LegalQueen96

Did my good grades screw me out of getting a job in a firm?

Posted (edited)

Good grades absolutely do not bar you from receiving employment in private practice -- in fact, they do quite the opposite. I had straight A's in 1L and nearly every firm I applied to was interested in interviewing me. And this continued throughout the process (I even had several compliments about my grades during in-firms).

The only "negative" impact it had is on few smaller/mid-sized firms, which declined to interview me because my grades were very high and they didn't want to spend their resources pursuing me when they knew I would likely end up at a large firm.

Edited by georgecostanzajr
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Wait till @conge finds out people from BC say that Toronto is on the “east coast” pretty regularly. 

Gah!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, healthlaw said:

All of my friends from BC refer to Toronto as the “east coast” and for them it makes total sense 

I respectfully submit that we at least keep "east coast" reserved for the provinces in the east with a coast.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, conge said:

I respectfully submit that we at least keep "east coast" reserved for the provinces in the east with a coast.

But Ontario is east and has a coast.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, kurrika said:

But Ontario is east and has a coast.

James Bay

1 hour ago, Luckycharm said:

James Bay

That's an interesting choice, considering the typical choices would be Lakes Erie and Ontario.

6 minutes ago, erinl2 said:

That's an interesting choice, considering the typical choices would be Lakes Erie and Ontario.

Coast pretty much exclusively means the land next to the ocean. I’ve never heard anybody describe Toronto as being on the coast of Lake Ontario 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Coast pretty much exclusively means the land next to the ocean. I’ve never heard anybody describe Toronto as being on the coast of Lake Ontario 

Yes, for a non-ocean you'd use shore instead (though shore can also refer to a coast). 

35 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

That may be your experience. It isn't mine!  I know lots of people who describe coastline re: their cottages on lakes, both Great and smaller, and on the bays in Ontario.  Having lived in ON all my life, maybe that's why it's more familiar to me. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, erinl2 said:

That may be your experience. It isn't mine!  I know lots of people who describe coastline re: their cottages on lakes, both Great and smaller, and on the bays in Ontario.  Having lived in ON all my life, maybe that's why it's more familiar to me. 

Yeah, that’s silly. If somebody told me Wisconsin was coastal I would assume they’re either ignorant of US geography or we need to rush them to the hospital immediately to get an MRI. And Wisconsin at least is on a Great Lake (or two? I can’t remember). If you tried to tell me that Des Moines, Iowa was on the coast because it’s beside Saylorville Lake, I don’t know what I would do. If your definition of coastal captures Des Moines, I respectfully submit your definition is useless

BCers reference to Toronto being on the East Coast has to do with Toronto’s place in the socio-political construct of the East Coast. The same way “East Coast” in the political context captures Washington, D.C. but not Savanagh, Georgia, despite the former being up the Potomac River and the latter being on the Atlantic. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, conge said:

No we call that The Maritimes, silly. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

What do we call Newfoundland then?

The Maritimes. 

• Like 1

You probably think I am joking. I am not. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Wait, do people from Ontario not consider Newfoundland part of the Maritimes? 🤯 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois

Noooooo. The maritimes is New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and PEI. Newfoundland + the three maritime provinces is Atlantic Canada. 

Somewhere in Atlantic Canada, my severely obese eighth grade social studies teacher is either turning in his grave or having another in a series of heart attacks at this blasphemy. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, realpseudonym said:

Noooooo. The maritimes is New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and PEI. Newfoundland + the three maritime provinces is Atlantic Canada. 

Somewhere in Atlantic Canada, my severely obese eighth grade social studies teacher is either turning in his grave or having another in a series of heart attacks at this blasphemy. 

Wait till they hear that everyone in my eighth grade social studies class just drew  Nova Scotia and New Brunswick really messily so that we didn’t have to label them. To this day, I’m 50/50 to label them properly on a map. 

Real talk, though: I never learned the Maritimes was those three. If you’d asked me yesterday what the difference between the Maritimes and Atlantic Canada was, I would have guessed Atlantic Canada included the ocean-adjacent part of Quebec. 

22 minutes ago, realpseudonym said:

@Hegdis This is what I was saying. I'd heard this. I have good friends from both the maritimes and Newfoundland, and they all unequivocally distinguish between the maritimes and Newfoundland.

• Like 1