SadNWO

Overstretching references?

With the 2021 cycle starting I've lined up a few academic references from my undergrad who are willling to vouch for me.

My concern is that if I apply broadly (schools in multiple provinces) it will require my references to fill out too many of these reference forms. 

I suppose what I'm asking is, how much effort is it to for references to provide information to multiple schools? Is it asking too much of them if I'm applying broadly? Should I have another set of references lined up? 

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Ontario schools require OLSAS, which allows the reference letters for all schools applied in Ontario to be sent from one place. There's also a questionnaire that has to be filled out. The other schools that require reference letters (Dal, TRU) are straightforward, the reference letters can be emailed for the majority of the schools directly from the person writing the reference letter. Calgary is similar to OLSAS. I am not sure about how McGill does theirs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SadNWO said:

With the 2021 cycle starting I've lined up a few academic references from my undergrad who are willling to vouch for me.

My concern is that if I apply broadly (schools in multiple provinces) it will require my references to fill out too many of these reference forms. 

I suppose what I'm asking is, how much effort is it to for references to provide information to multiple schools? Is it asking too much of them if I'm applying broadly? Should I have another set of references lined up? 

Any advice would be much appreciated!

I applied broadly, to 10 schools in total. My references only had to submit once (electronically). The reason is because many schools do not require references from regular category applicants and OLSAS centralizes references for all Ontario schools at once. UBC, UVIC, UofA, etc don't care for them. 

• Thanks 1

I really doubt your references will care about you applying broadly! 

They are undergrad professors, I assure you they are more than used to filling out reference forms for their students, its just part of the job. 

It also really isn't that much more work to send the reference letter to a few more schools. The most effortful part is actually writing the letter of recommendation, which they have to do whether you apply to 1 school or 12. Then all they have to do is tweak it a bit (if they even do that) and send it out to other schools. Keep in mind that the Ontario schools all use one system so I believe they would only have to upload your LOR once total for all Ontario schools, and that there are schools where you don't need an LOR at all (if applying in the regular category), like UBC and UVic!