Posted (edited)

Hello, 

I am applying to law schools this coming semester (2020 fall) and I am about to take a course where the professor does not post marks and it's too late to drop the course as it is starting on Tuesday. My goal is to take 2.0 credits (3 courses) this term so I can be able to take just 4 courses per semester on the fall and winter. My question here is because its too risky to estimate your marks and I won't be getting any grades for the course until its posted online when the course is done. Do you think if I credit no credit (pass or fail) will look bad on my application as someone who is graduating this year? 

I am just asking because I rather CNR then have a B grade on my transcript , which will then lower my CGPA overall as well. 

Any advice would help :)

Thank you so much in advance !

Edited by sarahoran12

20 hours ago, sarahoran12 said:

it's too late to drop the course as it is starting on Tuesday

Really? I've never heard of being locked into a course before it starts. I've always seen the drop deadline at least a week after classes start.

20 hours ago, sarahoran12 said:

Do you think if I credit no credit (pass or fail) will look bad on my application as someone who is graduating this year? 

Realistically, how much would a B hurt your GPA? Are you getting straight A's and don't want a B to break your streak? Or do you have lower GPA and need higher than a B to make yourself more competitive? If it's the former, I'd just take the grade because it would make little to no difference to your GPA. If you need to improve your GPA, and it's a difficult course, then probably opt for Cr/NCr.

4 hours ago, canuckfanatic said:

Really? I've never heard of being locked into a course before it starts. I've always seen the drop deadline at least a week after classes start.

its not too late but I cant 5 courses in a semester so dropping this course would make me have to take 5 in one semester its only because I have personal issues with family and so I can take 4 courses during a semester while balancing my family life but  yes I understand your answer. I do not have such a strong GPA but I am going to try my best in this course 

On 7/5/2020 at 10:09 AM, sarahoran12 said:

Hello, 

I am applying to law schools this coming semester (2020 fall) and I am about to take a course where the professor does not post marks and it's too late to drop the course as it is starting on Tuesday. My goal is to take 2.0 credits (3 courses) this term so I can be able to take just 4 courses per semester on the fall and winter. My question here is because its too risky to estimate your marks and I won't be getting any grades for the course until its posted online when the course is done. Do you think if I credit no credit (pass or fail) will look bad on my application as someone who is graduating this year? 

I am just asking because I rather CNR then have a B grade on my transcript , which will then lower my CGPA overall as well. 

Any advice would help :)

Thank you so much in advance !

I used CR/NCR 3 times during my undergrad including a summer course and still managed to get accepted to every school I applied to. As long as the rest your application is solid (LSAT, ECs, PS), I don't think a single CR/NCR will impact your chances at all. 

I also used CR/NCR three times in my undergrad, all of them in my last year. I got into law school. I think CR/NCR has little to no effect on your chances of getting in since you only have a few you can use (I assume, I went to UofT and I think we had 2.0 credits worth), especially since you're only talking about one.