Mydream123

Moving to Kamloops

Hi everyone,

Although school is online completely - I have decided to still move to Kamloops to have no distractions etc. Is anyone else planning to move or is moving as well?

For those who have lived there - any tips?

Thanks,

Try your best to find a place in Sahali (the area the university is in). It's by far the most convenient area to live. Everything you could possibly need/want is within a 3km radius.

If you're bringing a car, you will 1000% need winter tires. The roads are straight up ice during the winter. It's illegal to drive on the highways around Kamloops without tired rated for ice between October and April.

Winters are otherwise considered "mild" by the rest of Canada's standards, but if you're from Vancouver the winter might be tough. Last year temperatures hit -30.

The city uses sand instead of salt on the roads during the winter. This usually means all the slush is super muddy. I spent most of the time wearing water-proof sneakers and leather boots because they're easy to wipe mud off of.

If you're looking for a gym, the best option is the Tournament Capital Centre. It's a rec centre on campus and it's the best facility in the city. Indoor track, basketball courts, pools, hot tubs, sauna, multiple squat racks, free weights, yoga studio, a ton of cardio machines, outdoor track, and multiple sports fields. I think it's $30/month for students.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mydream123 said:

Hi everyone,

Although school is online completely - I have decided to still move to Kamloops to have no distractions etc. Is anyone else planning to move or is moving as well?

For those who have lived there - any tips?

Thanks,

Hey! I am moving too. I am thinking to find a place for September 1. Tried for end of August, but hard to find something in mid or late month.

According to Facebook poll, 8 people so far are moving to Kamloops for sure. Could be more.

As @canuckfanatic mentioned, I heard that Sahali is the most convenient location. Downtown has some nice options too. And yes, winter tires is a must because of the hills. 

We should all get together once everyone is in town! I am down to organize a study group if others are interested.