GoblinKing

Chances (3.93, 166, unique situation)

I'm looking to get into uOttawa, Dal, Osgoode, and Victoria. I know my stats are strong, but my LORs are weak and my ECs are nothing special (2 years of government work). My major issue is that I've been indecisive in my degree and changed a bunch of times, so I have lots of second year courses and not many third and fourth year courses. I've done about as well in my second year courses as I have in my third and fourth year courses. I also had to take a year's leave from school due to health issues and so I'm planning on just applying to law school with the 93 credits I have completed and graduating with a 3 year general degree. How do you fine people assess my chances? 

7 minutes ago, Tagger said:

You should get in everywhere. 

Really? I'm quite concerned about not having lots of upper year courses. 

9 minutes ago, GoblinKing said:

Really? I'm quite concerned about not having lots of upper year courses. 

Your stats are firmly in auto-admit territory at UVic (and UBC, for that matter) and above median at every school but UofT. I wouldn't worry. 

Edited by Tagger

5 minutes ago, Tagger said:

Your stats are firmly in auto-admit territory at UVic (and UBC, for that matter) and above median at every school but UofT. I wouldn't worry. 

Thanks. I appreciate it. 

This is your second chances thread, and from your post history it seems like you’ve asked some variant of these questions/expressed some variant of these concerns repeatedly.

There’s no law against asking the same question repeatedly, but you’re not going to get any different responses to what you’ve gotten previously: law schools prefer four year degrees and for you to take appropriately-levelled courses, but you’ll probably be fine. 

With that said, I don’t fully agree with @Tagger. Osgoode has a fairly strong bias in favour of four year degree applicants, and the people I know that got in with only three years had much stronger applications than yours. With weak LORs, I would put the odds of an Oz acceptance at ~50%.

All of that said, why don’t you try to finish your degree next year? You’ll be spending the year applying to law school anyways, and if law is your ultimate goal then completing another year with strong grades would be a good insurance policy in case the schools don’t accept you. Particularly since the only real reason I think you would be rejected is because of your three year degree. 

• Like 1

I've seen a couple of threads by users who were in similar situations (like this one), and most of them were accepted to Osgoode. It's no secret that Osgoode favours four-year degree applicants, but I'd say it's still worth it to apply with a three-year degree. 

(1) your situation is not unique and (2) I don't know where you'll get in, but I'm very confident that you will be admitted to at least one of the schools on your list.

Edited by conge

5 hours ago, GoblinKing said:

I'm looking to get into uOttawa, Dal, Osgoode, and Victoria. I know my stats are strong, but my LORs are weak and my ECs are nothing special (2 years of government work). My major issue is that I've been indecisive in my degree and changed a bunch of times, so I have lots of second year courses and not many third and fourth year courses. I've done about as well in my second year courses as I have in my third and fourth year courses. I also had to take a year's leave from school due to health issues and so I'm planning on just applying to law school with the 93 credits I have completed and graduating with a 3 year general degree. How do you fine people assess my chances? 

3.96 per OLSAS converted? When did you get 166? 

13 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

This is your second chances thread, and from your post history it seems like you’ve asked some variant of these questions/expressed some variant of these concerns repeatedly.

I suppose I have asked these questions before, but in a piecemeal sort of fashion and wanted to get opinions on my application as a whole. That said, it would probably have been best to make this post my first one. 

All of that said, why don’t you try to finish your degree next year? You’ll be spending the year applying to law school anyways, and if law is your ultimate goal then completing another year with strong grades would be a good insurance policy in case the schools don’t accept you. Particularly since the only real reason I think you would be rejected is because of your three year degree. 

Normally I would, but I got a job offer that would substantially reduce the amount of debt I would have to take on for law school. 

8 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

3.96 per OLSAS converted? When did you get 166? 

3.93 per OLSAS converted. I wrote the LSAT in December 2019. 

24 minutes ago, GoblinKing said:

Normally I would, but I got a job offer that would substantially reduce the amount of debt I would have to take on for law school. 

Is there any option for you to do your undergrad online? Most schools are going online this year. This might seem difficult, but considering your GPA as of right now, I think you will be fine. You can manage working and going to school in undergrad with good time management. Definitely an avenue to consider if you can. 

Edited by jatthopefullawyer

48 minutes ago, jatthopefullawyer said:

Is there any option for you to do your undergrad online? Most schools are going online this year. This might seem difficult, but considering your GPA as of right now, I think you will be fine. You can manage working and going to school in undergrad with good time management. Definitely an avenue to consider if you can. 

That's certainly an option to consider. 

3 hours ago, GoblinKing said:

3.93 per OLSAS converted. I wrote the LSAT in December 2019. 

Don't worry about your LOC and EC. You should be fine