bluewhale1

Bar Exam - Time Management & Speed

17 minutes ago, bamboo88 said:

Take away: You could get 90s in practice exams and still fail the real thing? I guess it's only good for keeping your speed on track, and getting you more familiar with your index. 

Where have you seen these numbers?

loooool

46 minutes ago, bamboo88 said:

Take away: You could get 90s in practice exams and still fail the real thing? I guess it's only good for keeping your speed on track, and getting you more familiar with your index. 

Where have you seen these numbers?

I've seen those numbers based on old Bar discussions on this site.  There has never been a conclusive passing mark though, people seem to think the cut off point is anywhere from low 60s to low 70s.   I have no idea if people who get 90s on practice exams fail the real thing.

47 minutes ago, ontariolaw said:

I've seen those numbers based on old Bar discussions on this site.  There has never been a conclusive passing mark though, people seem to think the cut off point is anywhere from low 60s to low 70s.   I have no idea if people who get 90s on practice exams fail the real thing.

I'm curious to know how they come up with the cut off point? Even if just speculation. Thank you for responding though. I wonder why there is so much secrecy around the cut off point anyways? Is it based on "top x percentile of people get to pass" (on a curve I guess), which makes it hard to pin-point a passing score, as it would change every year?

If people don’t know what the actual pass score is how can anyone possibly speculate WHY that unknown number is the number it is?

This forum is absolutely bonkers for enhancing anxiety. Whether it be OCIs, articling recruit, entrance stats, bar exams, or articling hireback, rumination isn’t beneficial.

46 minutes ago, FingersCr0ssed said:

If people don’t know what the actual pass score is how can anyone possibly speculate WHY that unknown number is the number it is?

This forum is absolutely bonkers for enhancing anxiety. Whether it be OCIs, articling recruit, entrance stats, bar exams, or articling hireback, rumination isn’t beneficial.

In fairness, you actually could know why the unknown number is that number without knowing the number. 

Pretend the LSAT was pass/fail. LSAC could set the passing score at 160, but not release the curve. In that world, nobody except LSAC would know what number of correct answers is a pass on a given test. But we could know that the passing score is the 80.04 percentile. And thus we’d know why that number is the passing number, even if we didn’t know what that number was. We also see that with curves at many law schools. Nobody at Osgoode knows going into an exam what numerical score is the cutoff for an A, but we know why that cutoff number is what it is.

Realistically, the bar exam is very similar. The LSO wrote a test. They set the cutoff score for the test at a given number, taking into account the difficulty of the questions. The number is likely sufficiently high that it shows some competence in all areas. Alternatively, you could set minimum scores for each section and overall (say 230/300 with no fewer than 50 right in each of four 75 question sections). Once they’ve set the cutoff to ensure the minimum competence and adjusted for the difficulty of the exam, they give it to students. And because the goal of the bar isn’t to compare between exam groups, you don’t need to worry about adjusting scores like you do with the LSAT. You just set it and forget it. 

But also, you’re totally right that this is an absurd thing to stress about. It’s an interesting thing to consider academically, but inconsequential to how people should approach the bar exam. 

On 7/8/2020 at 3:56 PM, feraenaturae said:

I've used an old canbar prep exam, not sure what my other old ones I have are cause I haven't done them yet. I'll also likely buy a new full one.

I'm wondering if anyone can say which are reputed to be the most like the actual exam (and which the least). 

I used OLE and BarPrepPal for Barrister in November. I was freaked out after ParPrepPal, because I got only 65% right, but at the exam I was actually relieved, because it seemed much easier for me (i.e. the wording was less confusing). For Solicitor exam (online in June), I used OLE and Emond. Emond (Solicitor), imho, was very close to what was on the exam in terms of format and complexity. OLE was a little easier than the actual exam for both.

Anyone else no longer able to click on the Solicitor/Barrister/Paralegal tabs at the top of the sample exam?

• Like 1

Just now, ontariolaw said:

Anyone else no longer able to click on the Solicitor/Barrister/Paralegal tabs at the top of the sample exam?

Yes. This freaked me out too. But it won't be a thing on the real exam so I'm not concerned.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

UPDATE: 

I've implemented the triage method along with reviewing my DTOC almost everyday since last Tuesday. I've also shifted my focus to the DTOC, while only using my indices for questions I literally have no clue where they might be or if I blanked as to the location in the materials. In addition, I take every few days off from timed practicing. Instead, I scan/read sections that I have more difficulty with and locate what key term/phrases are used in my index. I find this helps me stay fresh for continuous days of PT'ing. I also review the PR section, which I find helps me answer PR questions without needing to refer to the materials. 

I have scored consistently above 88% for the last few practice exams and have cut my time down to approximately 1.2-1.3min/question.

So I just want to reiterate the advice that was given here and what has worked for me:

1. Triage the questions

2. Rely primarily on one tool (whether it be your DTOC or index)

3. Review

YMMV.

Edited by bluewhale1
  • Like 2