Oneluv

Returning to in-person classes 2021

12 minutes ago, OnlyResident said:

UofT is going to be primarily in-person starting this fall for 1Ls but are also giving students the option to do all classes online if they wish. 

They’re also doing what JimmyMcGill suggested - starting classes earlier, ending them later, and adding classes on Fridays (UofT doesn’t normally have Friday classes) - to add more sections of each course, so that each section can be small enough to allow for adequate distancing.

2 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Nobody knows what is going to happen. It’s not extremely unlikely that low case numbers will continue. It’s entirely possible – South Korea got a handle on it and has avoided a second wave, even while other countries that are ahead of us on the curve experience one (see Japan).

You’re speaking with far too much confidence. Your assumption is a reasonable one, but it’s far from the only reasonable possibility. 

Logically, something can be extremely unlikely and also entirely possible. 

I agree with you, it's entirely possible. 

3 minutes ago, jatthopefullawyer said:

How is UFT able to have in person classes and Osgoode is not? that does not make sense to me. 

They’ve simply decided to take different courses.

Osgoode almost certainly could have in person classes, but they’ve decided not to for the fall semester, likely because they don’t want to have students forced to relocate to Toronto on such short notice. 

• Like 4

Osgoode has been repeatedly telling 1Ls that the winter term will be "primarily online" as well. Sometimes they are a little bit more vague about the details which makes me wonder if they are leaving open the possibility of following U of T's lead (offering the choice to students). Or so I hope.. Does anyone have any insider info on this (or even just a rumour) to allow me to hold on to hope of a somewhat in person winter term?

Right now I am kicking myself for paying Toronto rent for no good reason and growing increasingly annoyed with York's choice to remain 100% closed while essentially every business in the city is back to normal and endless numbers of contractors stream in and out of my building sans-mask.

To add insult to injury, many student's & professors seem very content with the laid back, quasi anonymous format of zoom and I can't shake the thought that they prefer the less intensive learning experience (some profs are really trying their best). The whole thing is really making me bitter and the year has hardly started! 

TL;DR - Osgoode is starting to feel like a bait and switch and I need a positive, but realistic take on the matter to provide a light at the end of the tunnel during 1L.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1