Posted (edited)

If anyone is concerned about having to move between whatever area you’re in and PR as the PR questions are sprinkled throughout, it looks like you can manipulate the software to create a standalone PR section. 

As you move through the exam, use the bookmark function for normal questions you can’t answer right away and want to return to, and simply leave PR questions unanswered. Once you’ve reached the end of the questions you can use the “Review Questions” tool to filter by “bookmarked” and “unattempted” questions. The unattempted questions filter is your PR section, all in one place.

Since you’d be skipping a lot of questions, you can also open the Review tool to see how many questions you have answered to make sure you’re still on pace. The tool shows you how many questions are in each filter and appears to update after you move on from each question (there’s an “attempted” questions filter as well).

Edited by easttowest
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Some test anxiety is natural and even helpful... sometimes. 

I would urge most people looking forward to the Bar to mostly ignore @BlockedQuebecois's comments in here. I too did not study as much as my peers but the Bar materials are very dense and it is NOT easy to read 100 pages of it per day. Many people can only manage about half of that, IIRC. I did a series of 12-13 hour reading days to sort of cram for the tests and I think most of my days I ended up covering 80-100 pages, and I am a serial crammer. You will get bogged down and bored. A week to ten days of studying is wayyy too little for each test, for the majority of people. I get that BQ is not telling other people what to do and I'm not trying to imply that he is.

• Like 1

I think on average around 10 pages an hour is a reasonable reading pace for these types of materials. So if you treat it like a 9-5 and eat lunch, counting smaller breaks, you can probably get 60-70 done per day without too much hassle.

But there's no need to do that. 50 a day is a good pace if you want to enjoy half your day. To each their own.

1 hour ago, easttowest said:

If anyone is concerned about having to move between whatever area you’re in and PR as the PR questions are sprinkled throughout, it looks like you can manipulate the software to create a standalone PR section. 

As you move through the exam, use the bookmark function for normal questions you can’t answer right away and want to return to, and simply leave PR questions unanswered. Once you’ve reached the end of the questions you can use the “Review Questions” tool to filter by “bookmarked” and “unattempted” questions. The unattempted questions filter is your PR section, all in one place.

Since you’d be skipping a lot of questions, you can also open the Review tool to see how many questions you have answered to make sure you’re still on pace. The tool shows you how many questions are in each filter and appears to update after you move on from each question (there’s an “attempted” questions filter as well).

Would this not potentially be a strategy that ends up taking more time? I mean, because you have to read the question to figure out if it's PR or not, and then when you go back to answer it, you have to read it again.

Additionally, does anyone have any tips on distinguishing a PR question from say an Estates question? I just mean that the other sections also ask questions that are similar to PR, in the sense of "what should you do if" and then asks about a specific scenario with a client, etc.

I guess if you need to read every word to understand what it’s asking. The answers usually give the nature of the questions away as well. 

It works for me because I speed read.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, easttowest said:

I guess if you need to read every word to understand what it’s asking. The answers usually give the nature of the questions away as well. 

It works for me because I speed read.

I "speed read" for something like that too, but it just seems like you could keep your PR book and index open the whole time on another part of the table, to quickly switch between it and the section you're on.

It seems like it might be worthwhile though. I might take your suggestion. Thanks

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, HouseOfPolycarbonate said:

I "speed read" for something like that too, but it just seems like you could keep your PR book and index open the whole time on another part of the table, to quickly switch between it and the section you're on.

It seems like it might be worthwhile though. I might take your suggestion. Thanks

That would work for sure. I found that I get more in the zone when I’m working with one book because I become familiar with its layout after a few questions. Going back to PR sporadically meant I spent more time on PR questions because I forgot how the book worked.

To be clear though, I’m not advocating for the technique, simply sharing a feature of the software I noticed. 

Edited by easttowest

2 hours ago, pzabbythesecond said:

I think on average around 10 pages an hour is a reasonable reading pace for these types of materials. So if you treat it like a 9-5 and eat lunch, counting smaller breaks, you can probably get 60-70 done per day without too much hassle.

