StephenToast

Where should I go for constitutional and criminal law?

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, jimmierock said:

Honestly though unless you have lawyers in your family or know people who practice in the area of law you are interested in, what you end up practicing post graduation probably won't be what you wanted to do pre law school. An abnormal amount of people are interested in criminal law and international law pre law school but very few end up doing it. 

This is an asinine take.

In the case of criminal law, that has nothing to do with "having lawyers in the family" or "knowing people." It's simply a matter of the majority of people claiming to be interested in crim law succumbing to the temptations of the BigLaw recruit and concerns about debt. It's not particularly difficult to pursue it if it is indeed a passion and you aren't just a poseur.

As for "international law"...well, the reason hardly anyone pursues that is because it's barely even a real thing, and nobody who goes to law school claiming to want to practice "international law" has any clue what that actually means.

12 minutes ago, jimmierock said:

I see constitutional law being practiced in two contexts: 1) high-stakes litigation, 2) law school professor. Both of which require pretty stellar academic credentials.

Criminal lawyers deal with Charter issues every day.

Edited by CleanHands
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

This is wrong on almost ever level.

OP don't spend 240k USD to go to a t6 US school to practice constitutional or criminal law in Canada.

Please don't.

Their post is so ridiculously off that I'd expect them to be a 0L who knows absolutely nothing about the legal profession, but bizarrely they have had an account since 2012 and they've been telling people to go to HYS since some of their earliest posts here...

What an odd duck.

Just now, jimmierock said:

I am on this forum. We are allowed to disagree.

Sure, but that doesn't mean that all opinions are equally valid. And it would be nice if you actually had some idea of what you were talking about when you decided to give advice to a 0L looking for informed input.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jimmierock said:

I am on this forum. We are allowed to disagree.

Remember when you were here searching for advice to improve your abysmal LSAT score? Would you have appreciated it if you followed the advice of some self proclaimed LSAT expert, only to later discover that they have actually scored a 120? 

That’s the accuracy of your “advice” about legal work in Canada. You have a 120. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jimmierock said:

Maybe I should have toned down my initial post as consider US schools rather than just go. 

Nobody whose goal is to practice criminal law in Canada should even "consider" US schools.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, jimmierock said:

Lol. 1) I didn't claim to be an expert. 2) I think you are trying to use my post history as an attempt to insult me. I'm not insulted. I happily share my initial abysmal LSAT score with anyone that asks. 3) I occasionally visit this forum to answer questions about US law schools and get people to consider it as an option. Maybe I should have toned down my initial post as consider US schools rather than just go. 

“Toned down”? You don’t seem to know that the Charter exists or what it’s used for,  you think very few people actually practise criminal law,  and you don't even understand that being an academic isn’t “practicing law”. That’s only for starters. 

You shouldn’t post outside of the foreign law school and LSAT forums. At all. 

Edited by QuincyWagstaff

2 minutes ago, QuincyWagstaff said:

“Toned down”? You don’t seem to know that the Charter exists or what it’s used for,  you think very few people, and don't even understand that being an academic isn’t “practicing law”. That’s only starters. 

You shouldn’t post outside of the foreign law school and LSAT forums. At all. 

Sure why don't I do that. If you can delete my old posts that would be great. I been meaning to clean up my old internet presence anyways. 

Just now, jimmierock said:

Sure why don't I do that. If you can delete my old posts that would be great. I been meaning to clean up my old internet presence anyways. 

You’re off to a great start. 

14 hours ago, jimmierock said:

There you go - all deleted. I'll go PM a mod to delete our chain.

You know by now that we don't do this. Locking the thread.

No mod deleted your posts so no idea why you put "by request". You did it in the hour limit.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1