Just wondering how many of the incoming 1Ls are planning to move to Kingston for the fall term since we have the option for complete remote learning as I'm deciding if I should move or not. Any thoughts would be very appreciated :)

Thanks! 

I'm gonna move. Hopefully some in-class occurs, some facilities are open, etc. Plus I don't really feel like living with family. So Sept 1 off we go.

There was a poll done on the Queen's law class of 2023 Facebook page a little over a month ago. Out of 85 votes, 81 people indicated that they would move to Kingston while 4 indicated that they would remain at home. Assuming nothing has changed it would seem that the majority of students are looking to move to Kingston in the fall, including myself. Also, I need roommates so y'all should slide into my DMs.   

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, snow3355 said:

Just wondering how many of the incoming 1Ls are planning to move to Kingston for the fall term since we have the option for complete remote learning as I'm deciding if I should move or not. Any thoughts would be very appreciated :)

Thanks! 

My original thoughts were that I would be staying at home and doing the online learning instead of moving to Kingston. I tend to err on the side of caution and I'm just not sure if I want to risk in person classes yet. Many of those close to me are higher risk, so that probably played a large part in my initial decision.

44 minutes ago, Maxiom said:

There was a poll done on the Queen's law class of 2023 Facebook page a little over a month ago. Out of 85 votes, 81 people indicated that they would move to Kingston while 4 indicated that they would remain at home. Assuming nothing has changed it would seem that the majority of students are looking to move to Kingston in the fall, including myself. Also, I need roommates so y'all should slide into my DMs.   

This is really interesting and it makes me wonder if my original decision is really the right one to make. If I moved to Kingston, I would theoretically be away from my higher risk family (barring visits, which might not even be a good idea). Me staying at home would carry the benefits of saving a year of rent money (a big plus, imo) and potentially being safer in terms of the virus. I should note that even I'm not yet a member of this Facebook group, so there may be a larger population of students who plan to stay home that aren't reflected in this survey.

I do wonder if I would miss out on part of the experience though, but if it's only going to be a "partial" experience to begin with, I'm not sure if I can justify the extra rent costs (on top of tuition) along with the potentially extra virus risk. I just hope I wouldn't be disadvantaged in any way compared to the rest of the class. I really do hope that Queen's will be able to maintain an even footing for those who stay at home and those who can make it in person. I know Queen's intends to offer full online learning, but maybe someone with more experience/ or who is already enrolled at Queen's can weigh in on the potential pros/cons of the in person experience vs. the hypothetical online experience that we're all being faced with right now.

Edited by ChiasticWalrus

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Maxiom said:

This is actually really interesting. Do you know if the numbers are similar for 2Ls/3Ls? My blind guess is that a larger proportion of upper years are willing to remain at home (though I would not be surprised if the majority still prefer in-person). The reasoning is that 0Ls/1Ls are super keen to start law school and be on campus, while seniors are less so. 

@ChiasticWalrus I'm not a Queen's student (I'm an incoming 2L at another ON school), but a reason why I opted to take online classes was because if there is a second wave, everything will move online anyways. I've experienced both in-person and remote law school classes, did the cost-benefit analysis, and felt more comfortable staying with my parents. In some regards, I saw the option of taking classes online and staying at home as an opportunity I should not pass up (for both health and financial reasons).  

In terms of being (academically) disadvantaged, studying in law school is such an independent process (i.e. learning how to read, analyze, and apply case law is something you learn by yourself) that as long as you keep up with (most of) your readings, obtain/create good outlines, read Getting to Maybe before finals, give yourself enough time to do practice questions and analyze sample answers (I found it really helpful to do practice finals with classmates and discuss our answers - these can be done online), I don't think you will be at a disadvantage. In-person lectures are great because you can have interesting class discussions, but based on my first semester of law school, there was no correlation between how engaging a class was and the grade I got for that class. 

Edited by Twenty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for chiming in, @Twenty. It's reassuring to hear that someone else had the exact same train of thought that I did. I also see the option to stay home as a unique opportunity instead of as an outright negative. I appreciate the insight regarding studying as well. I'm glad to hear that a good deal of success boils down to independent study and that most other "techniques for success" are still possible through online means. I've always sort of favoured that method myself, so I'm definetely feeling much better about staying home. All the best to you in the upcoming year.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Maxiom said:

3 hours ago, ChiasticWalrus said:

This is really interesting and it makes me wonder if my original decision is really the right one to make. If I moved to Kingston, I would theoretically be away from my higher risk family (barring visits, which might not even be a good idea). Me staying at home would carry the benefits of saving a year of rent money (a big plus, imo) and potentially being safer in terms of the virus. I should note that even I'm not yet a member of this Facebook group, so there may be a larger population of students who plan to stay home that aren't reflected in this survey.

