DKilloranPowerScore

BREAKING NEWS: October LSAT will be a Flex

LSAC has just announced that the October LSAT will be a Flex exam, both in the US and worldwide!

Most test takers will test on Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, or Thursday during the week of October 3rd. If anyone has any questions about the test format, just let me know. 

Edited by DKilloranPowerScore
  • Like 2

I was actually about to make a post about this. I have so many questions.

1. I am assuming I will be taking this exam at home, correct?

2. If yes to question 1, would the program download to my iMac or MacBook?

3. If yes to question 2, should I use Safari or Google Chrome?

4. I believe I read somewhere that mechanical pencils are allowed, is this correct?

5. There are no breaks given, correct? Not even if someone has to go to the bathroom?

6. Can I have a water in a clear plastic bottle or no?

7. What happens if the program shuts down on me?

8. What if the power randomly goes out, would I be held liable for the time lost? I mean... the power has only ever gone out for a couple of seconds during a heavy thunderstorm here.

9. Does every single item have to be put away from the desk I will be writing on? For example: I have random little items, a clock, some trophies, pictures...

10. How is the test format?

Please do not feel obligated to answer my insane questions lol, I am just really surprised that the LSAT will be a Flex exam.

It's confusing for sure! Let me try to help:

1. Yes, you will be.

2. It will--it's a browser extension of sorts--and LSAC has included Macs in the approved devices. 

3. Safari has had some issues, so I'd use Chrome :)

4. This is correct, and is a newly approved use from just this week. Pens are now also ok!

5. You are correct--no bathroom breaks. some proctors have allowed it, but don't count on it. You do have a 1 minute break at the end of each section though, to mentally reset.

6. Yes.

7. You end up calling ProctorU, and for many people, this is where they run into issues. We've talked about this multiple times on our podcast, but one tip is don't close the program or disconnect if you can help it while there's an issue.

8. There is now a pausing feature in the software if there's an issue like this to avoid lost time. But, you likely lose some time when this occurs.

9. They really don't want to see things like this on the desk, and I know that some proctors will force you to remove all those items. Better to do it beforehand!

10. three sections, back-to-back-to-back, one section of each type, 35 minutes for each section.

Hopefully that covers it but let me know if anything above isn't clear. Thanks!

Edited by DKilloranPowerScore
  • Like 3

Oh god my score is going to suffer. I was banking on writing it in an exam environment, as my home is chaotic... My cats are always doing something they're not supposed to be doing... Sometimes my dog barges in and scares the cats... If I close my room door, the cats scratch at the carpet until it opens... My mom always yells at me to do something because she assumes that I'm not busy if I'm home... Anyone have advice on where I should go to take my exam? Although I feel like taking it on my laptop would be awful... 

Also found this FAQ.

I have a question..

"Devices that cannot be in the room during LSAT-Flex include timers of any kind, electronic cigarettes, fitness-tracking devices, digital watches, calculator watches, chronograph watches (digital or nondigital), beepers, pagers, personal digital assistants (PDAs), calculators, cameras, recording devices, listening devices (including, but not limited to, headphones, ear buds, air pods, and other electronic listening devices and/or noise-cancelling devices other than generic foam ear plugs), headsets, and iPods and other media players. Please note that tablets, laptops, personal computers, or any other electronic device not being used to take the test are prohibited."

I was considering going to someone else's house to take the exam and use their bedroom, and they just go to the living room or something, but their computer setup is in there. I would take my own computer to their house but it's not like I can dismantle an elaborate computer setup. I suppose I could download ProctorU on their computer, but I just wish I'd be able to use my own... By "electronic device" does this include a TV?! Where the heck am I supposed to go... 

Edited by castlepie
clarification

4 minutes ago, DKilloranPowerScore said:

4. This is correct, and is a newly approved use from just this week. Pens are now also ok!

Yay pens!!

