Sponge

Productivity/Organization

Hi everyone! I am a rising 1L and I am trying to get ready for law school online this year. I used the MyHomework app in my undergrad combined with Google Calendar for my schedule, and it worked pretty well, but I was wondering if anyone here has a productivity/organization app that they swear by? Would love to find something new. Thank you 🙂

28 minutes ago, FingersCr0ssed said:

The course syllabus

Was looking more for an app but thanks!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I used Google Calendar for everything. Events, meetings, readings, assignments, etc. It helps to have it all in one place, and it will be even easier this year with no on-campus events to go to.

Edited by NavAcid
  • Like 2

I have nothing technological to add - but I second the whole syllabus for substance. It really helped me understand the structure of the course itself and how all the pieces fit together - a different kind of organization, but a very important one nonetheless! ;) 

• Like 1

Call me old fashioned, but I use a paper planner for everything in 1L and timed my exams using an analog watch with a bezel. I've grown very attached to this cheap $15 Casio watch from using it countless times to practice the LSAT. 

• Like 2

I don't see why you would change anything. Just keep going with what worked for you in undergrad.

• Like 3

I used Google Calendar for my schedule + Google Keep for reminders

I had friends who used physical planners

Just do what you know already works for you. There's nothing about law school that requires changing an already effective organization method.

• Like 1

Not an app, but one thing I'd recommend is being conscious about how you organize your files from the beginning. The course folders in my 1L folder are a mess. Maybe it's partly a product of having done my undergrad a while ago, when there were less electronic resources, but I had way more files than I did in earlier school or work experiences. 

Otherwise, there's definitely something to be said for doing whatever already works for you, but I did switch task organization/planning methods for law school.

Before law school, I hadn't used a paper planner since grade school. But I found it worked well because I had so many different things to do each day, just putting a deadline in a calendar didn't cut it. If I have 1-3 things a day, I'll use one digital calendar, but when I have 8 things for a day, I prefer a planner. Also, whenever things were very busy, it helped me feel calm to know I had time for everything when I scheduled it out.

• Like 1

I also used the MyHomework app all throughout undergrad and plan to use it in law school as well. If you don't have the premium yet, it's $5-$6 and pays for itself over and over with the calendar syncing. When you have some free time, look deeper into the apps setting and check out some of the cool functionality it has. Some of my favourites include, the colour coding for classes, having class times as events in my google calendar, and the "filter by" functionality.

• Like 1