aa12

Best Watches For Law Students/Lawyers

59 minutes ago, Aschenbach said:

Does anyone know if diver's watches are appropriate for lawyers in professional attire or is it too much? 

One of my daily wearers is an SKX009J. I've met a lot of Bay St. lawyers who wear Submariners and Seamasters. If you're looking for daily use, you'll want something with an all black or blue bezel, just matches with more things. 

Edited by whoknows
  • Like 2

Reading through the thread, a few people commented that people will notice what kind of car you drive.

They will - but not in the way you might think (at least as a junior lawyer).  If you roll up in an expensive car it's not that the partners are going to think you have such exquisite taste, but rather that you're being foolish with your money.  You'd be much better off rolling up in a Corolla than a Lexus.  Save the luxury car for once you're more established.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Aschenbach said:

Does anyone know if diver's watches are appropriate for lawyers in professional attire or is it too much? 

I don’t see why not but I would keep it Conservative.

There’s a huge difference between a Steel Submariner and a Ploprof.

My diver is a Marathon GSAR and I don’t think I would wear that with a suit because it’s a bit clunky and sporty. All this to say that it really depends on the watch itself.

Edited by CarletonChonkers
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, conge said:

Has anyone purchased a Brathwait? Specifically looking at this: https://www.brathwait.com/mens/watches/classic/steel/stainless-steel-mesh-strap

I haven’t heard of it before but the price seems reasonable to me for a Swiss quartz. I would do a bit more research on the brand and check for reviews just to be safe though.

As an alternative, this watch reminded me a lot of the Tissot Everytime: https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-ca/shop/tissot-everytime-big-gent-3.html

Tissot is a great swiss brand with good heritage and a reputation for quality. They also have this watch with an automatic movement (my personal preference): https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-ca/shop/t1094071603100.html

Keep an eye out for sales at the Bay, they very often have very good sales on watches including Tissot.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, CarletonChonkers said:

I haven’t heard of it before but the price seems reasonable to me for a Swiss quartz. I would do a bit more research on the brand and check for reviews just to be safe though.

As an alternative, this watch reminded me a lot of the Tissot Everytime: https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-ca/shop/tissot-everytime-big-gent-3.html

Tissot is a great swiss brand with good heritage and a reputation for quality. They also have this watch with an automatic movement (my personal preference): https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-ca/shop/t1094071603100.html

Keep an eye out for sales at the Bay, they very often have very good sales on watches including Tissot.

15 hours ago, Mal said:

I'd rather wear a Timex Fairfield, cheaper and better known brand. 

I like these options. I'm a slim guy, so a big watch stands out. I need something with a low profile. 

• Like 2

I'm active on watch collecting forums - this type of question comes up a lot. Here's my two cents:

Don't spend money on a watch just to have a watch, and don't buy a watch brand just because everyone else has it (see the Rolex Submariner example noted in a previous post). Buy something you like, and if you don't know what you like, then don't buy at all. A good test is that if you can't come up with five reasons why you like a watch then don't buy it (this doesn't include reasons like "it'll make other people think I'm well-off/know what I'm doing" or "i think it's the norm"). When you put it on your wrist, it should bring a smile to your face.

Don't buy from ebay, chrono24, or craigslist (with a few exceptions). There are a lot of frankenwatches of reputable brands (Omega, Rolex, IWC, Tudor, Tag, etc), and of course there are fakes for all of these too. Sometimes people don't know they have a fake/frankenwatch until they open the case and see the wrong movement in it. There are even fakes of watches that are only a few hundred bucks. If you buy online, there are good sites like watchfinder & co (out of the UK) and watchbox. It's more expensive, but you get what you pay for. If you see something you like on chrono24, try and buy from a reputable seller with a few hundred sales (and written reviews).

Typically, for a workplace environment, sport watches are (usually) considered distracting and impractical. They're beautiful and are great casual watches, but their recent popularity in the workplace is usually from people feeling like they need "a nice watch" - so they buy something more "affordable" from a brand like Omega or Rolex. Some sport watches are very expensive, but the Submariner for example is on the lower end of Rolex's offerings (while still being thousands). When people who know watches see sport watches in business settings it's sometimes a sign of someone buying a name, and not thinking beyond what everyone else is doing or thinking of what's practical in a business setting.

For most men, a case size between 36-38mm is ideal - 40mm as maximum. For women there's more choice (34 as a general maximum, but can go as low as 28mm). Try to keep the case width below 13mm. Unless you have big wrists, it'll draw a lot of attention and it won't easily slide under your cuffs. Look at Seiko, Hamilton, and Tissot - try to keep it simple (a date complication at most, you're becoming a lawyer, you don't need to land a plane or go scuba diving with your watch), and limit it to Black/White dials for a first buy. Avoid bezels with a lot of flash or ceramic - these start to verge back into sport watch territory and scuff very easily. Leather straps are considered business formal, metal straps are considered more casual or retro, but some single-tone metal straps are suitable for business settings. Finally, wait until you see something you want, otherwise save your money for a rainy day. 

Something that fits the above description at a reasonable price point is this https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-ca/shop/everytime-gr-a-steel-lea-black-black.html

I currently wear my grandfather's Omega from the 60's - no numbers on the dial, plain bezel, a date complication, and leather strap. It gets compliments from watch collectors, it's presentable and understated, and beautiful. As much as I love watches, I won't buy anything until I can comfortably afford the ones I want. 

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I love to geek out over this stuff. Also big disclaimer, these are some general views from the watch world mixed with my own sentiments. I love sport watches, there's a time and place for them, please don't yell at me or say I'm bashing them. Wear what you like, what keeps time, and doesn't "try hard"

• Like 4

I should add, I wear a Garmin triathlon watch (an aspirational buy to be sure). It is a 935 that looks ok in most circumstances. But since it is different and niche, I have had a few people at recruitment events recognize it and from that launch meaningful conversations. So, as a subtle conversation starter and has been a surprising asset in ways that a traditional watch has not been, no matter how expensive.

31 minutes ago, Leviticus said:

So, as a subtle conversation starter and has been a surprising asset in ways that a traditional watch has not been, no matter how expensive.

I think in this day and age, the average person is way more likely to have knowledge of smart watches (Garmin, Apple Watch, Samsung, Fitbit, etc.) than traditional watches. I've received a lot of positive comments on my old Fitbit Blaze and my current Samsung Active 2.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1