Edited by castlepie

6 minutes ago, castlepie said:

I was considering going to someone else's house to take the exam and use their bedroom, and they just go to the living room or something, but their computer setup is in there. I would take my own computer to their house but it's not like I can dismantle an elaborate computer setup. I suppose I could download ProctorU on their computer, but I just wish I'd be able to use my own... By "electronic device" does this include a TV?! Where the heck am I supposed to go... 

You'd likely run into an issue with another computer in the room. However, I've seen many people have TVs in the room and not have an issue. Their big fear here is cheating, and having devices that can listen or view your screen is what they are trying to stop. And, to be honest, the proctors really vary in rule enforcement, so one person might get away with something that another person is stopped for doing!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, castlepie said:

"Devices that cannot be in the room during LSAT-Flex include timers of any kind, electronic cigarettes, fitness-tracking devices, digital watches, calculator watches, chronograph watches (digital or nondigital), beepers, pagers, personal digital assistants (PDAs), calculators, cameras, recording devices, listening devices (including, but not limited to, headphones, ear buds, air pods, and other electronic listening devices and/or noise-cancelling devices other than generic foam ear plugs), headsets, and iPods and other media players. Please note that tablets, laptops, personal computers, or any other electronic device not being used to take the test are prohibited."

I was considering going to someone else's house to take the exam and use their bedroom, and they just go to the living room or something, but their computer setup is in there. I would take my own computer to their house but it's not like I can dismantle an elaborate computer setup. So I can't go to their house to take it? By "electronic device" does this include a TV?! Where the heck am I supposed to go... 

I like that you have said this because my iMac is on the desk and I would rather do the exam on my MacBook. But now I can't do that because I would then have to get rid of the iMac. 

From what you have quoted off of the website, I would assume that no other electronics can be present where you are writing the exam. So, by default, I would be doing the exam on my iMac.

Is there office space you could use for this exam? That might be a stretch but I am thinking of places of where you could possibly do the exam since your household sounds as noisy as mine. Are there private spaces at the library that can be booked or even classrooms at the university? I know that in the city I live in, universities were always offering space for students to study but those spaces would be need to be booked in advance.

18 minutes ago, DKilloranPowerScore said:

It's confusing for sure! Let me try to help:

1. Yes, you will be.

2. It will--it's a browser extension of sorts--and LSAC has included Macs in the approved devices. 

5. You are correct--no bathroom breaks. some proctors have allowed it, but don't count on it. You do have a 1 minute break at the end of each section though, to mentally reset.

6. Yes.

7. You end up calling ProctorU, and for many people, this is where they run into issues. We've talked about this multiple times on our podcast, but one tip is don't close the program or disconnect if you can help it while there's an issue.

8. There is now a pausing feature in the software if there's an issue like this to avoid lost time. But, you likely lose some time when this occurs.

9. They really don't want to see things like this on the desk, and I know that some proctors will force you to remove all those items. Better to do it beforehand!

10. three sections, back-to-back-to-back, one section of each type, 35 minutes for each section.

Hopefully that covers it but let me know if anything above isn't clear. Thanks!

Thank you for being so kind! I think I'll just continuing doing practice tests and studying so I get used to my environment of where I will be taking the test.

Out of curiosity, where can I find your podcast? 

12 minutes ago, SimmmiSS said:

I like that you have said this because my iMac is on the desk and I would rather do the exam on my MacBook. But now I can't do that because I would then have to get rid of the iMac. 

From what you have quoted off of the website, I would assume that no other electronics can be present where you are writing the exam. So, by default, I would be doing the exam on my iMac.

Is there office space you could use for this exam? That might be a stretch but I am thinking of places of where you could possibly do the exam since your household sounds as noisy as mine. Are there private spaces at the library that can be booked or even classrooms at the university? I know that in the city I live in, universities were always offering space for students to study but those spaces would be need to be booked in advance.

