Marlies94

Faculty of Law buildings under construction beginning Jan 2021.

Hi everyone,

Just firmly accepted my offer last week and started to do some research about the campus and the city. I figured I should make a post for those who are beginning 1L in September.

Turns out that the Ron W. Ianni Law building will be under construction as of January 2021 for 18-24 months. This means that the class of 2023 wont have dedicated spaces for classes or legal research until the renovations are complete. Renovations will be completed on the entire building, including the law library. I have worked in construction all my life and I know that these timelines are rarely met, so my best guess is that the class of 2023 will be displaced from 1L-3L. 

Most recent update from the Dean of Law:

May 25, 2020.

"The COVID-19 pandemic has posed significant challenges to all aspects of our University’s operations, including planning for the Transforming Windsor Law (TWL) building project. However, I am pleased to be able to provide some clarity on the way forward for the project.

We were to have packed up and moved to temporary quarters this summer, with a late summer start for construction. Unfortunately, we have been unable to do the work necessary to make the temporary quarters suitable for our needs due to the suspension of construction sites on campus. However, while we are facing a delay in terms of our temporary relocation and the start of the transformative renovations of the Ron W. Ianni law building, the delay is manageable and relatively brief in the grand scheme of things.

The revised plan is to push back construction by roughly six months, with a planned start no later than January 2021. In an effort to minimize disruption and ensure service to students through the Fall semester, we have planned a two-stage relocation strategy. Our plan is for the Law Library to move this summer to the Leddy Library. The rest of the Faculty of Law will move to temporary quarters at the end of the Fall 2020 term, with no disruption to the dates of the academic year.  This gives us additional time to pack and has the advantage of freeing up space in the Law Library if we require additional room for physical distancing for our academic programs.

I remain very excited about this project; indeed, it is encouraging to look forward to our new space despite current challenges. If you haven’t had a chance to see the renderings, please take a look. The support of alumni and friends is also more important than ever; please consider making a contribution if you are able."

In a previous update on Nov 20, 2019:

"Windsor Law students, faculty, and staff will temporarily relocate into 'law clusters' around the rest of the campus."

"While there will be a few classes scheduled at the downtown campus — as there are currently — the bulk of classes will remain on main campus: in the Odette School of Business, Toldo Health Education Centre, and the Neal Education Building."

All updates can be found here if anyone wants more info: https://www.uwindsor.ca/law/1939/deans-updates

The renderings look great and are the renovations are desperately needed, however its pretty disappointing that we won't have our own dedicated spaces for at least 1L and 2L. Best case scenario - we move to the new building at the beginning of 3L in September 2022. 

Posted (edited)

It's a big move. Concerning with respect to covid and the Windsor-Essex area generally, but it's also the perfect time to re-build with online learning coming next year.

Edited by Trew

@Marlies94 Congratulations! I too just recently accepted an offer to start 1L this September.

I have also been doing some research and noticed that a large renovation/move was being done. You note that students wouldn't have dedicated space, but given the current situation that shouldn't be too much of an issue considering that, at least for this year, we aren't necessarily required to be in Windsor let alone at the law building. I agree that if the COVID situation lightens and we are allowed back that 2L (and even 3L given construction timelines) would be difficult. I wouldn't worry too much, all of us are in the same boat and I'm sure they will have more than acceptable alternatives for us.

The plan is to have a dedicated space for law students in the CAW building (it's a building which includes the bookstore, food court etc).
If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to shot me a personal message. I'm an incoming 3L- happy to answer any questions.