I don’t know if it’s just me, maybe I’m coming on here to see if others feel this way... but in the midst of preparing for the bar between reading the materials and starting to work through practice exams, does anyone feel (or has felt) scary test anxiety about the upcoming bar exams and wondering about if you’ll pass? 

Sometimes, I get in these ruts of second-guessing yourself about your abilities and competencies. Any advice for those of us second-guessing ourselves? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brunetteElleWoods said:

I don’t know if it’s just me, maybe I’m coming on here to see if others feel this way... but in the midst of preparing for the bar between reading the materials and starting to work through practice exams, does anyone feel (or has felt) scary test anxiety about the upcoming bar exams and wondering about if you’ll pass? 

Sometimes, I get in these ruts of second-guessing yourself about your abilities and competencies. Any advice for those of us second-guessing ourselves? 

If it helps, I haven’t started preparing yet, and I’m scheduled to write on the 15th. So you’re surely better prepared than me. 

I would just focus on the fact that the bar exam in Ontario is, largely, procedural. Unless you have a history of test anxiety that severely hampers your performance, or you have no idea how to write a multiple choice exam, you’re probably going to pass. And even if you don’t, it’s hardly the end of the world. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I am merely someone entering my first year of law school, so read this advice with that in mind; however, remember that you would not even be in the position you are now- in the process of preparing for the bar exam- if you had not at the very least experienced some form of previous success during your undergraduate, when taking the LSAT, and completing all 3 years of law school. The latter are all accomplishments in and of themselves you approached from a similar position of unfamiliarity and unsurity in your own ability to succeed; you have made it to this point nonetheless. When thinking of your anxiety, remember that it is just a feeling; as a future lawyer you could even practice proving to yourself why those feelings of anxiety are not justified to help distract you, ground your emotions, and keep your mind on the right track. 

Edited by LabouriousCorvid
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Bar Exam- A meaningless and time wasting exam.

Edited by Luckycharm

This is totally normally. I don’t think anyone walk in or out of the bar exam feeling adequately prepared. I did well in law school, didn’t have exam anxiety and still felt nervous about the bar. Review the materials once, do some mock exams to familiarize yourself with your materials and you’re very likely to pass (and remind yourself of that)

5 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

A meaningless and time wasting exam

That's what irks me. I still prepare because I have anxiety that makes me need to, but I can't for the life of me see how this ever measures legal competence, or how it will ever be useful for me in practice. And yet my summer is mostly burned anyway. Thanks for charging me good money to waste my summer LSO!

I’m so exhausted by this stupid exam. I’m writing on the 14th and can’t wait. Tomorrow I’ll be scheduling the solicitor for the 4th so I can salvage at least a month this summer. I can’t wait for this to be over.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, easttowest said:

I’m so exhausted by this stupid exam. I’m writing on the 14th and can’t wait. Tomorrow I’ll be scheduling the solicitor for the 4th so I can salvage at least a month this summer. I can’t wait for this to be over.

Please please leave me a slot on the 4th. My work starts early enough that I absolutely must write the 4th to have a chance at any travel this summer :(

I'd rather schedule it later and make sure it's a one-time thing 

Just now, BlockedQuebecois said:

Quick! Everyone sign up for the 4th so paz by can’t! 

As much as I like the new nickname, kindly let me be

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Please please leave me a slot on the 4th. My work starts early enough that I absolutely must write the 4th to have a chance at any travel this summer :(

Bruh nobody is signing up in the early windows. They’re law students, of course they’re going to neurotically take too much time to over-prepare. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

Bar Exam- A meaningless and time wasting exam.

Agree with this. It's a good thing to keep in mind, so you don't build up failing the exams into some traumatic experience.

The bar exams barely test legal knowledge and essentially test how quickly you can find things in a stack of materials. Your success/failure says nothing about your future abilities as lawyer, your intelligence, etc. Read through your materials, practice with your indices and you should be fine. If not, you'll get another crack at it. Then you'll move on with your life and never think about it again.