I was thinking about that too, even booking a hotel room. But then I thought about the wifi issue - I know the libraries and hotels have notoriously awful wifi. The public libraries have closed the meeting rooms, too. There are bookable rooms at my university's libraries, but the wifi is usually spotty at best. Fine for browsing, but streaming (and presumably proctoring) I presume I would run into issues. Although, I don't think I can do this either as my university has closed the libraries, and I don't see why they would open in September seeing as we're fully online for the term anyway. Eek. Thanks for the input though... :)

Edited by castlepie

Just now, castlepie said:

I was thinking about that too, even booking a hotel room. But then I thought about the wifi issue - I know the libraries and hotels have notoriously awful wifi. The public libraries have actually closed the meeting rooms, too. Actually, there are bookable rooms at my university's libraries, but the wifi is usually spotty at best. Fine for browsing, but streaming (and presumably proctoring) I would run into issues. Although, I don't think I can do this either as my university has closed the libraries, and I don't see why they would open in September seeing as we're fully online for the term anyway. Eek. Thanks for the input though... :)

Is there anyway to call you service provider for your cellphone and ask them to increase your data for just a day? That way, you could use your phone as your hotspot and literally do the exam anywhere. That would maybe cost around $10 and if you do book a hotel room cheap or even get an Airbnb for a day (hopefully you can explain your situation)- you're practically golden.

Is there a breakdown of how the score will be calculated using just the three sections? Also is there not the experimental section? So 4 sections back to back?

1 hour ago, JasG33 said:

Is there a breakdown of how the score will be calculated using just the three sections? Also is there not the experimental section? So 4 sections back to back?

It's an unusual setup for the Flex, and it's three total sections back to back, not four. So, no Experimental section and only one LR instead of two. 

The score is still on the 120-180 scale, but the conversion scale is adjusted down to account for the roughly 75 total questions in each Flex test (instead of the usual 1001 or so). Closest idea of scales would be from this webinar, at the 1:22:53 mark: https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/crystal-ball-webinar-the-lsat-flex-tests/. Because they have to adjust for difficulty, each Flex scale will look a bit different, so we show some examples there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2020 at 5:26 PM, DKilloranPowerScore said:

Are we required to download anything to run the exam? Is there a way to test this ahead of time? 

1 hour ago, careerswitcher said:

Are we required to download anything to run the exam? Is there a way to test this ahead of time? 

Yes. You'll receive an email a couple of weeks before the exam detailing everything. I called LSAC and asked about this yesterday.

21 hours ago, careerswitcher said:

You can download the proctorU Chrome extension ahead of time. Actually it is a good idea to check your setup (browser - camera -mic -connection - computer) ahead of time and receive a green light that it is OK. 

https://support.proctoru.com/hc/en-us/articles/115011772748-Equipment-Requirements

On 8/18/2020 at 6:16 PM, JasG33 said:

3 sections back to back. My guess is that they are trying to eliminate the need for a bathroom break, which, in their view, might increase the chance of cheating.  

On 8/18/2020 at 5:26 PM, DKilloranPowerScore said:

+1. I had a ton of issues with Safari (which otherwise is my browser of choice) so I had to use Chrome. 

On 8/18/2020 at 5:50 PM, castlepie said:

I was thinking about that too, even booking a hotel room. But then I thought about the wifi issue - I know the libraries and hotels have notoriously awful wifi. The public libraries have closed the meeting rooms, too. There are bookable rooms at my university's libraries, but the wifi is usually spotty at best. Fine for browsing, but streaming (and presumably proctoring) I presume I would run into issues. Although, I don't think I can do this either as my university has closed the libraries, and I don't see why they would open in September seeing as we're fully online for the term anyway. Eek. Thanks for the input though... :)

There was somebody who said they scheduled their exam in a hotel room at 10 a.m and then a wedding party started at 11 ... So be careful, might be worse than dogs and cats :) 

5 hours ago, dtor3 said:

There was somebody who said they scheduled their exam in a hotel room at 10 a.m and then a wedding party started at 11 ... So be careful, might be worse than dogs and cats :)

It's a little more involved than my pets just being annoying, so I will welcome any hotel situation so long as wifi cooperates 🤣