Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to come on here and ask about what my chances of admission realistically are. I'm going into my fourth year of business at the University of Alberta and my LSAT score is 163 (planning to write again in October), my cGPA as of right now (with drops, not confirmed) is 84.10% (3.92/4.33) and I have quite a few softs/EC (lots of debate, case competitions, TA for a first-year Business Class, volunteered at Elizabeth Fry, executive of multiple clubs, etc). 

UBC is my dream school and while I do plan to re-do my LSAT since it's lower than the median grade, I just wanted to check and see if my chances of admission are out the window without a higher LSAT score or if I might still have a chance even with the 163. Thank you all so much!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UBC doesn't look at ECs or softs at all unless you apply through discretionary, but I know someone in my year who got in with the same stats:

If you want to err on the side of caution I'd aim for 3 points higher to get above the autoadmit threshold.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much! That totally makes sense. I am just wondering though because I know I can talk about things in my personal statement and they do consider that more now as well, do you think I'd still have a shot potentially?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, sadisticsad said:

Thank you so much! That totally makes sense. I am just wondering though because I know I can talk about things in my personal statement and they do consider that more now as well, do you think I'd still have a shot potentially?

You definitely have a shot, but it's worth noting that rather than being assessed on your ECs your PS is assessed based on how well you can answer the three preset questions.  Someone with average to no ECs but better PS responses will probably do better than someone with great ECs but lackluster responses.

If you can get a 166, that together with an 84.1 guarantees that your PS isn't even read and will get you first round admission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sadisticsad said:

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to come on here and ask about what my chances of admission realistically are. I'm going into my fourth year of business at the University of Alberta and my LSAT score is 163 (planning to write again in October), my cGPA as of right now (with drops, not confirmed) is 84.10% (3.92/4.33) and I have quite a few softs/EC (lots of debate, case competitions, TA for a first-year Business Class, volunteered at Elizabeth Fry, executive of multiple clubs, etc). 

UBC is my dream school and while I do plan to re-do my LSAT since it's lower than the median grade, I just wanted to check and see if my chances of admission are out the window without a higher LSAT score or if I might still have a chance even with the 163. Thank you all so much!!

You have a very good chance. With a 163 Im guessing you'd receive admissions in March but, if you could get a 166 would get admissions in January or earlier. I would be surprised if you didn't get in, many people get in with lower stats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, LawStudentOfCanada said:

You have a very good chance. With a 163 Im guessing you'd receive admissions in March but, if you could get a 166 would get admissions in January or earlier. I would be surprised if you didn't get in, many people get in with lower stats. 

Thank you so much! This definitely makes me feel better because I was panicking after receiving my score since I didn’t think I’d get in. I really appreciate this! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, meandtheboys said:

You definitely have a shot, but it's worth noting that rather than being assessed on your ECs your PS is assessed based on how well you can answer the three preset questions.  Someone with average to no ECs but better PS responses will probably do better than someone with great ECs but lackluster responses.

If you can get a 166, that together with an 84.1 guarantees that your PS isn't even read and will get you first round admission.

That completely makes sense! Thanks for clarifying that and I’ll definitely be sure to try and score the 166 for the October LSAT. Thank you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...