Draken

Classic Bay St Drink

Hi all,

I like to mess around with cocktails in my spare time and I've been thinking of making a "Bay Street" themed speciality in line with my summer job 😆

Any thoughts on ingredients or drinks that law students/lawyers around here would associate with Bay Street? Like what base liquor do you think is the most corporate law-ish? Other suggestions? Would love some inspiration to help me centre my efforts :)

Base should be whiskey. Maybe add bitters and smoke. Nothing fizzy or light. Any drops of water should be some ridiculous ingredient like Slovakian Glaciar Tears or something. 

• Like 3

Instead of an umbrella for garnish, consider a tiny pair of golden handcuffs. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 6

19 minutes ago, lawstudent20202020 said:

An old fashioned but people have to go through a competitive lengthy interview process to get one.

old fashioned and while every one can interview, only those who go to prestigious private schools and wear brooks brothers get the job 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Perhaps investigate some spin on the Toronto. It’s so simple though I’m not sure what you’d do.

I call this drink: "Of Counsel"

One cube of sugar muddled with 3 dashes of articling student tears

2.0oz Lagavulin 16

1.0oz Sherry

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, thegoodlaw said:

I call this drink: "Of Counsel"

One cube of sugar muddled with 3 dashes of articling student tears

2.0oz Lagavulin 16

1.0oz Sherry

No articling student sweat? What kind of bay street firm (see: sweat shop) do you run?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, easttowest said:

Perhaps investigate some spin on the Toronto. It’s so simple though I’m not sure what you’d do.

2 oz Spirit of York Rye Whisky (because Toronto)

1/4 oz Fernet-Branca

1/4 oz routine syrup (it's the same thing as simple syrup, but people get offended if you call things simple)

3 dashes blackstrap bitters (because Bay Street lawyers all pulled themselves up by their bootstraps)

Shaken (so as to bruise the liquor the way the egos of those rejected were bruised)

/end trolling

5 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

1/4 oz routine syrup (it's the same thing as simple syrup, but people get offended if you call things simple)

I prefer "exceptional syrup". It's also made of sugar and water, but the water is imported from some town at the foot of the Himalayas and blessed by the local monks. It costs more than the booze you'd put into your drink.

• Like 1

My guess would be a mix of cold office coffee plus a nip of whiskey. Charge an extra $7.50 if you serve it in a Heenan Blaikie mug with some cold foam.

1 hour ago, pzabbythesecond said:

No articling student sweat? What kind of bay street firm (see: sweat shop) do you run?

Was waiting for this. Don’t forget the tears of students as well... 

• Like 1

Any of the great suggestions above (I'm partial to "Of Counsel"), but served out of an extravagant golden cup encrusted with jewels... something along the lines of this😉:

GrailRoom.jpeg?type=vertical

Edited by BarristerSelmy

Whatever it is, make it expensive and serve it with a receipt for "printing." Call it The Disbursement.

• Like 5

An old fashioned made with small batch Demerara sugar syrup, small batch apple bitters, and small batch CC Chronicles #1, served in a miniature stanley cup that says ONE DAY on the side.