mcm2020

Provisional to Firm Acceptance

Posted (edited)

I provisionally accepted my offer to Windsor in April. It became firm as of July 1, 2020 and I recently logged onto OLSAS and saw that all of my other applications had been cancelled. I had no idea this would happen - as it doesn't make sense for me to firmly accept without hearing back from all schools and making a decision at that point. I paid the initial deposit to Windsor knowing I would not get that refunded if I chose to attend another school, but I had NO clue after I reached the provisional deadline, that it would cancel applications.

Can someone please shed some light on this? I'm in panic mode. I hadn't heard from Queens or Ottawa and they were also top choices.

Thanks!

Edited by mcm2020

Ottawa and Queen's have not responded to several other applicants. It's a problem with this year's cycle.

I know but my provisional offer automatically became firm July 1 (without any further action) and it seems as though this has cancelled my applications to Queens/Ottawa, despite having not heard back..

3 minutes ago, mcm2020 said:

I provisionally accepted my offer to Windsor in April. It became firm as of July 1, 2020 and I recently logged onto OLSAS and saw that all of my other applications had been cancelled. I had no idea this would happen - as it doesn't make sense for me to firmly accept without hearing back from all schools and making a decision at that point. I paid the initial deposit to Windsor knowing I would not get that refunded if I chose to attend another school, but I had NO clue after I reached the provisional deadline, that it would cancel applications.

Can someone please shed some light on this? I'm in panic mode. I hadn't heard from Queens or Ottawa and they were also top choices.

Thanks!

That's how a firm acceptance works. It cancels out all other applications. I am sure Windsor notified you explicitly that all provisional acceptances go firm on July 2nd. I understand the panic you may be feeling, but frankly it's your fault for the oversight and not knowing how the deadline and firm acceptances work. 

1 minute ago, OnlyResident said:

That's how a firm acceptance works. It cancels out all other applications. I am sure Windsor notified you explicitly that all provisional acceptances go firm on July 2nd. I understand the panic you may be feeling, but frankly it's your fault for the oversight and not knowing how the deadline and firm acceptances work. 

So if I wanted to hear back from the other schools, I would have had to decline Windsor? 

That's how provisional acceptances work. When you provisionally accept, your outstanding applications can remain active, but only until you have a firm acceptance - either because you have chosen to firmly accept, or because the provisional acceptance has automatically become firm. See the OUAC website:

https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/olsas-offers/#:~:text=If you provide a provisional,as “No Further Consideration”.

https://www.ouac.on.ca/faq/difference-provisional-firm-olsas/

At some point you have to make a decision about whether you're happy securing your spot at a school, or if you want to let it go and hold out for other outstanding applications / waitlists. You can't just sit on everything indefinitely.

Just now, mcm2020 said:

So if I wanted to hear back from the other schools, I would have had to decline Windsor? 

Yup. They're not gonna save a seat for someone longing to get into somewhere else forever. That's not fair to the school or the next person waiting to get into Windsor. FWIW very few people get in after the July 2nd deadline if the past threads are representative of anything, so if Queens or Ottawa wanted you, you would have heard by now. 

17 minutes ago, mcm2020 said:

Thanks!

You can say goodbye to Queens and Ottawa.  Get ready for Windsor.

5 minutes ago, mcm2020 said:

I know but my provisional offer automatically became firm July 1 (without any further action) and it seems as though this has cancelled my applications to Queens/Ottawa, despite having not heard back..

Oh wow - What did you think a firm acceptance was???

Your other applications are cancelled and you won't find out whether you would have been accepted into Queens or Ottawa. This information is readily available on OUAC's website:

"Note: When you provide a firm acceptance, your other choices will be marked as “No Further Consideration”. Your application to any other Ontario law schools will be cancelled, and you will be removed from all wait lists."
https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/olsas-offers/

12 minutes ago, mcm2020 said:

Yes. And you missed the deadline to do so.

Posted (edited)

I mean there is a slight chance that you could get in, but it's not worth the gamble. The people who are still under consideration are people who have not gotten into other schools. Also the deadline has passed.

Edited by Husns

Welcome to law school admissions; it’s the nature of the beast. Considering this is your 3rd cycle applying (yes, I just lurked your profile), I’m really surprised you didn’t know this… but hey, I guess you don’t know what you don’t know lol. Congrats on your acceptance to Windsor!

53 minutes ago, junooakley said:

Welcome to law school admissions; it’s the nature of the beast. Considering this is your 3rd cycle applying (yes, I just lurked your profile), I’m really surprised you didn’t know this… but hey, I guess you don’t know what you don’t know lol. Congrats on your acceptance to Windsor!

Who are you referimg to?

57 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

Who are you referimg to?

Was it not obvious enough? I'm referring to OP mcm2020. In order to avoid making threads unnecessarily long, I try not to quote people excessively.

• Like 1