Sign in to follow this  
Byzantine

Scholarship Possibility for 2021?

Posted (edited)

Hey Everyone! 

I'm planning on applying to UVIC for Fall 2021 and have a question regarding scholarship chances. The thing that worries me the most about attending law school is accumulating a lot of debt, so I'd love to be able to get a scholarship if possible (like everyone else I'm sure :)). 

Right now I have 3.9/4.33 GPA (including drops) and a 166 LSAT score (93rd percentile), therefore my index formula should be around 954. From my reading so far seems like I'll be above the auto-admit threshold for admission, but not sure if I have the marks for a scholarship. Thoughts? 

Do you think boosting my LSAT would increase my chances significantly for a scholarship? I wasn't able to study that much for my first attempt so I'm confident I could push it up at least a couple points in the November LSAT.

Another option is I could focus on ECs. Other than 5 years of working in healthcare I don't have much volunteer/leadership experience to write about. I'm wondering if getting more involved with volunteering would help my chances of a scholarship? 

I would really only have time to do one or the other since I'm also taking classes. Do you think it's worthwhile to pursue either of the strategies in the hopes of getting a scholarship? I know I'll also be able to draw on bursaries so that gives me some peace of mind as well. 

Thank you for your time and any advice you have for me! 

Edited by Byzantine

I had that same LSAT and a slightly higher gpa (with drops) when I was accepted this year and I did not receive a scholarship. You can look through this years accepted thread to see some candidates who did receive a merit scholarship. If I recall correctly you aren’t super far off, a few points higher on the LSAT could well make you competitive for a scholarship!

• Thanks 1

In my offer letter this year, they noted that scholarships are reserved for those "with A averages and LSAT scores above the 95th percentile." Nothing was mentioned about ECs. I didn't accept my offer at uVic so I don't know if they would have granted me a scholarship later on, but they didn't offer me a scholarship in the acceptance letter and my index was high 960's. I hope that helps!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, Byzantine said:

Do you think boosting my LSAT would increase my chances significantly for a scholarship? 

From my experience, yes. I received a scholarship this year with an LSAT score of 171. I wasn't admitted last year with a 159. My cGPA was similar to yours - 3.7/4.0. Nothing major changed other than the LSAT between applications.

Edited by vancouvergirl
Clarity
  • Thanks 1

From my understanding of the process, scholarship offers are dependent on your index score. So yes, improving your LSAT (and therefore index) would improve the amount offered. I was offered a scholarship that was a minimum quoted amount. When the class was finalized around two weeks into 1L, I was given a higher amount. I guessed that everyone just went up the ladder as students with larger offers declined. 

BTW I had the exact same LSAT as you, and in hindsight I do wish I had re-taken it to see if I could get a better score with more dedicated studying, and therefore a larger scholarship. 

As far as I know, EC's do not impact entrance scholarships. However, that shouldn't discourage you from doing them. Law school involves a lot of networking at extra-curricular events (at least, in Victoria where the network is so small it seems like there is a massive emphasis on this). Balancing academics and extra-curriculars is a great skill to improve, because you will probably need it for law school. 

As other posters have mentioned, UVic focuses more on bursaries than entrance scholarships. Even if you don't get a scholarship, I have heard that the bursary offers are considered really great. 

• Like 1

I was offered an entrance scholarship this year when I applied with around a 3.86/4.3 (not including drops) and a 171. When I was accepted they told me my scholarship would be no less than X amount, but that I might get more and that things wouldn't get finalized until August (happy to give exact details of everything over pm). Same with the commenter above, they noted in my letter that scholarships were usually awarded to those will A averages and over a 95th percentile LSAT.  I had lots of EC's but if I am being honest I doubt they were considered.