Jump to content
GoblinKing

Chances (3.93, 166, unique situation)

Recommended Posts

I'm looking to get into uOttawa, Dal, Osgoode, and Victoria. I know my stats are strong, but my LORs are weak and my ECs are nothing special (2 years of government work). My major issue is that I've been indecisive in my degree and changed a bunch of times, so I have lots of second year courses and not many third and fourth year courses. I've done about as well in my second year courses as I have in my third and fourth year courses. I also had to take a year's leave from school due to health issues and so I'm planning on just applying to law school with the 93 credits I have completed and graduating with a 3 year general degree. How do you fine people assess my chances? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tagger said:

You should get in everywhere. 

Really? I'm quite concerned about not having lots of upper year courses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GoblinKing said:

Really? I'm quite concerned about not having lots of upper year courses. 

Your stats are firmly in auto-admit territory at UVic (and UBC, for that matter) and above median at every school but UofT. I wouldn't worry. 

Edited by Tagger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tagger said:

Your stats are firmly in auto-admit territory at UVic (and UBC, for that matter) and above median at every school but UofT. I wouldn't worry. 

Thanks. I appreciate it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is your second chances thread, and from your post history it seems like you’ve asked some variant of these questions/expressed some variant of these concerns repeatedly.

There’s no law against asking the same question repeatedly, but you’re not going to get any different responses to what you’ve gotten previously: law schools prefer four year degrees and for you to take appropriately-levelled courses, but you’ll probably be fine. 

With that said, I don’t fully agree with @Tagger. Osgoode has a fairly strong bias in favour of four year degree applicants, and the people I know that got in with only three years had much stronger applications than yours. With weak LORs, I would put the odds of an Oz acceptance at ~50%.

All of that said, why don’t you try to finish your degree next year? You’ll be spending the year applying to law school anyways, and if law is your ultimate goal then completing another year with strong grades would be a good insurance policy in case the schools don’t accept you. Particularly since the only real reason I think you would be rejected is because of your three year degree. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen a couple of threads by users who were in similar situations (like this one), and most of them were accepted to Osgoode. It's no secret that Osgoode favours four-year degree applicants, but I'd say it's still worth it to apply with a three-year degree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(1) your situation is not unique and (2) I don't know where you'll get in, but I'm very confident that you will be admitted to at least one of the schools on your list.

Edited by conge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GoblinKing said:

I'm looking to get into uOttawa, Dal, Osgoode, and Victoria. I know my stats are strong, but my LORs are weak and my ECs are nothing special (2 years of government work). My major issue is that I've been indecisive in my degree and changed a bunch of times, so I have lots of second year courses and not many third and fourth year courses. I've done about as well in my second year courses as I have in my third and fourth year courses. I also had to take a year's leave from school due to health issues and so I'm planning on just applying to law school with the 93 credits I have completed and graduating with a 3 year general degree. How do you fine people assess my chances? 

3.96 per OLSAS converted? When did you get 166? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

This is your second chances thread, and from your post history it seems like you’ve asked some variant of these questions/expressed some variant of these concerns repeatedly.

 

I suppose I have asked these questions before, but in a piecemeal sort of fashion and wanted to get opinions on my application as a whole. That said, it would probably have been best to make this post my first one. 

 

13 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

All of that said, why don’t you try to finish your degree next year? You’ll be spending the year applying to law school anyways, and if law is your ultimate goal then completing another year with strong grades would be a good insurance policy in case the schools don’t accept you. Particularly since the only real reason I think you would be rejected is because of your three year degree. 

Normally I would, but I got a job offer that would substantially reduce the amount of debt I would have to take on for law school. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

3.96 per OLSAS converted? When did you get 166? 

3.93 per OLSAS converted. I wrote the LSAT in December 2019. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, GoblinKing said:
13 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

 

Normally I would, but I got a job offer that would substantially reduce the amount of debt I would have to take on for law school. 

Is there any option for you to do your undergrad online? Most schools are going online this year. This might seem difficult, but considering your GPA as of right now, I think you will be fine. You can manage working and going to school in undergrad with good time management. Definitely an avenue to consider if you can. 

Edited by jatthopefullawyer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, jatthopefullawyer said:

Is there any option for you to do your undergrad online? Most schools are going online this year. This might seem difficult, but considering your GPA as of right now, I think you will be fine. You can manage working and going to school in undergrad with good time management. Definitely an avenue to consider if you can. 

That's certainly an option to consider. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GoblinKing said:

3.93 per OLSAS converted. I wrote the LSAT in December 2019. 

Don't worry about your LOC and EC. You should be fine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Recent Posts

    • Hello everyone, I hope that this is okay to post in the general thread, apologies if not. Before my current social science degree, I was enrolled in a science program at a separate university. I left the university as a result of mental health. I did not have any grades on my transcript, merely 'LWD' (late withdrawal) and a mark to indicate extenuating circumstances. While I did send a copy of the science transcript to the universities I applied to (Osgoode and Ottawa), I did not explain the situation on a personal statement due to the personal nature of my experience and that I did not feel comfortable discussing it. At the time that I sent my application via OLSAS, I did not think of it much. However, as the cycle progresses, I am beginning to wonder if this is affecting my application. For a numerical context, my stats are 3.80 CGPA, 3.9 L2, and my LSAT is 162. I wonder if there have been others with a similar experience and whether that impacted their application negatively. Congratulations to those who have been accepted thus far!
    • for the ease of everyone's reference, here are the LSO recruitment rules for summer 2021 positions https://lso.ca/becoming-licensed/lawyer-licensing-process/articling-candidates/finding-a-placement/2021-toronto-summer-student-recruitment-procedures  Group A schools:  Dalhousie University Lakehead University McGill University Queen’s University Thompson Rivers University University of Alberta University of Calgary University of British Columbia University of Victoria University of Windsor Western University Group B schools:  Osgoode Hall Law School University of Ottawa University of Toronto Faculty of Law Law Students registered at schools not listed above or not in Group A National Committee of Accreditation (NCA) candidates
    • Je crois qu’il y a déjà un forum à ce sujet dans les années antérieures avec le type de question qui a été posé. Pour ma part, malgré que j’étais une candidate universitaire je n’ai pas eu d’entrevue. Je pensais que c’était à cause de la pandémie, mais je connais des personnes qui étaient dans la même situation que moi et ils ont eu une entrevue.. mystère!  L’entrevue sert généralement à voir si tu "match" avec le moule de l’Uqam, si tu écoutes les nouvelles et si tu as un intérêt social en général.  
    • Accepted via email & OASIS this morning! (Jan 19) GPA 3.62 LSAT 161 Completed Part B. Average softs. Will be accepting!!!!!!!! Can't believe I am making this post!  

×
×
  • Create New...