QuotA

Personal Statement Length?

Hi Everyone, 

I'm working on my PS for Ottawa and can't seem to find a maximum length on their website or anywhere else. Does anyone have this information? Thanks!

I believe the OUAC limit for this past cycle was 8000 characters, but I can't guarantee if it will still be the same for the upcoming cycle.

10 minutes ago, Cheech said:

I believe the OUAC limit for this past cycle was 8000 characters, but I can't guarantee if it will still be the same for the upcoming cycle.

It used to vary by school. 

5 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

It used to vary by school. 

Yes, I meant the OUAC limit for Ottawa strictly. It still definitely varies by school.

If you haven't created an account on OUAC yet, it may be wise to do so. I recall typing out my personal statement, and thinking it was under the maximum characters for a specific school and when I went to copy and paste it into OUAC my p.s. was too long.

17 hours ago, Fian said:

If you haven't created an account on OUAC yet, it may be wise to do so. I recall typing out my personal statement, and thinking it was under the maximum characters for a specific school and when I went to copy and paste it into OUAC my p.s. was too long.

Sorry if this is dumb, but what's OUAC? I've never heard of it

10 minutes ago, QuotA said:

Sorry if this is dumb, but what's OUAC? I've never heard of it

I've looking into it (probably should have done that before asking this question), and I am slightly confused on the difference between this and LSAC. I have had an LSAC account for months, have purchased CAS and I thought that by sending my documents to them they would be able to send my application to Ontario schools. Is this not the case? What part does OUAC play?

16 minutes ago, QuotA said:

I've looking into it (probably should have done that before asking this question), and I am slightly confused on the difference between this and LSAC. I have had an LSAC account for months, have purchased CAS and I thought that by sending my documents to them they would be able to send my application to Ontario schools. Is this not the case? What part does OUAC play?

You apply to Ontario law schools through OLSAS (part of OUAC - https://www.ouac.on.ca/olsas/). As far as I know, the only role that LSAC plays for Canadian students is it's administration of the LSAT. 

You'll need to apply through OLSAS, or the school directly for schools outside of Ontario. I think purchasing CAS was a mistake - I don't think you can use that service to apply to Canadian schools (or, at least, it won't be very helpful).

Edited by WindsorHopeful
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, QuotA said:

The LSAC operates the law school application service for American law schools. In Canada, schools generally run their own application system, meaning you have to apply to each school separately through their own service.

The exception to this is Ontario schools, who run their applications through a centralized service called OLSAS (Ontario Law School Application Service). OLSAS is run by the province's broader centralized university application organization, OUAC (Ontario Universities Application Center). I probably should have referred to it as the "OLSAS limit" rather than "OUAC limit" initially, but people generally understand the terms interchangeably in this context.

Unfortunately the LSAC has no role in the process other than administering the LSAT and transmitting the scores to your schools, which is included in the price of the test. You did not have to purchase any additional packages unless you wanted to apply to American schools.

Edited by Cheech
  • Like 1

@Cheech @WindsorHopeful

Thank you guys for the reply, this is very important information that I somehow have managed to not find out during many months of browsing this forum and doing research. So, to clarify, LSAC is only useful for the LSAT - CAS is not necessary, but my test score will be transfered to the schools I apply to from LSAC. Will this go to OLSAS? Or directly to the school?

After making an OUAC/OLSAS account (to my understanding, they are the same thing?), it seems that there are clear steps to the application process, which I don't seem to be able to complete until September. When the applications open up, and I complete all the steps, and "submit application", I will have applied to my Ontario schools? I guess what I'm trying to get straight is that LSAC has absolutely no part to play in this process except for the LSAT - so I won't have to send transcripts/LOR/etc to LSAC, but instead I only need to upload these things to OLSAS?

Sorry if these questions seem obtuse or ignorant, and again I'm so appreciative that you guys took the time to help me out already.

When you submit your OLSAS application, they will obtain your LSAT score from LSAC and all of the schools you apply to will have access to your LSAT score. You don't have to do anything for this to happen. On OLSAS, you chose which Ontario schools you want to apply to (at an additional cost for each).

OLSAS is just for Ontario schools. All other schools have their own individual application process. OLSAS should open up in September, then application materials are due November 1st. Some other schools start the process a bit earlier.

You will send (/upload) your application materials (transcripts, LOR etc) to OLSAS, and to each individual school you want to apply to outside of Ontario. Any school you apply to will obtain your LSAT score from LSAC without you doing anything. 

I'm happy to answer any other questions you have. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, WindsorHopeful said:

When you submit your OLSAS application, they will obtain your LSAT score from LSAC and all of the schools you apply to will have access to your LSAT score. You don't have to do anything for this to happen. On OLSAS, you chose which Ontario schools you want to apply to (at an additional cost for each).

OLSAS is just for Ontario schools. All other schools have their own individual application process. OLSAS should open up in September, then application materials are due November 1st. Some other schools start the process a bit earlier.

You will send (/upload) your application materials (transcripts, LOR etc) to OLSAS, and to each individual school you want to apply to outside of Ontario. Any school you apply to will obtain your LSAT score from LSAC without you doing anything. 

I'm happy to answer any other questions you have. 

This makes it really clear - thank you so much! I guess my only remaining question is how do I connect my OLSAS and LSAC accounts? Like how will OLSAS, or other non-ontario schools, know what my score is? I'm assuming I provide them with an account number or something? 

Just now, QuotA said:

This makes it really clear - thank you so much! I guess my only remaining question is how do I connect my OLSAS and LSAC accounts? Like how will OLSAS, or other non-ontario schools, know what my score is? I'm assuming I provide them with an account number or something? 

Yep! From what I remember, they ask for your LSAC account number when you sign up for OLSAS and then they just use that to request your score from LSAC.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, WindsorHopeful said:

Yep! From what I remember, they ask for your LSAC account number when you sign up for OLSAS and then they just use that to request your score from LSAC.

OK, that makes sense! Thanks so much for all your help - good luck in your law school journey!! 

• Like 1

Hi everyone! Question, do I need to write a personal statement when applying to University of Ottawa Civil Law? if so, does it need to be in french?