LegalQueen96

Did my good grades screw me out of getting a job in a firm?

2 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

@Hegdis This is what I was saying. I'd heard this. I have good friends from both the maritimes and Newfoundland, and they all unequivocally distinguish between the maritimes and Newfoundland.

Sure, but Sask and Manitoba pretend they more of a difference than ease of drawing. Doesn't make it true. 

I just read No Great Mischief and there is a character who says “I never know whether to include Newfoundland in the Maritimes.” So, the question is part of the canon of great Canadian literature. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, erinl2 said:

That may be your experience. It isn't mine!  I know lots of people who describe coastline re: their cottages on lakes, both Great and smaller, and on the bays in Ontario.  Having lived in ON all my life, maybe that's why it's more familiar to me. 

Being from NS, I feel like I have some expertise here, and "coast" is exclusively used for either ocean-side or sea-side land, whereas "shore" can be used for either. 

ON has a northern coast, but not an eastern coast, and so it's not an east coast province; though it has many lake shores. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BringBackCrunchBerries said:

I just read No Great Mischief and there is a character who says “I never know whether to include Newfoundland in the Maritimes.” So, the question is part of the canon of great Canadian literature. 

I love Alistair MacLeod. However, it's not a question. Newfoundland is not (and never was) a part of the Maritime provinces. I expect that was was a reflection upon that character, or the cultural proximity of Cape Breton and NL, or was just amusing about something people get wrong a lot. 

PS - Alistair MacLeod's son is also an author, and he has an excellent collection of short stories, in case you're interested!

No, your grades won't impede you from finding a job, in fact they'll help. Please ignore the litany of assh*lic and unnecessary comments some posters have made about your grades. You're doing a good job, keep up the good work.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, conge said:

I love Alistair MacLeod. However, it's not a question. Newfoundland is not (and never was) a part of the Maritime provinces. I expect that was was a reflection upon that character, or the cultural proximity of Cape Breton and NL, or was just amusing about something people get wrong a lot. 

PS - Alistair MacLeod's son is also an author, and he has an excellent collection of short stories, in case you're interested!

You're right. It was a tiny character in the novel. In the next line MacLeod even says the character was not a native of the Atlantic area. It's a reference by MacLeod to the common confusion from the rest of Canada. 

• Like 1

Anyone who thinks Ontario isn't at the centre of our fair Dominion, historically, politically, geographically, socially, culturally, righteously, and magically, indeed her very creator and natural master, is a fool. A foolish provincial fool.

Fools all. The very kind of fools who would suppose good grades a hardship when seeking employment. What a very...rustic perspective. Typical of backwater solicitors whoring their services to unbathed Manitoban country dwellers.

• Like 1