talos

Hourly wage for 3L at small firm?

Hey guys,

I’ve got an opportunity to work part time during my 3L year at a small firm in Toronto. Future boss says she’d like to docket my time, help her draft letters, and assist the other lawyers with various administrative and legal/research work. I’ll prob work 20 hours a week. 

What do you think is a reasonable hourly wage to ask for? Does anyone have any info about wages paid to them or others in similar scenarios? Trying to get an idea of a fair market rate.

Thanks a lot of your help.

Anywhere between less than minimum wage (aka, flat fee) to 20-25/hour. Small firm is tough to say - is it a legal aid firm? A highly successful small boutique firm? Somewhere in between?

• Like 1

I think I was paid $25 an hour working for a solo practitioner (family law) back in law school.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, artsydork said:

Anywhere between less than minimum wage (aka, flat fee) to 20-25/hour. Small firm is tough to say - is it a legal aid firm? A highly successful small boutique firm? Somewhere in between?

It’s a fairly successful family law firm. Managing partner has been practicing for 25 years in Mississauga/Toronto. In my head I’m gunning for 20 an hour. Not that age is a huge factor, but I’m almost 30 and I’ve worked in an office and a law firm before going to law school.

Not sure how much that will really matter, but your response makes me more confident asking for at least 18-20 and falling back from there. I really just wanted to see if minimum wage was the standard across the board for students working while still in law school. 

edit: edited to say I’m almost 30, not almost 3 lol 

Edited by talos

4 minutes ago, Amorfati1 said:

I think I was paid $25 an hour working for a solo practitioner (family law) back in law school.

Wow that’s great news. Maybe I’ll ask for $25 then and work back from there. Might as well, can’t hurt to ask. 

She's unlikely to withdraw her offer because you ask for $25. I say go for it and if you get offered less, than so be it.

• Like 2

As a rough (very rough) guide, every $5/hour is equivalent to 10k per year in a salary, assuming full time hours. So $25 hourly puts you earning as 50k yearly.

I was paid $20/hour to draft wills for a small firm in the interior of BC during the school year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lawstudent20202020 said:

As a rough (very rough) guide, every $5/hour is equivalent to 10k per year in a salary, assuming full time hours. So $25 hourly puts you earning as 50k yearly.

I was paid $20/hour to draft wills for a small firm in the interior of BC during the school year.

Interesting, that’s a very helpful heuristic. $50k yearly for a 3L seems a bit high, but considering I’ll be part time (20 vs 40 hours a week) I think framing it as a 25K annual expense for her firm makes it an easier sell on my part. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Psychometronic said:

Is it normal practice for small firms to ask the student to put down a number? 

Thats how it was for me, as well as my other friends that work at smaller firms.

I was paid $20.00 an hour to work part-time and remotely for a start-up doing legal research, reviewing contracts, and other things related to that during 3L.