pzabbythesecond

How do you stop to take a moment and smell the roses?

I liked Headspace when I used it. Haven’t in a few years but it was good.

I liked Headspace when I was starting out, but I've transitioned to Calm recently. I've found it has a much wider and more useful selection of meditations

• Haha 1

There is something off putting about being guided through meditation by someone who sounds like a slightly stoned Paul Hogan. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/9/2020 at 1:39 PM, pzabbythesecond said:

Honestly, law school did this to me. Before it, I was still goal oriented but it didn't feel as make or break as it does now. Though I was pretty obsessed with getting into law school, and a specific law school, from very early on.

Conversely, I feel like my ambition decreased after I got into law school, in particular after striking out of the 1L recruit.

Just like many law students, I am goal-oriented and naturally was swept into the whole mentality of applying to the biggest law firms that were hiring in 1L. I guess it stemmed from not "losing steam" since high school - everything was "go, go, go" and I never really had a big enough failure/rejection that made me take stock of my intentions. Constant success is like a train that keeps going, with new tracks laid down with every new opportunity acquired (where is the train going? I don't know, but my shiny train is going faster and further than my peers, so I must be doing something right). 

I definitely had severe tunnel vision during the 1L recruit and getting those post-interview rejections felt like reaching the end of the tunnel and being kicked off the train that I was so used to. However, it also felt like getting kicked onto an open field. Sure, I can try to get back on the train again next year (hopefully with a clearer understanding as to why I am on the train), but I also now realize that there is no harm in staying out in the field for a while, even if it's off-track, to see what other paths are out there. I might even smell some roses for a change. 

Edited by Twenty

6 hours ago, Cabaret said:

Is there a website or app you would recommend? I've been interested in starting this for a while, but not really sure how to get going with it.

I think Sam Harris's "Waking Up" is a good starting point if you're willing to pay the $150/yr for it. Otherwise, initially I experimented with different guided lessons on YouTube until I coughed up the money. I don't regret it. 

19 minutes ago, Jaggers said:

LOL

I'm curious what your take is on Sam Harris. My friend who's a Peterson fan swears by him, so I'm obviously hesitant to just trust him on it..

I've stopped engaging when we get the Harris/Rubin/Shapiro/Peterson types around here.They usually flare up then disappear.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jaggers said:

I've stopped engaging when we get the Harris/Rubin/Shapiro/Peterson types around here.They usually flare up then disappear.

I didn't realize Harris is similar to that camp. Too bad. My friend really has been indoctrinated I guess haha

7 minutes ago, Jaggers said:

Anyone who lumps Sam Harris in with the other individuals you mentioned there simply isn't familiar with his work. But by the sounds of it we'll both be happier to agree to disagree and avoid getting into this.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It's incredibly inconvenient that two of the top 10 meditation apps are made by guys with the last name Harris

The only two times I've engaged with anything by Sam Harris were when I read his essay "Lying" (which I thought was relatively compelling) and his debate with Ezra Klein regarding Charles Murray (which I encountered because I listen to Klein's podcast). I found his performance during that rather dismal, although I though Ezra came across rather poorly as well. Ezra at least had a good line about how the dominant group gets to delegitimize others by calling what out groups do "identity politics".

All of that said, I wouldn't be comfortable shelling out $150/year to Sam Murray, which is why I've never tried the app. I know people who swear by it, but with other, less objectionable apps out there, I've decided to stay away.

Edited by BlockedQuebecois

8 hours ago, pzabbythesecond said:

I didn't realize Harris is similar to that camp. Too bad. My friend really has been indoctrinated I guess haha

He's really not. Then again, Jordan Peterson is not similar to Ben Shapiro and none of them are similar to Dave Rubin.

• Harris = actually smart and honest.
  • Peterson = actually smart but also possibly a whackjob. 
  • Shapiro = just smart enough to be a profitable charlatan. 
  • Rubin = an unremarkable remora? 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BringBackCrunchBerries said:

He's really not. Then again, Jordan Peterson is not similar to Ben Shapiro and none of them are similar to Dave Rubin.

• Harris = actually smart and honest.
  • Peterson = actually smart but also possibly a whackjob. 
  • Shapiro = just smart enough to be a profitable charlatan. 
  • Rubin = an unremarkable remora? 

