking a course at a different faculty of law? I'm at UNB, which has a pretty comprehensive commercial/IP program, but I'm specifically looking at taking an entertainment & sport law course which UNB does not offer.

Have you considered doing a letter of permission? You could spend a semester at another law school this way.

I did this to spend my final year of law school at UBC, partly because they had a better tax program. It is relatively uncommon so there are a few hoops to jump through and was a competitive process to apply. 

4 minutes ago, Mal said:

Have you considered doing a letter of permission? You could spend a semester at another law school this way.

I did this to spend my final year of law school at UBC, partly because they had a better tax program. It is relatively uncommon so there are a few hoops to jump through and was a competitive process to apply. 

Yeah, absent a pre-existing arrangement between the schools (such as the one osgoode and u of t have) an LOP is likely your best bet, OP. 

Note, however, that you usually pay the receiving school’s tuition, not your home institution’s. So if you’re thinking of going to Ontario, it could be pricey. 

1 hour ago, Esco455 said:

specifically looking at taking an entertainment & sport law course which UNB does not offer.

If you do end up doing a LoP, I recommend considering UBC/U of T/TRU (surprise!). UBC and TRU share a prof that teaches entertainment law/video game law/digital media law/communications law, so they're the exact same in that regard (but UBC is half the price of tuition). TRU also has two profs that teach two different sports law classes, one focused on sports leagues, governance, and anti-doping, the other with more of a focus on adventure/extreme sports and liability.

Hit me up if you have questions. I took entertainment law, video game law, and sports law 1 & 2 at TRU, and created the sports & entertainment law club there.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, canuckfanatic said:

UBC and TRU share a prof that teaches entertainment law/video game law/digital media law/communications law

Festinger? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Tagger said:

Festinger? 

You know it. Dude flew into Kamloops every Thursday morning and flew home the same night. I don't know how he did it, except for the fact that he had a a Monster/venti Starbucks/XL Tim Horton's coffee every time I saw him.

Edited by canuckfanatic
  • Like 2