But there's no need to do that. 50 a day is a good pace if you want to enjoy half your day. To each their own.

Also, I just hate it so much. I'm also working part time, but have tried doing half days of each, or full days of each, and on full days of bar materials I really struggle to keep it as productive as two half days. I'd much rather take more time and do shorter days, and if I didn't have that option I think my overall performance would suffer. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, BringBackCrunchBerries said:

Some test anxiety is natural and even helpful... sometimes. 

I would urge most people looking forward to the Bar to mostly ignore @BlockedQuebecois's comments in here. I too did not study as much as my peers but the Bar materials are very dense and it is NOT easy to read 100 pages of it per day. Many people can only manage about half of that, IIRC. I did a series of 12-13 hour reading days to sort of cram for the tests and I think most of my days I ended up covering 80-100 pages, and I am a serial crammer. You will get bogged down and bored. A week to ten days of studying is wayyy too little for each test, for the majority of people. I get that BQ is not telling other people what to do and I'm not trying to imply that he is.

He apparently did 200-300 pages in 3 5-hour sittings at the coffee house 😂

Edited by Trew

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, easttowest said:

I’m so excited for tomorrow.

Never having to open family law again makes me giddy

Edit to add: hopefully! Can't be jinxing myself accidentally.

Edited by pzabbythesecond
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Why rag on blocked? Everyone has their own method.

This is why people don't like lawyers and law students.

Jealousy or insecurity, I assume 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Haha 3

Just now, BlockedQuebecois said:

Jealousy, I assume 

Nah. Cause they don't know if you passed yet or not. Probably extreme law anxiety, as always.

Anxiety can be healthy to an extent, since it helps keep you diligent. But people are losing their minds over this thing.

Once you've read materials, even if you do fail (statistically unlikely), it shouldn't take you more than a weekend or even a week to prep for your second. Not ideal. Far from the end of the world.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Jealousy or insecurity, I assume 

I actually don't know if I'll be able to survive with my current reading abilities

6 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Nah. Cause they don't know if you passed yet or not. Probably extreme law anxiety, as always.

Anxiety can be healthy to an extent, since it helps keep you diligent. But people are losing their minds over this thing.

Once you've read materials, even if you do fail (statistically unlikely), it shouldn't take you more than a weekend or even a week to prep for your second. Not ideal. Far from the end of the world.

Agreed. The anxiety is a symptom of insecurity, which is why so many law students care so much what everyone else is doing at law school (particularly in 1L, but evidently even in the line up to the bar exam). Everyone would be much happier and less anxious if they just focused on their own prep :) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Trew said:

I actually don't know if I'll be able to survive with my current reading abilities

Eh, the exam will probably just take you a little bit longer. Pretty much everyone passes, even if they are a slower reader. No reason to be stressed about it! Best of luck :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Eh, the exam will probably just take you a little bit longer. Pretty much everyone passes, even if they are a slower reader. No reason to be stressed about it! Best of luck :)

considering requesting accommodations with my lowly double-digit daily production :(

On 7/12/2020 at 5:43 PM, BlockedQuebecois said:

Sorry, I didn’t see this at the time! 

I explained this in another thread, but I ultimately just spent three days studying and another half day getting used to the detailed table of contents. It was quite pleasant, I went to a coffee shop, sat for 5 hours or so, and called it a day. I colour coded according to what somebody else had suggested in one of the bar prep threads.

Just more evidence that BQ isn't afraid of anything. Not failing the bar exams, not the coronavirus, not being mistaken for Quebecois. Nothing! 

And ofc he's going to pass. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, easttowest said:

I need to tweak the method. It turns out that the unattempted filter includes bookmarked questions that you also haven’t attempted. Which makes sense, but is annoying for my purposes. SO! I shall be bookmarking but also entering a placeholder answer for normal Qs I want to come back to so that they don’t appear in my unattempted filter for PR Qs. 

If this seems like too much effort, well, it might be. But I’m still going to do it.