I mostly agree with this, except I have to quibble with your assessment of Dave Rubin. He's not "unremarkable;" he's remarkably moronic and remarkably popular and successful despite possessing no talent, insight, wit, intelligence or humour whatsoever.

This is a guy who, among other things, asserted that Jesus was "around a lot of Muslims" because he lived in the Middle East, and who got completely humiliated by that neanderthal Joe Rogan of all people in a debate (where Rubin was trying to argue that building codes/regulations shouldn't be a thing).

5 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

I mostly agree with this, except I have to quibble with your assessment of Dave Rubin. He's not "unremarkable;" he's remarkably moronic and remarkably popular and successful despite possessing no talent, insight, wit, intelligence or humour whatsoever.

This is a guy who, among other things, asserted that Jesus was "around a lot of Muslims" because he lived in the Middle East, and who got completely humiliated by that neanderthal Joe Rogan of all people in a debate (where Rubin was trying to argue that building codes/regulations shouldn't be a thing).

I realized that Rubin offered nothing of value but it appears I did not appreciate the depths of his stupidity! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BringBackCrunchBerries said:

I realized that Rubin offered nothing of value but it appears I did not appreciate the depths of his stupidity! 

He's mostly known for nodding and drooling while his guests talk, but on the occasions when he actually speaks or writes, he produces some real doozies.

14 hours ago, pzabbythesecond said:

For what it's worth, I enjoy listening to Sam Harris's podcast. Is he wrong sometimes? Of course; who isn't? Does he make a good faith effort to have meaningful discussions on difficult and interesting topics (and often succeed in doing so)? I think so. I'm not sure how anyone could disregard his podcast outright when he's had roughly 200 different experts on to talk about their respective fields. If one doesn't like Sam, surely they might find utility in what the guest has to contribute. Although, I wish Sam would figure out how to speak efficiently; he has a remarkable ability to ramble on about a point that needs 10 words max.

The same applies to Jordan Peterson. I disagree with much of what Peterson has argued, but he practiced clinical psychology for a number of years. Surely he has something useful to share. I know I've found some of his lectures beneficial in my life. 

It's important to engage with ideas, especially those coming from a basis of finding the truth (which I think both of these individuals are generally motivated to find). Don't reject the idea/author/speaker on the basis of the select few that misunderstand or unduly emphasize one small portion of the grander picture. Listen to a couple of discussions on your own and then make your judgment. Don't listen to what @Jaggers or I tell you.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, TdK said:

The same applies to Jordan Peterson. I disagree with much of what Peterson has argued, but he practiced clinical psychology for a number of years. Surely he has something useful to share. I know I've found some of his lectures beneficial in my life. 

The problem with Peterson is he doesn't stay in his area of expertise. I know people who have actually been his patients, and have found him ridiculously helpful. The problem is when he continuously uses a large vocabulary, his position of power, and his title/education to push dangerous and insidious ideas onto vulnerable people (often young men) under the guise of expertise. A key of example was his campaign against the addition of gender identity to the list of protected classes under human rights legislation. He consistently misrepresented what the change did, what the law allowed, and what it would do. Instead of deferring to legal experts, he utilized his position of power to stir up a very specific demographic (and raked money in in support of his cause). I can't get behind that intellectual dishonesty. 

Edited by whoknows
  • Like 3

Just now, whoknows said:

The problem with Peterson is he doesn't stay in his area of expertise. I know people who have actually been his patients, and have found him ridiculously helpful. The problem is when he continuously uses a large vocabulary, his position of power, and his title/education to push dangerous and insidious ideas onto vulnerable people (often young men) under the guise of expertise. A key of example was his campaign against the addition of gender identity to the list of protected classes under human rights legislation. He consistently represented what the change did, what the law allowed, and what it would do. Instead of deferring to legal experts, he utilized his position of power to stir up a very specific demographic (and raked money in in support of his cause). I can't get behind that intellectual dishonesty. 

38 minutes ago, TdK said:

Yes, I agree.

Sorry to contribute to the derailing, but I just found a bit of Dave Rubin idiocy I wasn't previously aware of, and it's too hilarious not to share. This has got to be one of the most inane takes on anything ever: 

• Haha 1