On 7/5/2020 at 8:57 PM, BlockedQuebecois said:

If it helps, I haven’t started preparing yet, and I’m scheduled to write on the 15th. So you’re surely better prepared than me. 

I would just focus on the fact that the bar exam in Ontario is, largely, procedural. Unless you have a history of test anxiety that severely hampers your performance, or you have no idea how to write a multiple choice exam, you’re probably going to pass. And even if you don’t, it’s hardly the end of the world. 

Okay, I keep thinking about this - I'm am really curious about your study plan.

Do you plan to read the materials at all? Are you an insanely fast reader? Are you just going to do some practice tests? If so, why not do them sooner so you'd have time for the traditional prep approach? Do you have one weird trick that the LSO hates? 

If the answer to the last one is yes, please pay me. I'd give my first born* to not have to spend my days with my binders :(. 

Not an offer, merely an invitation to treat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, feraenaturae said:

Do you plan to read the materials at all? Are you an insanely fast reader? Are you just going to do some practice tests? If so, why not do them sooner so you'd have time for the traditional prep approach? Do you have one weird trick that the LSO hates? 

If the answer to the last one is yes, please pay me. I'd give my first born* to not have to spend my days with my binders :(. 

I'd wait to see if he passes before giving him your first born :)

• Like 2

On 7/8/2020 at 4:03 PM, feraenaturae said:

Sorry, I didn’t see this at the time! 

I explained this in another thread, but I ultimately just spent three days studying and another half day getting used to the detailed table of contents. It was quite pleasant, I went to a coffee shop, sat for 5 hours or so, and called it a day. I colour coded according to what somebody else had suggested in one of the bar prep threads.

I’m a very fast reader, but I really think the study process for the bar is drawn out. If you’re not me, I think a week to ten days of study time is reasonable. There are roughly 700 pages of materials. Read 100 pages/day, and you’ll get through the materials in a week. If you want to do some practice tests, that shouldn’t take more than three days (and even that’s a lot, don’t the tests cost a ton?). So on the high end, ten days seems reasonable. 

I did the free questions on the LSO website and found them very simple – I ultimately didn’t need my materials to answer them. I’ve also been answering questions that my friends send to me while they’re studying, and usually find I know the answers off hand.

I’m also only using the detailed table of contents. I debated using the indices the U of T group shared for free, but it was going to be like $60 to print them and that feels unreasonable. If I were updating an index I obviously would have had to start earlier. 

To be honest, depending on how the barrister exam goes, I may not read the solicitor material at all. I found I more or less knew everything included, and if I didn’t I think I could have figured it out during the exam.

Posted (edited)
On 7/8/2020 at 5:34 PM, pzabbythesecond said:

I'd wait to see if he passes before giving him your first born :)

Pass(over), first born, your lack of faith. There’s a biblical joke in here somewhere.  

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Sorry, I didn’t see this at the time! 

I explained this in another thread, but I ultimately just spent three days studying and another half day getting used to the detailed table of contents. It was quite pleasant, I went to a coffee shop, sat for 5 hours or so, and called it a day. I colour coded according to what somebody else had suggested in one of the bar prep threads.

I’m a very fast reader, but I really think the study process for the bar is drawn out. If you’re not me, I think a week to ten days of study time is reasonable. There are roughly 700 pages of materials. Read 100 pages/day, and you’ll get through the materials in a week. If you want to do some practice tests, that shouldn’t take more than three days (and even that’s a lot, don’t the tests cost a ton?). So on the high end, ten days seems reasonable. 

I did the free questions on the LSO website and found them very simple – I ultimately didn’t need my materials to answer them. I’ve also been answering questions that my friends send to me while they’re studying, and usually find I know the answers off hand.

I’m also only using the detailed table of contents. I debated using the indices the U of T group shared for free, but it was going to be like $60 to print them and that feels unreasonable. If I were updating an index I obviously would have had to start earlier. 

To be honest, depending on how the barrister exam goes, I may not read the solicitor material at all. I found I more or less knew everything included, and if I didn’t I think I could have figured it out during the exam.

I am jealous of your ability to get through the materials so quickly, and of your confidence. 🙂