aa12

Best Watches For Law Students/Lawyers

Hi,

I am an incoming 1L male student and was curious to know what kind of watches are preferred among law students/lawyers.

Thanks! 

• Haha 5

56 minutes ago, aa12 said:

Hi,

I am an incoming 1L male student and was curious to know what kind of watches are preferred among law students/lawyers.

Thanks! 

I love using my Apple Watch, only because it’s easier for me to have set reminders, meetings, events etc without having to carry an agenda around some days. It’s great also if you’re expecting calls/messages and are away from your phone. You can send quick messages or have calls through your watch. I think I prefer it because it syncs all my devices. I can use my credit card on my watch too if I need and don’t have it on me. The only downside for me is the battery life. I find I have to charge it every day. 

I know that Fossil makes great smartwatches with almost the exact same features as an Apple Watch but they’re compatible with android phones and they have a more traditional watch appearance, if that’s what you like in a watch. 

I think any form of a smart watch is great! Fitbit watches/trackers work well for any cellular device and if you like being active and on your feet, they’re great for motivating you to keep moving. 

• Like 3

When I was in law school I went to have a few beers with the guys on the rugby team and everyone at the table (except me) was wearing a Rolex Submariner. 

7 minutes ago, Mal said:

When I was in law school I went to have a few beers with the guys on the rugby team and everyone at the table (except me) was wearing a Rolex Submariner. 

The guy I sat next to on the first day of class wore a submariner.

10 hours ago, aa12 said:

what kind of watches are preferred among law students/lawyers

Just to react to what may be a premise of this question: There is no social expectation in the legal industry that you will have a particular kind of watch, or any watch at all.

So buy whatever you like, but if you're thinking "I must have a fancy watch to be taken seriously", no, don't worry about it.

• Like 2

I bought a cheap watch with a brown strap to match my belt for interviews and then never wore it again. Not a watch guy. It was totally unnecessary.

No watch. They cost money, bulk up your wrist, annoyingly tap and click on your desk/table/laptop, beep and vibrate when you don't need them to, and everything is on your smartphone anyway. 

• Like 1

To the OP, you may find this discussion interesting.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mal said:

13 hours ago, Aschenbach said:

The guy I sat next to on the first day of class wore a submariner.

When I worked with lawyers/students that wore Rolexes my practice was to imply the watch was a fake in front of the support staff/ other students and that I had sold it to the wearer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

When I was in 1L a girl I was dating bought me one of those corny quartz Hugo Boss watches from the Bay. It was probably around $300.

Knowing the relationship wasn't going anywhere, that I would never wear such a wack accessory, and that I was taking on debt for law school, I promptly returned it and bought like $300 worth of underwear and socks with the store credit. 

I later bought myself a much better/more tasteful  timepiece as a graduation gift. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

What are some "nice" watches under 1500? A watch that I could wear to networking events, OCIs, interviews, etc. I was looking at Tissot but not sure if that's nice enough. don't want to get anything super expensive until I graduate. 

• Haha 1

I don't think watches are really a thing anymore. Some people wear them, some people don't. Get something you like and will enjoy wearing. I don't think any more than a handful of people would ever notice what type of watch you're wearing.

• Like 1

I couldn’t tell you who does or doesn’t wear a watch at my firm. I may notice if someone has a Garmin because we might have shared interests but that’s about it.

It's a funny thing (and maybe evidence of a strange illness), but I can recognize extremely high-end watches (Royal Oak, etc.) but any watch under, say, $5000 may as well be a Swatch.  If you don't love watches, don't bother.  No one will ever judge you for not having one.  And, if you are a watch enthusiast, you don't need advice from law students dot ca. 

(In fact, I would reckon getting a showy 'budget' watch, such as Quincy's proverbial quartz Hugo Boss, is more likely to make the horophiles roll their eyes than it is to impress anyone else.)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jatthopefullawyer said:

What are some "nice" watches under 1500? A watch that I could wear to networking events, OCIs, interviews, etc. I was looking at Tissot but not sure if that's nice enough. don't want to get anything super expensive until I graduate. 

Noone is going to care if you have a cheaper watch. They are an optional accessory at this point.

Tissots are more than nice enough, 1500 is an absurd amount to spend on a watch just for interviews and networking. Only spend that kind of money if you are a watch person and get some personal enjoyment out of it.

I went through law school with a fossil I liked, nothing fancy. It told time and looked good with my suits.

3 hours ago, jatthopefullawyer said:

I like some of the JDM (Japanese domestic market) Seiko watches. You can get a good one for less than $400 and they are pretty good quality. I have a soft spot for Seiko and Grand Seiko though.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, QuincyWagstaff said:

When I worked with lawyers/students that wore Rolexes my practice was to imply the watch was a fake in front of the support staff/ other students and that I had sold it to the wearer. 

What about a Tudor? Do people make fake Tudors?