Almost everyone in the group was marked as having "seen" the post (~220 people) but only 85 responded, so in line with what @ChiasticWalrus said, there are definitely many students not reflected in the poll. Maybe the majority of people are still undecided, and/or people were reluctant to respond that they were staying home because so few others did so? I know I'm still not fully sure what I'm going to do yet given the unpredictable nature of the virus

Edited by soap

5 minutes ago, soap said:

Almost everyone in the group was marked as having "seen" the post (~220 people) but only 85 responded, so in line with what @ChiasticWalrus said, there are definitely many students not reflected in the poll. Maybe the majority of people are still undecided, and/or people were reluctant to respond that they were staying home because so few others did so? I know I'm still not fully sure what I'm going to do yet given the unpredictable nature of the virus

Yea my bad majority was the wrong term to use. However, if the rest of the 1L class responded I do think it is likely that the majority consensus would still be in favour of moving to Kingston. 

I'm an incoming 1L moving from my home province to Kingston in late August. Although, as other have mentioned, I would save a significant amount of money staying at home and living with my parents for the first year (~$15,000), in my mind the experience of moving there outweigh the cost. Even beyond the potential for in-person school events, I think forming bonds with classmates and getting to know the city of Kingston itself is a huge thing to take into consideration. I have to imagine 1L's will still get together during the school year even if COVID prevents school-organized events.

Another reason why I have decided to move out there is due to uncertainty surrounding the second term. Maybe this has already been decided (so someone can correct me if I'm wrong), however if the second term were to be in-person teaching, I have to think it would be a huge pain to find a place and move out to Kingston during the worst part of the year (i.e. winter), while others have already settled in.

I also managed to find a fully furnished apartment at a good price on an 8 month lease, so that helped solidify my decision even further.

There's no wrong choice here though. Everyone has their own unique situation which could make one option more practical.

Posted (edited)

Im doing remote for the following reasons:

1) virus is bad, especially since wave 2 is expected for the fall..

2) you save thousands in rent, food, travel. One term of staying home could save me 5-7k easily. Also, I didn't want to jump into signing a lease when wave 2 will likely come and lead to another lockdown.

3) 1L is mainly a studying year, your going to be home studying all day anyways, whether your in kingston or at home. The social,networking, and practical aspects of law school mainly come into play after 1L.

Edited by SamSam1995

I was in a zoom event recently with a group of law students from across the country who are involved with orientation at their schools. All of them indicated that, from what they have heard from entering 1L students, as well as upper years, is that most will be on campus, regardless of the extent of on-line learning. 

@SamSam1995  There are lots of opportunities for social events, ECs, networking, etc. in 1L. It's when most students get involved in those things. I don't know anyone who waited until upper years.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, erinl2 said:

I was in a zoom event recently with a group of law students from across the country who are involved with orientation at their schools. All of them indicated that, from what they have heard from entering 1L students, as well as upper years, is that most will be on campus, regardless of the extent of on-line learning. 

@SamSam1995  There are lots of opportunities for social events, ECs, networking, etc. in 1L. It's when most students get involved in those things. I don't know anyone who waited until upper years.

Yes, that's very true. However, at present time in society, the most social we can get is going to outdoor patios and small social circles outside.

As of yet, libraries, sitting in at restraunts, and small events are still prohibited. Correct me if Im wrong, but I think the courts are even closed.

Putting all this together, this fall will probably be very socially limited. Im thinking of doing online for a month, see whats going on at QL, and if things look good, I'll move out. Undergrads are all online, so finding a decent place should be easy.

Edited by SamSam1995

Going into 3L at Queen's and I definitely encourage any 1Ls on the fence (who are able financially) to bite the bullet and come to Kingston anyway. Yes, this will cost you more money than staying put. But 1L is hard, and sometimes lonely even in-person. I don't think I would have done as well as I did in 1L if I was not in Kingston for a number of reasons that I won't bore you with, but I am happy to chat with you if you want to PM me. Regardless of whether your classes are in person or not, there will be upper years in the city to help you. I am a tutor and will be tutoring remotely if Helen says that we have to, but many of my returning tutees (now going into 2L) have said they are comfortable with meeting in person (with masks as needed) for certain courses. At the end of the day, you have to make a decision that you are comfortable with and that sits right with you. My favourite part of QL is the community and while that is going to look different this year whether you're in Kingston or not, I still think it is worth it. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, bluebird said:

Going into 3L at Queen's and I definitely encourage any 1Ls on the fence (who are able financially) to bite the bullet and come to Kingston anyway. Yes, this will cost you more money than staying put. But 1L is hard, and sometimes lonely even in-person. I don't think I would have done as well as I did in 1L if I was not in Kingston for a number of reasons that I won't bore you with, but I am happy to chat with you if you want to PM me. Regardless of whether your classes are in person or not, there will be upper years in the city to help you. I am a tutor and will be tutoring remotely if Helen says that we have to, but many of my returning tutees (now going into 2L) have said they are comfortable with meeting in person (with masks as needed) for certain courses. At the end of the day, you have to make a decision that you are comfortable with and that sits right with you. My favourite part of QL is the community and while that is going to look different this year whether you're in Kingston or not, I still think it is worth it. 

Thanks for this, as an incoming 1L I am definitely going to be in Kingston. Also, I recently spoke to Helen about the tutoring program and she told me it will be up to the individual whether or not they feel comfortable tutoring in person.