SELIM

Working in 1L 5hrs/wk

I have this great opportunity to work up to 5 hours every Saturday on local radio (usually 2-3 hours), but I'm starting 1L next month. I can build a lot of ties in the community which will be very useful to me as a lawyer. It's not a demanding or stressful job. Does anyone have any experience holding a job while in law school ? Thoughts on managing 5 hours a week while in school...

Other posts here suggest that while it's not recommended to work 1L, it's certainly manageable if it's under 10hr/week and you know you can handle it/have experience working during school already. Might give you a nice 'break' from school-work. Plus, some do work 1L because they absolutely have to anyway, so it's not unheard of.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SELIM said:

I have this great opportunity to work up to 5 hours every Saturday on local radio (usually 2-3 hours), but I'm starting 1L next month. I can build a lot of ties in the community which will be very useful to me as a lawyer. It's not a demanding or stressful job. Does anyone have any experience holding a job while in law school ? Thoughts on managing 5 hours a week while in school...

Yeah you can definitely do that. 3 hours on Saturday mornings is like... less time than most 1Ls spend hungover in bed on Saturdays. You’ll be fine 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I wish I had had a part time job in 1L. It would have been a welcome distraction. Especially as it's only 5 hours a week I'd say go for it. It's great to have something non-law school related to focus on.

• Like 2

I have no idea why someone would not be able to manage working 5 hours a week in 1L. I mean, really. How much time can people spend studying?

4 hours ago, TheLegendof said:

I have no idea why someone would not be able to manage working 5 hours a week in 1L. I mean, really. How much time can people spend studying?

Lol. Just wait

6 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Lol. Just wait

Wait til what? I finished 1L with excellent grades, a job, and an abundance of spare time.

21 minutes ago, TheLegendof said:

Wait til what? I finished 1L with excellent grades, a job, and an abundance of spare time.

Ah, i thought you were going into 1L. 

I don’t know if you noticed, but many students spend an absolutely insane amount of studying. I never understood why, but it’s absolutely true that many 1Ls couldn’t handle a job and study the amount they want to 

5 hours ago, TheLegendof said:

26 hours a day

Do it. You will be busy but it's not going to be crazy busy. Do something that can allow you to get away from the law, law students and lawyers.

5 hours is more than manageable. Plus, if you didn't have a job, then you should've tried to fill that 5h/week slot with an extracurricular.